Bangkok Bank

I was in the BKK bank today and picked up their free "Welcome" pamphlet.

It is well written in English, and covers pretty much the whole banking subject for foreigners in Thailand. I would recommend heading into your local branch and picking up a copy, particularly if you are new to Thailand.

I was in the branch office today at Future park to change my address.

There were a lot of people I guess because it's Friday before the holiday of the King's birthday.

I'll ask about the pamphlet in English next time.

Does anyone know if Bangkok bank is still the only bank that allows a savings account without a work permit?

I met another American there today and he said that Bangkok bank is the only bank that Social Security will deposit your monthly pension.

Again, this may only be the case for us without work permits.

He also said you can sign up for the SSA deposit at the American embassy in Bangkok. It takes about 2 months to start.

There were a lot of people I guess because it's Friday before the holiday of the King's birthday.

Does anyone know if Bangkok bank is still the only bank that allows a savings account without a work permit?

I met another American there today and he said that Bangkok bank is the only bank that Social Security will deposit your monthly pension.

He also said you can sign up for the SSA deposit at the American embassy in Bangkok. It takes about 2 months to start.

It's hit and miss on the branches of bank that will allow you to open without a work permit. 2 years ago i took my friend to bank of Ayudhaya at Fortune town and it was not problem not having a work permit, before that he tried Siam Commercial on Silom corner of Patpong they required him to have a work permit, he also tried siam commercial on Onnut, one of my friends had no problem with Siam commercial in Surin. so it all comes down to the branch.

Actually it is more than that - the account in Thailand will require the person to appear in person to withdraw funds so they meet the legal requirement for US deposit that after death no withdrawal can be made. Only Bangkok Bank PLC meets that requirement currently.

Actually it is more than that - the account in Thailand will require the person to appear in person to withdraw funds so they meet the legal requirement for US deposit that after death no withdrawal can be made. Only Bangkok Bank PLC meets that requirement currently.

Which is true for all US Treasury transfers whether they be Social Security, civil service and military pensions, or IRS refunds. The account in Thailand would be designated as a direct deposit account.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of trouble opening a Thai bank account at first as they always asked for a work permit. I then said I have a one year visa, a retirement visa and it says employment prohibited. So, they talked about it and said okay. So, now I have an acoount with Siam Commercial, and two with Bangkok Bank. I had to open a second Bangkok Bank account because Bank of America shut down my internet transfers to my older first account. No one could explain why. Someone finally said you cannot transfer funds internationally from the internet. I argued with them and it got me no where as usual. So, I just opened another account with a different account number it worked fine again. The fee just increased. Now B of A charges $3, Bangkok Bank charges $5 to $10 and 200 to 500 baht now, before it was just the $3 B of A fee. And now if you use your B of A ATM card, B of A charges $5, visa charges 1% and the Thai bank gets you for another 200 Baht or whatever it is. Guess the banks are making money again!

I had a bit of trouble opening a Thai bank account at first as they always asked for a work permit. I then said I have a one year visa, a retirement visa and it says employment prohibited. So, they talked about it and said okay. So, now I have an acoount with Siam Commercial, and two with Bangkok Bank. I had to open a second Bangkok Bank account because Bank of America shut down my internet transfers to my older first account. No one could explain why. Someone finally said you cannot transfer funds internationally from the internet. I argued with them and it got me no where as usual. So, I just opened another account with a different account number it worked fine again. The fee just increased. Now B of A charges $3, Bangkok Bank charges $5 to $10 and 200 to 500 baht now, before it was just the $3 B of A fee. And now if you use your B of A ATM card, B of A charges $5, visa charges 1% and the Thai bank gets you for another 200 Baht or whatever it is. Guess the banks are making money again!

Try BAnk of Ayuthea (yellow logos) their fees are most reasonable and less monkey business with their charges for using foreign ATM cards.