Anyone Selling Cheap Full Faced Or Mx Style Helmets?

mxyz250newb

i ended up going to scootex and bought a "real" helmet, mx style, 2200 baht

the helmet doesnt fit my head the greatest, i'm kicking myself in the ass for not bringing my own cheapo helmet here (altho admittedly nicer than the "real " helmet) but it will do me fine for now i guess :)

Maybe he has geared his spending power on a crashhemet, to the worth of its contents ! :D

One born every day, I suppose!

Hey, at least he's ahead of 90% of the riders in Thailand by actually wearing a helmet! Bet it works better than the unbuckled beanie helmet, most commonly seen on the BIB. And the better quality Real helmets seem pretty darn close to being real helmets, so good product for your money mxyz250newbie.

After having an Arai cut off a rental scooter in Bangkok a year ago, like many people use a Thai helmet for in town shopping (Spent that much on a helmet once before, yeah when I was like 13 30 years ago).

Just look at all the bike's from the recent Chiang Mai bike week, many near million baht Harley's with Index helmets resting on bars and mirrors. Spending less than 1 percent the total cost of your bike on safety gear......guess money needs to be better spent on bike bling and bike babes. :)

wow I can't believe the hatorade I got over buying a "cheap" helmet

let me tell you this, i've had some of the nicest helmets money can buy, Airoh, Arai, Suomy, OGK... and guess what, theres manufacturers like KBC that put out a great helmet thats about 95% of the helmet that costs 6X the price. 

Keep in mind price doesnt always dictate safer.... take this for example

I wrecked a motorcycle wearing an "expensive" helmet, it took a good knock for me and I was out cold, anyways after doing some research i found out it was a snell approved helmet (they are made to be harder than most DOT helmets because they have to take 2 hammer strikes to the same spot in formal testing) and I found out that snell is actually LESS safe in 99% of crash scenarios!!!!  I'm not saying the helmet wasnt a good thing, but now I always avoid snell. WOW that helmet was one of the most expensive I ever bought , and its less safe than a cheapo 60 dollar DOT helmet!

The real helmet I bought fits my head 97% as good as the ones I have back home, i'm just extremely picky, if you seen me wear it and u tugged on it you would think its a perfect fit, and to be honest i think the foam just needed a bit of time to breakin because now its just as comfertable as the stuff back home

the quality of the real helmet is FAR superior to any other brand i've seen in thailand, and whats funny is, if you reasearch SparX helmets (u can buy in usa) its a budget brand, running about 60-110 dollars for their mx helmets, and i have one, and its nicer than most fox helmets that retail at $400!!!

safety doesnt always have to come at an extreme price

for you naysayers out there, go look at real helmets, they actually arent that bad... the flimsy nose jelly piece is the only bad thing I can say about it, the glue is weak in that area, i actually pulled one off in the store, but mine seems to be holding up fine

I still can't believe some of you guys, honestly...you act like i'm goddamned retarded and its really pissed me off and if I could i'd probably be giving somebody a pasting if they said some of this stuff to my face,.. candidate for darwin? you gotta be joking me,  the only dumb thing i've done was NOT bring my own helmet from abroad, some of you guys need to re-evaluate your current situations in life and realize not everyone is rich and wants to blow 800$ USD on a helmet

Edited by mxyz250newb

I forgot to mention i'm a bit of a helmet fanatic / collector. I have about 12 right now. I am anal about fitment.

My main mx lid is an o'neal, the quality/fit finish is superb, I got it for a discounted price of $180 it was advertised at 400$....now ... if you thought they sold for 180 new, would it make it any less safe than the 400 dollar helmets advertised beside it? You guys get what i'm saying here.  Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you don't.  You dont have to spend 900 dollars to get a safe helmet.

If money was no object I would have 3 different colors of Airoh (not arai) brand mx helmets, they are trick.

My backup / buddy lids are all SparX, they are EXTREMELY nice for the price, can be found in closeout sales for around 60 bucks. If you seen it at the store with a $300-400 dollar price tag you would not be shocked at all.

Something is only worth as much as what people will pay...I seen a dude spend about 900 bucks on an arai helmet just because he wanted to be sure he had the best...and yah, they ARE nice, but you arent getting any value out of it, it still has to be chucked in 5 years anyways... and if you do any amount of mx riding you will understand crashing happens, and if u hit ur head or even drop the helmet, ur supposed to replace it... at 900 bucks a shot i'll look elsewhere

Arais will always be a ripoff because people get conned thinking no other helmets or safe or as good, well guess what, some brands are now BETTER, yes, BETTER. Not just in graphics but fit and finish and liners and padding and just everything.

I would rate the REAL helmet I got from scootex, a 6.5/10, its comfertable, looks good, and so far no complaints, it would of got a 7 but I seen one of the jelly's tear easily at the store.

Oneals MX I would have to rate at a 8/10

Fox MX brand helmets I give a 7/10

OGK street helmets i like em, 8.5/10 quality of paint was fantastic, removable liner

Arai street helmet I had, was actually really similar to my ogk 8.5/10, paint good as well, removable liner

Suomy street helmet 8/10, paint really amazing actually but alot of wind noise, removable liner

SparX 7.5/10 you can't beat the value for the price

KBC same as SparX 7.5

and now the only helmet I give a 10/10... AIROH!!!! you have to check these guys out! i've got a brand new one sitting on my shelf for when I crash in the oneal and hit my head :)

a65eac3ffd1ad679a260aac9aa33627d_4a7fe2a245986.jpg

airoh-stelt-view.jpg

Edited by mxyz250newb