Best Beaches Around Phuket

GBHuhd

Hi,

Just wondering where the best beaches are around Phukhet (ie, good for swimming and not overrun with people and sunbeds), staying around Patong and i recall the beach isn't the best so would like to get out and about in the daytime to sweat out the old hangover. If anyone has any recommendations of beaches not too far to get to, then be appreciated.

Cheers

Close to Patong .... has to be Paradise beach. South end of Patong Beach, over the hill to Merlin Beach resort, road ends, over a steep narrow road, takes you tp Paradise beach. 150m long, quite, good water quality, small eatery bar. BUT you need to pay to use the beach, should be free but someone will demand money... :) Read this topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Phuket-Beach...=paradise+beach

Google Paradise Beach Phuket for more information.

Kata beach is really nice but pretty busy, was fantastic before the Tsunami but was destroyed not by the Tsunami but rather all the PR from the Tsunami because when I came back 2 years after the Tsunami things had changed dramaticly. Same with Nai Harn beach on the southern end. Used to be one of Phukets best kept secrets with only a few loungers being used, now there jammed in 2 rows deep from end to end. The beach used to be lined with little mom and pop bars and shops but when they were flattened by the Tsunami they were replaced with guest hoses and hotels. Really sad but typical of the tourist trade, once a place catches on it can quickly be stampeded by paradise seekers and if its a small place like Naiharn it can be overrun very quickly. Dont get me wrong its still really nice, much better than patong but If you seen it 7 or 8 years ago you would be dissapointed to see it now.

If you truly want to escape the crowds, avoid rip offs with deck chairs/parking, and not pay silly money for a drink, head towards the northern end of Chalong Bay, about a couple of hundred yards from the Novotel. Couple of good beach bar/restaurants, great beach where you can walk/swim without hassle, and some of the best views on the island. Best way to describe getting there is to head for Ao Makham/Cape Panwa, and then get directions towards the Novotel. Another alternative is Ao Yon, with a couple of good beaches and again wonderful scenery.

Kata beach is really nice but pretty busy, was fantastic before the Tsunami but was destroyed not by the Tsunami but rather all the PR from the Tsunami because when I came back 2 years after the Tsunami things had changed dramaticly. Same with Nai Harn beach on the southern end. Used to be one of Phukets best kept secrets with only a few loungers being used, now there jammed in 2 rows deep from end to end. The beach used to be lined with little mom and pop bars and shops but when they were flattened by the Tsunami they were replaced with guest hoses and hotels. Really sad but typical of the tourist trade, once a place catches on it can quickly be stampeded by paradise seekers and if its a small place like Naiharn it can be overrun very quickly. Dont get me wrong its still really nice, much better than patong but If you seen it 7 or 8 years ago you would be dissapointed to see it now.

Agree, Nai Harn very disappointing. Overrun with 'soi dogs', and various vendors. Sad place. Kata beach only for those who don't have transport to get anywhere else.

you'll find the best beaches in Phuket by dating/ marrying a local lady who was brought up there.( Short of that..pm me if you wish and i'll tell you one of them if you don't spread it all around) signed: kill 2 birds with one stone

I lived in Kata before the Tsunami, during and after. Cant see the change. It was and still is crowded of 2-week holiday guests from 09-17 and a wonderful place 07-08 in the morning and after sunset.

Not sure how good the swimming is, but Mai Khao (north of the airport) is the longest stretch of uncluttered beach I have seen in Phuket (or anywhere for that matter). I walked for an hour one morning (during the low season) and only encountered 4 people: two Thais fishing and two farang strolling. Nary a beach chair and only a few guest houses.

I lived in Kata before the Tsunami, during and after. Cant see the change. It was and still is crowded of 2-week holiday guests from 09-17 and a wonderful place 07-08 in the morning and after sunset.

I lived in Kata before and after tsunami, and I am in agreement with you KBB. Not much change. Not sure what camster is on about. Kata is "good" but "destroyed"? Makes no sense.

Used to be one of Phukets best kept secrets with only a few loungers being used, now there jammed in 2 rows deep from end to end. The beach used to be lined with little mom and pop bars and shops but when they were flattened by the Tsunami they were replaced with guest hoses and hotels.

Don't know whether you're talking about Kata or Nai Harn Beach here, but on neither of these beaches you'll find guesthouses and hotels on the beach that replaces mom and pop bars.

you'll find the best beaches in Phuket by dating/ marrying a local lady who was brought up there.( Short of that..pm me if you wish and i'll tell you one of them if you don't spread it all around) signed: kill 2 birds with one stone

I would imagine for the majority of TV posters finding the 'best beach' would be infinitely easier than dating / marrying a local woman.

I would imagine for the majority of TV posters finding the 'best beach' would be infinitely easier than dating / marrying a local woman.

And to add to the problem, very very few Thai's in Phuket are from Phuket originally. Everyone is a transplant after the money. Especially the girls.

Not that hard to locate the nice beaches really. I haven't seen Nui beach mentioned. Access 1km or so past Karon Viewpoint going towards Rawaii. You will see a sign, but bring a dirtbike or 4wd. Your Toyota Yaris, Honda Wave or CBR won't make it, as I learned. You must pay to cross private land to access the beach.

Also at the end of the paved road which heads towards the water directly from Karon viewpoint is a little beach which some Thai's have set up a little bar and made some stairs down to. You must also pay to cross their land. The beach is so small they only let a few people on it at a time. I think I heard full nudity is tolerated there as well if that's your thing, but not sure on that as I have never gone down the the beach, only talked to the Thai's there.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Yanui beach - from Nai Harn lake/lagoon take the road up to Cape Phromthep, you'll see it on the way. Fairly quiet little beach - tho nowhere quiet in high season I guess.

Ah, always wondered what the little beach was called. I think you have to pay to get to that one as well but I am not sure.

Yanui beach - from Nai Harn lake/lagoon take the road up to Cape Phromthep, you'll see it on the way. Fairly quiet little beach - tho nowhere quiet in high season I guess.

Ah, always wondered what the little beach was called. I think you have to pay to get to that one as well but I am not sure.

I don't think so - have not been on the beach for quite a while but we did not pay. You used to have to pay for parking across the road, though it was never manned when we went, so you either paid or not.

does anyone know what Rawai beach and Chalong Bay are like?
Rawai is a nice place to relax, but not a nice beach. And Chalong has a beach in a few places, but nothing like some of the nicer beaches like Kata, Nai Harn, etc.

Ao Sane is quite a nice little beach, with only a handful of people there. Just take the road that leads from Nai Harn beach to the Royal Phuket Yacht Club and go through the hotel area, after that follow the road and after a few hundred meters there is a little bay with beach to your left hand side.