How To Get A Free Upgrade With An Airline?

Richb2004v2

In 40 years flying I got upgraded 4x from economy to business on 3 different airlines, always had a FF card with them, flights where definitely overbooked, that's for flying intercontinental (Europe-USA-Asia) 2/3x year, say 100 return trips.

So the conditions are:

1) flight must be overbooked

2) you should hold a FF card with that airline

I am gold since last flight with Etihad and don't expect free upgrade on next trip 2010.

I was upgraded once with them (see above conditions) from economy to business at check in and to first at boarding. Was the niciest flight ever.

The FF perks are satisfactory: business class check in with eco ticket, lounge access, 50% additional miles, 15kgs extra luggage with gold card (10kgs with silver)

My last 2 return trips were paid business class tickets and the previous upgraded with miles.

Next trip will be economy ticket, business class ticket price has been going up with 10k baht/year, no longer in my budget.

If you want to fly business, best way is to pay for it :)

You gotta look the part. Wear smart business clothing. Have appropriate luggage, not an old rucksack. Let the check-in know you are a member of the airline's frequent flyer scheme.

Most people I have seen in Business Class do not look "the part" you imagine.

Yes, that's 'cos they paid for a business class ticket. :)

We're talking here about how to increase your chances of a free upgrade.

I once got a free upgrade, from Economy to First, on Pan-Am ! (tells you how long ago this was !)

I was asked if I wished Smoking or non-Smoking (another guide to how long ago this was), and replied non-smoking, to find that the only non-smoking seat left was upstairs on the Jumbo. :)

Happy days ! :D

Since we have so many frequent fliers on this thread, are there any EVA fliers. I travel at least 2 times a year to

Thailand from USA, so I have accumulated a lot of miles. I have never used them to upgrade to another class. The

EVA website is not to clear on how to use them to upgrade. Does anyone have simple directions. Thanks.

I fly every other month from USA to Thailand and my travel agent gets upgrade for me by purchasing someone else miles and has them transferred to my account. Its hardly free but instead of paying the 5000 USD business class fare I get it for half price. Well worth it.

I fly back-and-froth BKK-San Francisco-BKK 6 times per year. My BKK travel agent gets me RT business class seats on United for US$3,000 ... and they are coded as full-fare tickets which gives me Global Services status on United which often gets me upgrades to 1st class, plus I get to go through the much faster VIP line through security. Definitely buy your tickets in Thailand ... they're much cheaper than buying in USA.

Since we have so many frequent fliers on this thread, are there any EVA fliers. I travel at least 2 times a year to

Thailand from USA, so I have accumulated a lot of miles. I have never used them to upgrade to another class. The

EVA website is not to clear on how to use them to upgrade. Does anyone have simple directions. Thanks.

Instructions are here.

This forum has a lot of EVA advice.

:)

Didn't that last bargirl in Bangkok teach you that nothing is really free? Just joking.

I've been upgraded twice from economy to Business...both times because the plane was full.

Once on JAL was upgraded from economy to first class when for whatever reason two flights were combined into one.

But that's in 30 years of flying...so don't expect free upgrades very often.

First of all, you can pay the difference between an economy fare and a business class fare at check in...or rather at the airline ticket desk at the airport. I've had the company I work for supply a third party (company paid) ticket which I upgraded at the airport before check in to business class by paying the fare difference, Since the company had already paid for an economy ticket, all I had to pay for was the difference between economy and business class.

To make the best use of your airlines frequent flyer club earn those free miles...and use them for upgrades. It isn't easy these days. Try to understand....the cheapest fare that doesn't give you free miles may not be the best option. It may be smarter to pay a little more and get more free miles....if you can afford it and you fly regularly.

Everybody want's to purchase their tickets on line. If you travel a lot...see what your travel agent can do for you. Here is Greece I can purchase a Thai Intenational Athens to Bangkok ticket at about 75% of what the same ticket costs on line. If you travel a lot, develop that relationship with your travel agent. You take care of him, he takes care of you with the best deals on business fares. There is such a thing as being "penny-wise pound-foolish".

And like somebody said...unless you live in the U.K. where there is a signifigant market in cut-rate and "bucket-shop" tour fares...buy your tickets in Thailand not in the U.S. or Europe if possible. I used to buy tickets from a Thai agent I knew. My tickets were always shown on the ticket as "full-fare" but I paid only about 70% of what the fare was shown on the ticket. (i.e. the ticket showed a 30K baht fare, but I actually paid 25K baht). Full fare tickets earn better miles. And often the taxes on the ticket are less in Thailand thru an agent than if you buy the ticket in Europe or the U.S. or online.

:D

P.S. And here's a tip. If you see the flight is very full...and the possibility seems to exist that the airline might be thinking of upgrades from Economy to Business...go and ask one of the airline staff at the check-in if uprades might happen, If they laugh and say no...you've lost nothing. If they say it's possible hang around by the airline desk or check-in with your ears open. Be the first one there and maybe you'll get lucky. What have you got to lose, you'll be waiting there anyhow.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Only guranteed way of getting upgraded is to get yourself a diplomatic passport. This one works every time!

Strange assertion:

1°) I don't see the holder of such a document asking for an upgrade based on "who" they are (maybe you are not aware of it, but holders of such a passport tend to keep a low profile as they are to be beyond reproach, or at least be more careful than ordinary citizens)

2°) I can't imagine an airline instructing their staff to do so

3°) When they fly back to their countries they do not have that status anymore so that would mean they could do the trick (which I sincerely doubt) only one way.

Ima_farang: you are suggesting that buying an upgrade to business is possible (which I know) but how much would you be required to pay in excess for a flight, let's say, Bangkok Athens?

Edited by alyx

a while back i was always flying back and foward to thailand and was always using thai airways so i held gold class status with them. i was always getting bumped up to business class and always wondering why, it happend 2 times in one year!

it had something to do with earing miles and not using them to get discount tickets and even a fly anywhere for free..

Regarding upgrading to business at airport.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ima_farang: you are suggesting that buying an upgrade to business is possible (which I know) but how much would you be required to pay in excess for a flight, let's say, Bangkok Athens?

The time I was refering to I was working on contract in Turkey.

I finished my contract and the company supplied me with a third party (company purchased ticket) Economy class from Istanbul to Bangkok.

I paid the difference, about $800 at the time, to upgrade to Business class.

A third party ticket can be used but not cashed in or exchanged, so other than for transportation it was useless to me.

It was nice to have the Business class seating and service.

I pay for business class becuase I don't want to fly economy. Why should someone else get an upgrade becuase they fly economy a lot?

If the flight is full and they upgrade you rather than put you on the next flight then OK.

Why do people always want something better than the next person without being prepared to pay for it?

I fly from DFw to Bkk six times a year on AA and JAL and also an AAdvantage platnum member so I get the miles. I like to use them for upgrades to buisness class using the miles and a $350.00 fee on the DFW to NRT leg and not always successful. On my next rip to BKK on 12 Jan I was able to confirm business class on my return drip but only mange to be put on a waiting list going. It isn't alwasys easy to get an upgrade like this so bet it is impossible to get a free upgrade on an international flight. Too many floks like me who are willing to use FF miles and pay the fees.