How To Get A Free Upgrade With An Airline?

Richb2004v2

I'm not sure if this belongs in the General forum. Feel free to move it.

I have flown with Emirates airlines from Thailand to North Africa and back every four weeks for the past five years and only had a FREE upgrade from economy to Business twice. I am a gold card holder and wonder if there is any strategy to getting an upgrade more often? I don't know why I got the two that I did. I could of course pay for the upgrade but I'm far too tight and may not enjoy it as much as getting it FREE :D If anyone has any ideas as to how you get selected please share them with me. I'm so sick of economy. :)

Thanks.

checking the last, chust before closing time, might give you a chance of an upgrade, as airlines occasionally overbook - it happened to me only once with british airways and on a short flight, so there was not much benefit, except a nice meal on a plate, instead of ready packed in a box.

but doing so there is a risk, that instead of upgrading, they will put you on a later flight and might or might not compensate.

Edited by londonthai

I fly every other month from USA to Thailand and my travel agent gets upgrade for me by purchasing someone else miles and has them transferred to my account. Its hardly free but instead of paying the 5000 USD business class fare I get it for half price. Well worth it.

I really do not think there is a sample answerer. I flew Gulf Air, Bahrain Bangkok and Bahrain London about 8 times a year and 50% of the time I was given a free up grade economy to business and business to first. Today the airlines have gotten tight.

I have an amusing story. On several occasions I have flown with my MD and some of our other directors from London to Bangkok. We always fly economy for the usual reasons, but I have been picked out of the line and upgraded to business class three times out of five. The reason is probably that I wear a reasonably nice suit, while our MD and directors wear designer Jeans and Tee Shirts. I have never let them forget it !

Edited by stolidfeline

checking the last, chust before closing time, might give you a chance of an upgrade, as airlines occasionally overbook - it happened to me only once with british airways and on a short flight, so there was not much benefit, except a nice meal on a plate, instead of ready packed in a box.

but doing so there is a risk, that instead of upgrading, they will put you on a later flight and might or might not compensate.

That's how I used to do it when I was flying back into Saudi, so no problems if I got bumped :)

Airlines offer free upgrades when coach has sold out and there is room in business class.

Offering a valued customer (sure!) an upgrade, free's up another seat in coach which is much easier to sell

If the airlines had any customer service at all they would offer free upgrades to valued customers even when coach if not 100% sold out

But we all know this is not the way.

You paid for coach and valued customer or not you will stay there if there are seats empty

Years ago, it was almost a given that gold flyers would get upgrade to business if there were seats available

Now a days things are much, much different

Airlines offer free upgrades when coach has sold out and there is room in business class.

Offering a valued customer (sure!) an upgrade, free's up another seat in coach which is much easier to sell

If the airlines had any customer service at all they would offer free upgrades to valued customers even when coach if not 100% sold out

But we all know this is not the way.

You paid for coach and valued customer or not you will stay there if there are seats empty

Years ago, it was almost a given that gold flyers would get upgrade to business if there were seats available

Now a days things are much, much different

No point in continually upgrading.....people will stop buying the business class seats just in case there is a good chance of an upgrade.....so lost revenue....leave in cattle class they might pay to fly business next trip!!!

last time I had an upgrade offered free of charge was 18 years ago. I had thought they did not exist anymore.

it was this year that BA put me in the business class because it was more convenient for them than bumping me on a later flight

last time I had an upgrade offered free of charge was 18 years ago. I had thought they did not exist anymore.

it was this year that BA put me in the business class because it was more convenient for them than bumping me on a later flight

A few years ago, I was Platinum on American Airlines for several years, so it was worth for me to fly on AA partner airlines, like BA, Qantas, Cathay and JAL. I got unexpected bumped to biz for single legs several times on Cathay, flying the Bkk-Hkg-Nrt route. Not sure what the reason was. I just went through economy check-in and when I got to the gate they had a new boarding pass waiting for me. If I recall correctly, my batting average asking for an upgrade at check-in has historically been pretty low, maybe 1 in 15 if not less.

I would also consider using frequent flyer miles as free upgrades. Accummulating these isn't as hard as it seems, when you lump in points from credit cards, hotels, rental cars, etc. It can pay to patronize the companies that group together.

I really do not think there is a sample answerer. I flew Gulf Air, Bahrain Bangkok and Bahrain London about 8 times a year and 50% of the time I was given a free up grade economy to business and business to first. Today the airlines have gotten tight.

Why should they give upgrades for free......I think it's you that is tight not the airlines!!

I pay for business class becuase I don't want to fly economy. Why should someone else get an upgrade becuase they fly economy a lot?

If the flight is full and they upgrade you rather than put you on the next flight then OK.

Why do people always want something better than the next person without being prepared to pay for it?

various upgrade strategies.

Get to know the check-in clerks and drop them a few quid and/or give them a present, deliver things to their friends at your destination

get to know the foreign station managers e.g. Lufthansa/BA/QA etc guy/girl at Bangkok, Thai guy in London etc etc..

if you are a frequent traveller on same route, marry one of them

Get to know the hostesses on board if you are a regular

get a travel agency business card/plastic ID, show it at check-in and ask for an upgrade-travel agencies get freebies, 50% discounted positive tickets, offers, upgrades etc etc

get a courier seat

join an airline

very few people you see going into first class or Business have paid the full whack and a number have paid nothing.

if you think the advice is too boring, or, too expensive, or, you couldn't be bothered, sit down the back, take a sleeping pill, or, get pissed!

Moreover, sometimes the upgrade is more trouble than its worth, the last time I was upgraded some oik sitting next to me spent the early part of the flight jumping over me to get to the aisle and eventually after the meal service, started playing with himself.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

If you are upgraded from cattle class to business class you miss out on painful knees from cramped conditions..

you don't get a back ache from seats with a minimal decline..

you won't be served that tasteless mush they call food...

you won't experience what it's like sitting very close to an extremely fat passenger with body odour...

you won't be able to join long queues waiting for some slow woman to vacate the toilet...

you don't get the pleasure of staying on board till the last when the upper class passengers are given priority to disembark....

Stay in cattle class, it's a lot more fun.

I once sat next to someone on a BAW flight LHR-BKK. They called his name over the PA, and he just sat there. The purser came up to him, asked him if he was MR.... He confirmed he was. They asked him if he knew a certain BAW 747 captain. Again he confirmed he did. The purser told him that he had contacted the senior captain on this flight, and he was offered a seat in business, and a visit to the cockpit. He turned it down. When asked if he was sure, and he said he was ok in economy. When the purser had gone, I asked the guy if he had had a bump on the head that morning. He said, he gets sick of it. Every time he flies they come up to him.

A visit to the cockpit, and he turned it down. I'd have ripped their arms off! :)

under normal circumstances an upgrade is given;

if economy is full and you have (achieved) your level on the specific airline global alliance card.

Lately, a Gold card is not strong enough to have frequent upgrades. I know for major airlines there are

at least 5 levels card.

1) member

2) silver

3) gold

4) platinum

5) diamond or (i.e. million mile club)

* the highest priority member goes first. usually knowing a gate agent use to help however the internal

system has gotten much advanced that an agent usually can not over-ride the upgrade unless approved

by their managers.

A few years ago, I was Platinum on American Airlines for several years, so it was worth for me to fly on AA partner airlines, like BA, Qantas, Cathay and JAL. I got unexpected bumped to biz for single legs several times on Cathay, flying the Bkk-Hkg-Nrt route. Not sure what the reason was. I just went through economy check-in and when I got to the gate they had a new boarding pass waiting for me. If I recall correctly, my batting average asking for an upgrade at check-in has historically been pretty low, maybe 1 in 15 if not less.

I would also consider using frequent flyer miles as free upgrades. Accummulating these isn't as hard as it seems, when you lump in points from credit cards, hotels, rental cars, etc. It can pay to patronize the companies that group together.

I've been a gold elite card holder with Northwest (now Delta) for years as I travel between the US and Asia several times a year and also fly regularly on coast to coast flights within the US. I have experienced the same as you. Once they overbook coach class (which is surprisingly often) they start upgrading the elite members in order of elite status (silver, gold or platinum) and type of fare paid. I always buy coach class tickets to/from BKK but usually get a free unexpected upgrade on at least one leg of the flight about every third trip. I get most of the upgrades during high season when coach sells out more often.

I have had this pleasure on Iberia ,Sri Lankan (hardly notice the difference in service but oh the comfy chairs!

Also Gulf and Qantas have been kond over the Years

In addition to al the above tips being sober and bathed are de rigeur as you wil allowed into the plush.

Best of all was Malaysian who forced me up to first class Darwin to KL many years ago Mmmm

You gotta look the part. Wear smart business clothing. Have appropriate luggage, not an old rucksack. Let the check-in know you are a member of the airline's frequent flyer scheme.

Ive had a few upgrades, if the plane is full theyll bump you up but its easier for them if you are a single traveller and dont look like a backpacker. There are no rules to this in my opinion. I too am in the Emirates program are you aware of the new canges to it making silver and gold even harder to get? they are slowly removing all benefits except for wealthier travellers.

First went silver membesr can bring a friend into the lounge with them , then went 20000 miles to keep your silver membership up to 25000miles now they have cut the miles you will get each trip in my case now making me miss silver each year by 500 miles unless I come 3 times. I wrote and thanked them they told me of all the wonderful new benefits, Im looking at other carriers now.

service and quality sometime in business has been poor . the only business class worth havng on my trip UK to BKK is on the A 380 the Boeings are awful in business class.

Edited by yabaaaa

You gotta look the part. Wear smart business clothing. Have appropriate luggage, not an old rucksack. Let the check-in know you are a member of the airline's frequent flyer scheme.

Most people I have seen in Business Class do not look "the part" you imagine.

Most people I have seen in Business Class do not look "the part" you imagine.

Maybe because they hold their business class ticket

We fly (and pay full price for) business (mind we prefer flying less but better) on long haul (Two/three hours are not worth the expense especially on some airlines) and I don't think we would be upgraded as we always book our seats along with the tickets

What you wear and what you carry have never made any difference at the check in counter (when flying economy) although there are two notable differences: when the business class counter is empty we approach the attendant who usually check us in and when boarding, we usually are the last to do so waiting as much as we can in order not to stand in queue, I feel we get a warmer welcome at the door

Another thing is that the attendant is fully aware that you are a FF of the airline as it is on record on your ticket and, by the way, I hold something like 30 FF cards ans I must have flown on 5 or 6 different airlines so...

But sincerely if someone were to be upgraded to Business or first (which I doubt nowadays) I could not care less (in any case I would not have to sit next to this passenger as we always fly together with my friend) That person is just lucky so enjoy

Edited by alyx

Nothing is free anymore. I have 100K miles in Star Alliance, I was recently trying to book a ticket online to the USA, in my online searches on United I first clicked on lowest fare and would get a reasonable fare, however when I clicked on the button to upgrade, the fare suddenly increased double price. So, I went downtown to find the office opposite the US Embassy had moved to Sathorn Soi 7. During the booking process the agent asked if I wanted to use my miles for an upgrade and again a higher fare was quoted. I hadn't experienced this in the past when I upgraded without paying more from economy. Times have changed.

I got upgraded once - on BA BKK-SYD. It was the first time I had flown after joining their FF scheme and went from premium economy to business. Used that card a few times and never had the same luck again. No longer fly BA so not expecting to.

I now fly Thai exclusively LHR-BKK-SYD and have gold ff. I always buy my business class seats. Never had a 1st upgrade.

On youtube there are some vids about getting upgraded and other tips.

Basically, you get one if you're lucky and it suits them.