Gold Ore Said To Worth Bt900 Bn Detected In 76 Locations

george

Gold ore said to worth Bt900 bn detected in 76 locations

BANGKOK: -- Seven-hundreds tonnes of ore, which could be refined into pure gold worth Bt900 billion, have been detected in 76 locations - including the Korat basin's western rim and upper central Thailand, the Department of Mineral Resources chief revealed yesterday.

Adisak Thongkhaimuk also warned people panning for ore of the health risks in using cyanide and its impact on human heath and water sources.

He said the department had detected the 700 tonnes of ore in 31 provinces, together with several sources of secondary-deposited ore - such as in LampangTak that had 24 tonnes of the secondary-deposited minerals.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-12-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It would help if the article mentioned some detail about its form.

My guess it's powder diffused in sand. If it was veins in rock, or nuggets in a streambed, there would be full scale gold rush with corporations, VIPs and gov't agents grappling to be at the head of the queue.

I owned property in California, not far from Sutter's Creek, where the first gold nugget was found by a white man 1847 - which led to the Gold Rush, Levi's jeans, a big railroad built by Chinese, and a whole lot of other crazy things coming to the US west coast.

More than a few times, I had gold miner friends on my 10 acres tell me there was gold there - however, it was dust-like, and spread within the sand, so as to not be worth the trouble to separate it. Probably the same sort of scenario with this recent mention re; Thailand. If I'm wrong, that's fine, and I hope a lot of ordinary enterprising Thais make some money - and that it doesn't cause too many problems - which often happens when something valuable is up for grabs.

Typically sh*t piece of reporting/translating by a Nation reporter who hasn't a clue what they are writing about.

To get Bt900 billion at today's prices you need 700 tonnes of pure gold, not ore.

The existence of gold ore deposits in Thailand is hardly breaking news!!

Edited by speleo

My guess it's powder diffused in sand. If it was veins in rock, or nuggets in a streambed, there would be full scale gold rush with corporations, VIPs and gov't agents grappling to be at the head of the queue.

I owned property in California, not far from Sutter's Creek, where the first gold nugget was found by a white man 1847 - which led to the Gold Rush, Levi's jeans, a big railroad built by Chinese, and a whole lot of other crazy things coming to the US west coast.

More than a few times, I had gold miner friends on my 10 acres tell me there was gold there - however, it was dust-like, and spread within the sand, so as to not be worth the trouble to separate it. Probably the same sort of scenario with this recent mention re; Thailand. If I'm wrong, that's fine, and I hope a lot of ordinary enterprising Thais make some money - and that it doesn't cause too many problems - which often happens when something valuable is up for grabs.

If you could point out to me exactly where this "sand and gold dust" mix is I'll go you halves, ok??

There are quite a few ways to recover gold from "dust"! Ever try panning or even a trommel??

quoted "If you could point out to me exactly where this "sand and gold dust" mix is I'll go you halves, ok??

There are quite a few ways to recover gold from "dust"! Ever try panning or even a trommel??

It is all over again.

This reminds me of this classic movie 'The Treasure of The Sierra Madre" ( made in 1948), starring Humphrey Bogart and Walter Houston. It's one of my all time faverite.

Just hope the Thais know how to handle the gold fever.

The amount of capital investment required to set up a gold mine requires a significant amount of data and vey large, proven resources which have to also be likely to be economically recoverable. I suspect a lot of this 76 location stuff will be appropriate for artisanal recovery only.

The amount of capital investment required to set up a gold mine requires a significant amount of data and vey large, proven resources which have to also be likely to be economically recoverable. I suspect a lot of this 76 location stuff will be appropriate for artisanal recovery only.

The cost of mining itself is not so great it's the cost of extracting the gold from the ore and the processing which can can be done in one central location with the ore transported there so the costs are spread.

The article specifically says ore, not dust, and where there's gold there's usually other recoverable minerals.

Well, according to the other article provided by Latern, here is the general location of it. Get your shovels!

Seriously though, I hope that there will be some consideration towards the environment, but I doubt there will be. Just hope that you don't live down-river from here...

Out of curiosity, what are the legal aspects of mining. Coming from Oz, you get your prospectors license, head to the bush, stay off private property, Crown Land, parks etc... are all OK. How goes it here in Thailand? Anyone know what the deal is?

Oz

Knew a fellow in northern California who got the rights to re-open a tunnel that had been abandoned over 100 years earlier. He kept the name "16 to 1 Mine". He hired about 3 skilled workers with the agreement they work for %. They re-built the narrow gauge tracks in to the mine. Last I heard, the head man is a millionaire several times over, and the workers are living very comfortably.

Well, according to the other article provided by Latern, here is the general location of it. Get your shovels!

Seriously though, I hope that there will be some consideration towards the environment, but I doubt there will be. Just hope that you don't live down-river from here...

You don't need rivers to process ore into gold bars.

Out of curiosity, what are the legal aspects of mining. Coming from Oz, you get your prospectors license, head to the bush, stay off private property, Crown Land, parks etc... are all OK. How goes it here in Thailand? Anyone know what the deal is?

Oz

THAI MINING LEGISLATION

Minerals belong to the state. No one can explore for minerals or undertake mining unless a prospecting licence or mining lease is first obtained. Since minerals are non-renewable natural resources, the country as a whole should benefit from their exploration. The government has a policy of promoting private-sector development of the mineral industry.

NNT reports the value of the gold at One Trillion Baht and that it is primarily located in Pichit and Phetchabun provinces.

It also reports that 100 people have already been injured from exposure related the practice of using cyanide in the process of extracting the gold.

Gold has been mined in these areas for a long time. My girl's brother used to work as a shift foreman for an international mining company. As to whether or not there might be a trillion baht in reserves, who has done the research to take this anywhere beyond speculation? As someone else suggested, someone is probably purposely stirring up the shit to accomplish some goal. I'd be happy if this company came back and put my future B-I-L back to work. The money was good while the work lasted. Problem is that it takes a lot of tea money to get the permits and rights to mine.

Oz

THAI MINING LEGISLATION

Minerals belong to the state. No one can explore for minerals or undertake mining unless a prospecting licence or mining lease is first obtained. Since minerals are non-renewable natural resources, the country as a whole should benefit from their exploration. The government has a policy of promoting private-sector development of the mineral industry.

So where does that leave the average joe and his gold detector, alot of the legislation is of course geared to major operations. I would expect a deal of tea money going around, but who pays who for what?

Oz