Is It Possible To Turn Off The Flashing Breaking News?

ForrestGump

Is it possible to somehow turn off Breaking News? I find it very disturbing. With all do respect, if I want to read the news, I'll read the news.. Don't want it flashed red in my face on every page I visit. It's rather insensitive also, since news can sometimes be shocking. There are times when you might not want to get all the misery of the world thrown at you.

I'm using Firefox and have tried to disable it with my regular adblockers, but no luck.

Cheers

As a frequent user here, I have other issues with it. If I was only on for 10 minutes every other day, the so called "breaking news" might be of interest. But for me, its the same loud red annoying thing with mostly stale (to me) so called news all the time. Why don't they do a poll and see how many people really want this "feature" and/or would like the option to turn it off (and on) at will? I would bet an opt out option would be very popular.

Thanks for the input guys. Perhaps I should have posted in one of the other topics, but I felt those took a slightly different turn, albeit equally important. I just think that in this day and age of sensationalism and absolute overflow of advertising, I consider the issue of choice to be very important, indeed crucial. As for me, an ever present news flash like this can easily make me stop visiting this otherwise wonderful forum. If we don't have it already, I suspect that in a near future people will develop ad/info allergies untreatable with anything other than long-term desert island visits.

Cheers

I have no problem with the news ticker itself, I just ignore it.

My problem is more of a technical nature since the constant re-loading of the cursor line at the end of the news item cause my screen to occasionally flicker and all of the time the mouse pointer is flickering with the hourglass (in all browsers but less in Chrome now).

My request to TV would be to please remove the file 'bkline.gif' from the news ticker!. The removal would certainly not have any effect on the news items shown since this file is for 'show only (decoration)' anyway.

opalhort

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The webmaster is on the case, please be patient.

Cheers

We are, but all users of IE, the majority, cannot see the useelss ticker anyway BUT it is covering the menu of settings messing up the screen....

Also the first post has lost the replay button.

I have been having problems with the TV website for several weeks now (and only the TV website!).

So I came to this forum to see if there were any known issues, my best guess is that this is what is causing my current problems.

My 'symptoms' are a flickering of the TV logo or failure to load logo in the page tab typically followed by a total crash of IE in around 50% of visits.

May I make a heartfelt plea to the webmaster to sort this out, I am now starting to avoid a site I regularly enjoy visiting due to the crashing problem. It seems a few others are having technical problems also, so I hope this can be fixed or instructions can be issued for members on how to change IE settings if this is an option.

This is the second time I have written this post, as you've guessed it..... my IE crashed on my first visit today !

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT:- Just noticed that the flickering logo in the page tab is exactly in time with the text arriving in the newsfeed. We have a winner, newsfeed guilty as charged !

Edited by realfunster