Would You Do It And Retire Early?

Gary74

I guess whoever posted about waiting until 65 is near that age already because if you in your mid 40s, the thought of 20 more years is impossible. In this sort of planning, I am not sure you can push the envelope out any farther than 5 years and even that is a very long way off.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

I would definitely do it. If you are earning 140k in the US, then, you are obviously a professional in your given field. So, you have to say that you never lose your experience and education. In short, if things did not work out in Thailand, you could always go back and get another job in the US.

I am in a pretty similar boat except that I am 35. Don't have 600k saved but around 1/2 of that and I earn around 150k/yr to 160k/yr. I just got back to the states from a month long vacation in Pattaya. I fell in love with the place, the people, and of course the women. Since I have been back in the states, I always think of Pattaya. I am always thinking of what I can do to get back and live there. I even considered being an english or math teacher in Bangkok. Could make around 66k baht/mo in bangkok teaching math (Registered Professional Engineer in the US) and had already discussed a job with a private school in Bangkok. In any case, I am consumed with thinking of how I can move to Thailand on a permanent basis. I don't feel comfortable with the money I have saved and hate to think of making so much less in Thailand (English teachers can make as little as 30k baht/mo).

It is really hard to give up good money. But hel_l, you have to say to yourself the only reason we work so hard is so we can enjoy life. In the month I was in Pattaya, I had more fun than I ever had in the US. So, if we seek enjoyment out of life, Thailand is the place. I'll still stay for a few years in the US to work, earn and hopefully save.

Also, be cautious with your $600k US Dollars. The dollar has been falling for a while and will likely fall more. We have borrowed too much money and continue to do so. What happens when we start monetizing our debt? Then the dollar will go down further. You could do a hedge or something and put some of your dollars in another currency. Maybe the Austrailian Dollar. I would look into it or at least keep your eye on the dollar index. A falling dollar is NOT good for non-working principal. It is the same thing as losing money every day.

Just something to consider.

Live your life and enjoy Thailand. I am jealous :) Good Luck.

-Anthony

Whatever you don't change USD to AUD, they AUD lost all it's value in the last 2 years. You would be better in the Yen or Euros.

Also Anthony some teachers are making even less than 30K I know one guy working for a government school only making 16K, I just don't know how they can live on that. You might want to check with an international school as you might be able to make more. I have heard of teachers in the international schools making up around 100K. You might even be able to get work as an engineer. I came to Thailand in 2000 when I was 33 as an Elec. engineer and worked for a few companies and then did consulting work making decent money. I know things have changed in this field in the last 5 yrs or so. I opened my own company so Im not involved in that field anymore but check around with some recruitment companies they maybe able to find you some work as an engineer, you still wont make what you made in the US, but can make better money than what you would teaching.

Good Luck to both of you,,,, I know I'm 100% happy that I decided to move to Thailand when I did.

Eric,

I have tried JobsDB.com/th but have not had any success. I am a structural engineer, so, if you know any recruiter contacts, let me know. You can send me a PM or just post.

As for the AUD, I should have specified that I was talking about a carry trade. If you look at the AUD/USD pair, the AUD has been on a strong uptrend since we bailed out the banks. All of those trillions are going to have to be paid back and we cannot pay them back (not with taxes). So, the FED will have to monetize the debt which will make the dollar fall more, IMO. The same thing with the pound and other european currencies (again just my opinion).

Gary and Eric, I wish I could say that I lived in Thailand. You two are Lucky Dogs :D

Gary,

I would definitely do it. If you are earning 140k in the US, then, you are obviously a professional in your given field. So, you have to say that you never lose your experience and education. In short, if things did not work out in Thailand, you could always go back and get another job in the US.

I am in a pretty similar boat except that I am 35. Don't have 600k saved but around 1/2 of that and I earn around 150k/yr to 160k/yr. I just got back to the states from a month long vacation in Pattaya. I fell in love with the place, the people, and of course the women. Since I have been back in the states, I always think of Pattaya. I am always thinking of what I can do to get back and live there. I even considered being an english or math teacher in Bangkok. Could make around 66k baht/mo in bangkok teaching math (Registered Professional Engineer in the US) and had already discussed a job with a private school in Bangkok. In any case, I am consumed with thinking of how I can move to Thailand on a permanent basis. I don't feel comfortable with the money I have saved and hate to think of making so much less in Thailand (English teachers can make as little as 30k baht/mo).

It is really hard to give up good money. But hel_l, you have to say to yourself the only reason we work so hard is so we can enjoy life. In the month I was in Pattaya, I had more fun than I ever had in the US. So, if we seek enjoyment out of life, Thailand is the place. I'll still stay for a few years in the US to work, earn and hopefully save.

Also, be cautious with your $600k US Dollars. The dollar has been falling for a while and will likely fall more. We have borrowed too much money and continue to do so. What happens when we start monetizing our debt? Then the dollar will go down further. You could do a hedge or something and put some of your dollars in another currency. Maybe the Austrailian Dollar. I would look into it or at least keep your eye on the dollar index. A falling dollar is NOT good for non-working principal. It is the same thing as losing money every day.

-Anthony

Whatever you don't change USD to AUD, they AUD lost all it's value in the last 2 years. You would be better in the Yen or Euros.

Also Anthony some teachers are making even less than 30K I know one guy working for a government school only making 16K, I just don't know how they can live on that. You might want to check with an international school as you might be able to make more. I have heard of teachers in the international schools making up around 100K. You might even be able to get work as an engineer. I came to Thailand in 2000 when I was 33 as an Elec. engineer and worked for a few companies and then did consulting work making decent money. I know things have changed in this field in the last 5 yrs or so. I opened my own company so Im not involved in that field anymore but check around with some recruitment companies they maybe able to find you some work as an engineer, you still wont make what you made in the US, but can make better money than what you would teaching.

Good Luck to both of you,,,, I know I'm 100% happy that I decided to move to Thailand when I did.

Eric,

I have tried JobsDB.com/th but have not had any success. I am a structural engineer, so, if you know any recruiter contacts, let me know. You can send me a PM or just post.

As for the AUD, I should have specified that I was talking about a carry trade. If you look at the AUD/USD pair, the AUD has been on a strong uptrend since we bailed out the banks. All of those trillions are going to have to be paid back and we cannot pay them back (not with taxes). So, the FED will have to monetize the debt which will make the dollar fall more, IMO. The same thing with the pound and other european currencies (again just my opinion).

Gary and Eric, I wish I could say that I lived in Thailand. You two are Lucky Dogs :D

Hey Anthony,

I know how you feel exactly. Before moving to Thailand I was working for an engineering company who sent me all over the place. When they 1st sent me to Thailand I couldn't wait to go back, luckily that was mid 90's so things were hot in Asia for projects and I was coming to Thailand (Philippines, Korea, Taiwan) on a regular basis about every couple of months and usually staying 2-3 weeks, however I did have to work, the nights were great, the mornings sucked. When I would be back at the office in the US all I was thinking about when am I going back. I know it's allot harder to get a job in Thailand now as they are making it harder for expats to work here and most companies are looking for the low cost Thai labor. You might see if you can start a thread that you are looking for a job, not sure if that's allowed, but I do know some members here own construction companies so they might be able to help you find something. I dont know the members names, just recall reading some replies to that affect. The company I own now has nothing to do with engineering or I would try and help you.

Maybe do a google search for a recruitment agency in Thailand and see what you come up with, I do know there are few in Thailand but dont know any names only heard a few guys talking about them when the one guy was looking for a job in the oil industry. Which I know that is getting harder too, one of my friends works for a big oil company and has been transfered to rig in Africa because they are getting pressure to use thai labor on the oil rigs here. I can tell you after a few year of living here it's not as exciting to go out, but still love living in Thailand. I do hope you find a job in Thailand other than teaching, I know I would not be happy teaching, I have nothing but respect for the teachers as that is a hard job, just I think its a hard job for little money. Good luck, if you need anything you can post here or PM me and I will try to help.

I guess whoever posted about waiting until 65 is near that age already because if you in your mid 40s, the thought of 20 more years is impossible. In this sort of planning, I am not sure you can push the envelope out any farther than 5 years and even that is a very long way off.

One of my main reason for early retirement comes from normal retirees in their 60's who always complain how they envy younger men with energy, strength and stamina for varies activities. Best to do it younger if you have the means to do so and still have the time to run around the block or more. Money isn't everything and you can take it with you when you kick the bucket. Best to enjoy the finer things in life while you still have the enegy, strength, endurance, stamina and health :) You never know what could happen tomorrow.

Edited by Gary74

I'd be bored to tears if I had to stop work now at 37! I have similar saved in cash terms but a large pension pot already which is my safety net for any market downturns.... I can't imagine living on less than 100k per month would be much fun for me, i've pencilled in 100-125k a month to live quite happily for a few years but i've got 175-200 by the time i'm 55 (given inflation rates of 3% this may not be enough) when i can draw a decent pension and use savings. I disagree with those who say buy a house, i wouldn't dream of it, i can rent and earn more on my savings in interest than plonking dead monry on a house? it also gives me the flexibility to move if i choose and when i choose.

I'd do the maths a bit better, by the time inflation has hammered your real net worth in 20 years you may wish you had saved for a few more years and partied just a little less with the ladies.

Edited by BusyBee123

Gary,

-Anthony

Eric,

Hey Anthony,

I know how you feel exactly. Before moving to Thailand I was working for an engineering company who sent me all over the place. When they 1st sent me to Thailand I couldn't wait to go back, luckily that was mid 90's so things were hot in Asia for projects and I was coming to Thailand (Philippines, Korea, Taiwan) on a regular basis about every couple of months and usually staying 2-3 weeks, however I did have to work, the nights were great, the mornings sucked. When I would be back at the office in the US all I was thinking about when am I going back. I know it's allot harder to get a job in Thailand now as they are making it harder for expats to work here and most companies are looking for the low cost Thai labor. You might see if you can start a thread that you are looking for a job, not sure if that's allowed, but I do know some members here own construction companies so they might be able to help you find something. I dont know the members names, just recall reading some replies to that affect. The company I own now has nothing to do with engineering or I would try and help you.

Maybe do a google search for a recruitment agency in Thailand and see what you come up with, I do know there are few in Thailand but dont know any names only heard a few guys talking about them when the one guy was looking for a job in the oil industry. Which I know that is getting harder too, one of my friends works for a big oil company and has been transfered to rig in Africa because they are getting pressure to use thai labor on the oil rigs here. I can tell you after a few year of living here it's not as exciting to go out, but still love living in Thailand. I do hope you find a job in Thailand other than teaching, I know I would not be happy teaching, I have nothing but respect for the teachers as that is a hard job, just I think its a hard job for little money. Good luck, if you need anything you can post here or PM me and I will try to help.

I appreciate the sincerity in your post and taking the time to reply. You seem like a cool guy. Yes, I have fallen in love with Thailand. Now, I just need to figure out how to get there without being totally irresponsible on my part. I will be going back in March. I still keep thinking of it every day. It is crazy.

Here is a funny thing. I had a beautiful vietnamese girl friend in the US but I did not want to get serious. Honestly, I don't want to be in any serious relationship b/c then I will not be able to go to Thailand. Pretty Crazy but that is the way I am thinking and have been thinking ever since I left Thailand in early October. Wow, I am avoiding serious relationships in the US b/c I think my heart is in Thailand :D

I love the beaches, the islands and the general warmness of the Thais.

Take it easy

-Anthony

Retirement is great,but many people will miss some form of work if they retire too early.The novelty of continuous partying wears off after a year or so.

My advice would be to keep your full time work options open for a while before you make an irreversible decision.

Sound advice indeed.

Doing groceries, cooking, cleaning and sport 4x a week pretty much is a job for me...

Hi Crypt36, you are right. we MUST do something "clean" (let's leave the dirty ones at night). What about snorkelling ? Do you know some good places to go around Pattaya? And walking in the woods/jungle? I'm really new in here and im reading from the Forum all your advices.

Im happy as i can have at my disposal more than 100kBaht/m.... but the real danger is depression for lack of activity.

ONE THING I WANT TO ADDRESS: STUDY THAI

I want to open an item in here, about schools and experiences... is it felt as an important point.

Any coment welcomed.

You only live once,dont waste it working ,twice i had money and took a couple of years off ,ive never worked very hard but had a nack of making enough to live quite well ,i retired early ,one of the best things i did . A few good wives(including the presant Mrs Thaimate) a couple of good kids and a life of doing what i want ,bl---y fantastic. :)

You only live once,dont waste it working ,twice i had money and took a couple of years off ,ive never worked very hard but had a nack of making enough to live quite well ,i retired early ,one of the best things i did . A few good wives(including the presant Mrs Thaimate) a couple of good kids and a life of doing what i want ,bl---y fantastic. :D

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!! If you think you can retire at 42 - just do it!! Why wait until 65.. .what's the fun in that :) . I'm 48 and basically been on a cruising mode since my early 40 - had I stayed at my job - could have been a senior VP, but hey life's a bitch and then you die..... No Regrets!!!!!!!!

I would definatley go for it. Plan your maths on the fiscal and adopt a life style in Thailand that you are happy with and affordable. Prob the best move you can make. I would plan on having a girl along the way. Over here they expect you to 'take care', which, basically means YOU PAY.

I appreciate the sincerity in your post and taking the time to reply. You seem like a cool guy. Yes, I have fallen in love with Thailand. Now, I just need to figure out how to get there without being totally irresponsible on my part. I will be going back in March. I still keep thinking of it every day. It is crazy.

Here is a funny thing. I had a beautiful vietnamese girl friend in the US but I did not want to get serious. Honestly, I don't want to be in any serious relationship b/c then I will not be able to go to Thailand. Pretty Crazy but that is the way I am thinking and have been thinking ever since I left Thailand in early October. Wow, I am avoiding serious relationships in the US b/c I think my heart is in Thailand :)

I love the beaches, the islands and the general warmness of the Thais.

Take it easy

-Anthony

Thank for thinking Im cool, I try (he he) I can understand passing on a serious relationship, however I would not give up on the Vietnamese girl keep her around. I lived in HCMC for 1 year and it was ok, just not the same as Thailand. I agree with you about Thailand, just feels like home. I love the laid back way of life. It would be cool to meet up for a beer when you get back, send me a PM when you are coming and I will see if I can get down to BKK or Pattaya. When you do end up living in Thailand dont jump into any releastionship play the field. I held out for 8yrs before meeting the right girl, met some girls that were nice and all but just not great, which is what I have now. There is allot of things to learn when you move and things are not always made easy by the powers that be, but all in all I still love the place. I have changed things this past year and now living in the USA part of the year and Thailand part of the year which is working out well. Hope you can find a way to move here without having to take a big hit on your income, I really dont know how some of these guys are living on less than 30K per month. Good luck pal!!!!

Your plan sounds perfect. Being able to work for only 3 months and make that kind of money is fantastic. I worked in the World Trade Center in New York City...and was on my way there when the planes crashed on 9-11. A life changing event for sure. I decided to take 3 months off. I was 44 at the time. And making a ton of dough in my job. 2 years later, I returned...with a Thai wife. We both loved NYC, but I hated the weather and the rat race. Quit my job after one year and have never looked back.

I have visited well over 40 countries since 2002. Stayed here in Thailand off and on and now have a house in NaJomtien. We have been to many of the retirement destinations around the world...and love Thailand the best. Pattaya is a great base for you. Relatively inexpensive living here.

I make about what you do off some investments...and it is plenty. I could never just hang out here full time. Thailand is a great base to explore this part of the world. Not sure if you like to travel, but there is so much to do and see within a few hours plane ride. Truly some amazing stuff. And Pattaya has quite a bit to do also. The balloon fest was great this past weekend. There is a music fest next weekend near Bang Saray. Live jazz out at the Silverlake winery on Saturday...plenty to do...

I am glad I retired early. So many things I did would be harder as I get older (climb Kili, trek Nepal, hike Patagonia, spend 30 days doing the TransSiberian, etc). I don't plan to quit doing these, but sure glad I did them when I did. Every year, it gets harder!

At my old job, my VP was 47 years old and worth 50 Mil...USD. Big money. Never smoked, never drank, exercised almost every day...and dropped dead of a massive heart attack. That was another factor in my decision. He was a very close friend of mine...and I promised myself I would live life to it's fullest. 9-11 made me take advantage of that dream.

I still spend part of the year in the US. It is nice to be back home, see your friends, eat good Mexican food...HA! HA! I would also heed ericthai's advise. Don't jump into a relationship too soon. It is so dam_n easy to do here, but try and hold off...if you can!

Take advantage...you are so lucky...best of luck. If you are in Pattaya, PM me and we can have a beer some day.

Craig

Your plan sounds perfect. Being able to work for only 3 months and make that kind of money is fantastic. I worked in the World Trade Center in New York City...and was on my way there when the planes crashed on 9-11. A life changing event for sure. I decided to take 3 months off. I was 44 at the time. And making a ton of dough in my job. 2 years later, I returned...with a Thai wife. We both loved NYC, but I hated the weather and the rat race. Quit my job after one year and have never looked back.

I have visited well over 40 countries since 2002. Stayed here in Thailand off and on and now have a house in NaJomtien. We have been to many of the retirement destinations around the world...and love Thailand the best. Pattaya is a great base for you. Relatively inexpensive living here.

I make about what you do off some investments...and it is plenty. I could never just hang out here full time. Thailand is a great base to explore this part of the world. Not sure if you like to travel, but there is so much to do and see within a few hours plane ride. Truly some amazing stuff. And Pattaya has quite a bit to do also. The balloon fest was great this past weekend. There is a music fest next weekend near Bang Saray. Live jazz out at the Silverlake winery on Saturday...plenty to do...

I am glad I retired early. So many things I did would be harder as I get older (climb Kili, trek Nepal, hike Patagonia, spend 30 days doing the TransSiberian, etc). I don't plan to quit doing these, but sure glad I did them when I did. Every year, it gets harder!

At my old job, my VP was 47 years old and worth 50 Mil...USD. Big money. Never smoked, never drank, exercised almost every day...and dropped dead of a massive heart attack. That was another factor in my decision. He was a very close friend of mine...and I promised myself I would live life to it's fullest. 9-11 made me take advantage of that dream.

I still spend part of the year in the US. It is nice to be back home, see your friends, eat good Mexican food...HA! HA! I would also heed ericthai's advise. Don't jump into a relationship too soon. It is so dam_n easy to do here, but try and hold off...if you can!

Take advantage...you are so lucky...best of luck. If you are in Pattaya, PM me and we can have a beer some day.

Craig

Thanks Craig. I just needed to hear from others who done it. I've been going to Pattaya for years and I know how to keep my nose clean. I don't let BG and alcohol control my life. I'm passed that stage. Pattaya has everything I need plus it's close to the airport for work back home and the cost-of-living is much cheaper then other expensive cities in Thailand and at the same time it has everything anyone could want.

I could have had more money saved but the finacial crisis scam by the greedy Wall Street scums really screwed everything up. Good to hear you make what I make off from some investments but I basically got f-cked on my stocks and bonds. I thought about working few more years full time but I decided to let it go and live a simpler life in Thailand.

I'm financially stable and in good health which is very important. I see many farangs dying young in Pattaya or forced to go home due to lack of money and poor health. Thailand is not a welfare country. No money.......NO food, shelter, healthcare, etc, etc, but most of all, Thais want farangs to get the hel_l out of Thailand when money is gone....... just like the BG.

Edited by Gary74

Craig

Thanks Craig. I just needed to hear from others who done it. I've been going to Pattaya for years and I know how to keep my nose clean. I don't let BG and alcohol control my life. I'm passed that stage. Pattaya has everything I need plus it's close to the airport for work back home and the cost-of-living is much cheaper then other expensive cities in Thailand and at the same time it has everything anyone could want.

I could have had more money saved but the finacial crisis scam by the greedy Wall Street scums really screwed everything up. Good to hear you make what I make off from some investments but I basically got f-cked on my stocks and bonds. I thought about working few more years full time but I decided to let it go and live a simpler life in Thailand.

I'm financially stable and in good health which is very important. I see many farangs dying young in Pattaya or forced to go home due to lack of money and poor health. Thailand is not a welfare country. No money.......NO food, shelter, healthcare, etc, etc, but most of all, Thais want farangs to get the hel_l out of Thailand when money is gone....... just like the BG.

Gary74,

When you get to Thailand let us all know. I am trying to get back in March and would like to sit down and have a beer with you. I would like to meet up with you and the other Pattaya retiree (Eric).

-Anthony

50k a month ???? entertaining ladies and rent , drinks , ect ect i dont think so!!!!

so how many ladies do you entertain and how many drinks a day do you have.I live here on 50,000 baht a month,but bought a car,house,motorbike etc etc with other money.I retired at 50 and moved to Thailand (Pattaya) and never been so happy in my life.I never mongered every day and drank a couple of days a week,same lifestyle back in the UK.The big difference i dont have to work and the weather is great here.Why do people come on here and tell others you need 80-100,000 baht a month,thats just killin yourself slowly,live the dream but be sensible.

In a few years i will have another 50,000 plus baht a month so i am very worried i cannot spend that much,even packed up smoking 4 years ago and the main reason is my life is so good i dont want to die early.

50k a month ???? entertaining ladies and rent , drinks , ect ect i dont think so!!!!

so how many ladies do you entertain and how many drinks a day do you have.I live here on 50,000 baht a month,but bought a car,house,motorbike etc etc with other money.I retired at 50 and moved to Thailand (Pattaya) and never been so happy in my life.I never mongered every day and drank a couple of days a week,same lifestyle back in the UK.The big difference i dont have to work and the weather is great here.Why do people come on here and tell others you need 80-100,000 baht a month,thats just killin yourself slowly,live the dream but be sensible.

In a few years i will have another 50,000 plus baht a month so i am very worried i cannot spend that much,even packed up smoking 4 years ago and the main reason is my life is so good i dont want to die early.

If you are so worried about being able to spend the extra 50k baht a month you can send it my way :)

I suppose it all depends on what sort of lifestyle you were living before you came here but the OP is on 140k US a year so I doubt very much whether he would be comfortable on such a low retirement income.

One of my main reason for early retirement comes from normal retirees in their 60's who always complain how they envy younger men with energy, strength and stamina for varies activities. Best to do it younger if you have the means to do so and still have the time to run around the block or more. Money isn't everything and you can take it with you when you kick the bucket. Best to enjoy the finer things in life while you still have the enegy, strength, endurance, stamina and health :) You never know what could happen tomorrow.

We all envy the young as we get older. hel_l, I envy the younger me when I sort of semi retired at 33/34 and came to live in Thailand. In many ways, Pattaya is the end of the line, even Thailand is. You come here to die and maybe fit in some decent times before you go.

I lived in central London for so long and yet never went to the Tower of London or any of those things. Why ? because I could do them any day I chose. Or I thought I could. Then, when I wanted to do them, I couldn't because I didn't live there anymore. To do those things at that time would require tremendous effort and expense and I'd have to travel half a world away. The time was gone but I didn't know it at the time.

What I'm trying to say is don't just focus on Thailand and finishing things in your country as soon as possible to get to Thailand and put your feet up. Most retirees here are screwed over by not having enough money despite what they say. They live within their means not because that is what they like to do but rather they don't have the income to do what they want to do. Attitudes to cars are the greatest give away. Why on earth do you think 60 year old men have motorbikes ? well it is not because it is easier to get around (I drive a big truck) and they don't have to be anywhere anytime soon do they ?

Too many reached out for retirement when they should have worked more. More time retired and retiring younger is great if you can afford it but if you find out you can't but you are too old to return to work, then where does that leave you ? Well, either going back home or putting up with an ever decreasing standard of living. For too many the desire to live in Thailand overrides everything else, including their brains. Look at all the hired help in Pattaya, legal and illegal with not a pot to piss in between them. Once retirement comes, it is either the suicide cocktail or back home to abject poverty.

Avoiding poverty is one reason I suggest to buy your own place. You take out a huge potential future problem of rising rents. Even if it is rented out, it is yours and you can get it back and live in it. hel_l, with accommodation sorted, you could, if pressed, live for Bt10,000 a month and eat quite well. Bt200 a day buys a hel_l of a lot of food and leaves Bt130 for other things.

The sad fact is that the older you get the less chance you have to get back into things and that can have a drastic effect on long term plans.

We all envy the young as we get older. hel_l, I envy the younger me when I sort of semi retired at 33/34 and came to live in Thailand. In many ways, Pattaya is the end of the line, even Thailand is. You come here to die and maybe fit in some decent times before you go.

I lived in central London for so long and yet never went to the Tower of London or any of those things. Why ? because I could do them any day I chose. Or I thought I could. Then, when I wanted to do them, I couldn't because I didn't live there anymore. To do those things at that time would require tremendous effort and expense and I'd have to travel half a world away. The time was gone but I didn't know it at the time.

What I'm trying to say is don't just focus on Thailand and finishing things in your country as soon as possible to get to Thailand and put your feet up. Most retirees here are screwed over by not having enough money despite what they say. They live within their means not because that is what they like to do but rather they don't have the income to do what they want to do. Attitudes to cars are the greatest give away. Why on earth do you think 60 year old men have motorbikes ? well it is not because it is easier to get around (I drive a big truck) and they don't have to be anywhere anytime soon do they ?

Too many reached out for retirement when they should have worked more. More time retired and retiring younger is great if you can afford it but if you find out you can't but you are too old to return to work, then where does that leave you ? Well, either going back home or putting up with an ever decreasing standard of living. For too many the desire to live in Thailand overrides everything else, including their brains. Look at all the hired help in Pattaya, legal and illegal with not a pot to piss in between them. Once retirement comes, it is either the suicide cocktail or back home to abject poverty.

Avoiding poverty is one reason I suggest to buy your own place. You take out a huge potential future problem of rising rents. Even if it is rented out, it is yours and you can get it back and live in it. hel_l, with accommodation sorted, you could, if pressed, live for Bt10,000 a month and eat quite well. Bt200 a day buys a hel_l of a lot of food and leaves Bt130 for other things.

The sad fact is that the older you get the less chance you have to get back into things and that can have a drastic effect on long term plans.

Good post.

I would reiterate what i said before and state that it is probably better to wait til you can afford ti retire in your home country before you contemplate retiring in Thailand that way you have all the bases covered.

torrenova: great post. Perfect. I was at Tesco today and overheard a guy bitching at his Thai gal how they just spent 3,000 Baht. Jeez...it was food! If 3k Baht bothers you, retirement won't be fun.

Yeah, I just moved here. I crack up when I see farangs driving around on scooters behind some Thai gal. After seeing too many grease spots on the local roads, I will NEVER ride a scooter around here. FORGET IT. Lots of metal around you is the way to go in this crazy traffic.

And you are right on...once you are out of the game, forget getting back into it. Better have enough Baht to live out your life...

I did it when is was 52...

Traveled around the world several times...

settled in Thailand 4 years later and now after 5 years here I am the happiest I have ever been.

If you are lucky like me you will kick yourself for not making the move earlier.

My travels can be viewed at www.lifeofriley.org

Of course!

torrenova: great post. Perfect. I was at Tesco today and overheard a guy bitching at his Thai gal how they just spent 3,000 Baht. Jeez...it was food! If 3k Baht bothers you, retirement won't be fun.

Yeah, I just moved here. I crack up when I see farangs driving around on scooters behind some Thai gal. After seeing too many grease spots on the local roads, I will NEVER ride a scooter around here. FORGET IT. Lots of metal around you is the way to go in this crazy traffic.

And you are right on...once you are out of the game, forget getting back into it. Better have enough Baht to live out your life...

Dont worry after time you will be riding on a scooter too. I thought the same when I 1st came here and then learned that allot of times it just beats sitting in traffic for hours. Still have my car, but have the scooter for quick runs around town.

3K I think I would be bitching too, not that I cant afford it, but dam that's allot of food.

Craig

Gary74,

When you get to Thailand let us all know. I am trying to get back in March and would like to sit down and have a beer with you. I would like to meet up with you and the other Pattaya retiree (Eric).

-Anthony

Anthony, PM me and we can get in touch, I would be more than happy to meet up for a beer. I don't live in Pattaya, but I wonder down there from time to time.

Dont worry after time you will be riding on a scooter too. I thought the same when I 1st came here and then learned that allot of times it just beats sitting in traffic for hours. Still have my car, but have the scooter for quick runs around town.

3K I think I would be bitching too, not that I cant afford it, but dam that's allot of food.

That's what I am afraid of! I already find I am driving much more aggressively than when I was in the US. And I am borrowing my friends mantra of...if it is bigger, they get right of way...if it is a scooter, up to them to look out for me. Crazy. When I was single several years ago, and "living" at the bars, I was amazed at how many farang I would meet with broken arms, etc., or all scratched up...same with the bar girls. Pretty much every one can show you a scar they have somewhere from a scooter accident. And I have seen so many...I use to race motocross when I was younger. Quit when my best friend was killed.

3k is a bunch...but he did have a fair amount of booze in there!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

gary 74....I sold everything and moved here about a year ago.

After my first visit here, it only took me a few months go home, sell everything, and move here.

My first recommendation is to "live" here for a few months, live as you would if you really do move here, not as a tourist.

Don't stay in a hotel, or spend money like you're on vacation.

Secondly, can you always simply move back ? Well then, the answer is pretty easy.

Third, I don't know where you're moving from BUT after a little while, I am bored - except with the girlfriend options, the food, and the inexpensive cost of living.

jbeck

Gary....I Retired on my 50th birthday, that was 26 years ago. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Have had a fantastic 26 years (my wife retired with me) and really recommend it.

I'll give you just a litttel advise, it has worked for me. Save at least 10% of your earnings every year. Do not buy anything you can't pay cash for and minimize your taxes. It worked for us and we are very comfortable moneywise after bumming around the world and enjoying ourselves.

GO FOR IT, it's a fun world out there.

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Making over $100K but having to work every day, more or less. Not too much fun. I retired at 55 with a decent income still, but it seems sort of strange after a while, having nothing to do.

I spent about a year in Thailand, then returned to the USA for a few years. Now I'm about to return to Thailand again for six months, then off a few months, then back again. That's what makes it all worthwhile, the ability to travel.

What worries me about the OP is the real possibility of hyperinflation. $600K may seem like an OK amount now, but what happens if we see hyperinflation? Better to have the money in something that will increase with inflation. Farm ground, for example, or perhaps some stocks.

Bottom line: maybe keep working.

Gary....I Retired on my 50th birthday, that was 26 years ago. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Have had a fantastic 26 years (my wife retired with me) and really recommend it.

I'll give you just a litttel advise, it has worked for me. Save at least 10% of your earnings every year. Do not buy anything you can't pay cash for and minimize your taxes. It worked for us and we are very comfortable moneywise after bumming around the world and enjoying ourselves.

GO FOR IT, it's a fun world out there.

Wow, 26 years after turning 50. You definately deserve a prize for that. Most farangs don't last especially if they are into bargirls and drinking. I know my limitations and common sense and it never failed me. If anyone have the means to do I also recommend it.

Edited by Gary74

I cut out at 55, But with only 100,000 cash 1500 /mo. pension, and a home paid for and a new car in the garage in america. I cannot bring myself to sell either. I give the house to my dearest friend to stay in and take care of. All they do is pay the taxes.

I have been here for a few year now and i still have the cash and all i spend is 1500 a month most of the time. I did buy a truck here and a motorcycle. But I do not like pattaya and live up country. I spend about 3 weeks a month traveling and having fun here.

But in Pattaya I think I would have a problem living for 50,000 baht a month. I tried it twice and I could not make it work...

If that is any help.

Also i find i am getting lonely for work some time.... Just me though.

Nope, been here for years and if I live to be 200 I'll never have a bike. I can do a quick run around town in my truck or in the car. Having a bike is no quicker, no easier, far more dangerous and much less comfortable.