Laos With The Car

poldebol

Me and the lady want to go to VTE for a few days. We have a Nissan Navara in her name.

Can somebody give information on the processing of the documents for the car at the border? We will go from Nongkai.

What papers are needded and how long will it more or less take. I will first take the visum for LAo in Khon Kaen.

Thanks a lot

First off, if you're going to stay only in Vientiane and sight-see in town, I'd just leave my car at the secure parking area (caged) on the Thai side near the bridge. I have done this often, 8 days last June, will be about 10 days next month.

If you want to travel up to Vang Vieng, about three hours, your hotel-guest house can arrange pickup by one of the passenger vans heading up there.

If you really want to take your car, go to your provincial Land Transport Department office, where they do drivers licenses and car registrations, and get a "Vehicle Passport." That is absolutely necessary. Then at the Nong Khai side of the bridge, there at Immigration/Customs area, there's more paperwork to be filled in. Also on the Lao side, then need to buy a few days of Lao insurance, cheap.

Mac

First off, if you're going to stay only in Vientiane and sight-see in town, I'd just leave my car at the secure parking area (caged) on the Thai side near the bridge. I have done this often, 8 days last June, will be about 10 days next month.

If you want to travel up to Vang Vieng, about three hours, your hotel-guest house can arrange pickup by one of the passenger vans heading up there.

If you really want to take your car, go to your provincial Land Transport Department office, where they do drivers licenses and car registrations, and get a "Vehicle Passport." That is absolutely necessary. Then at the Nong Khai side of the bridge, there at Immigration/Customs area, there's more paperwork to be filled in. Also on the Lao side, then need to buy a few days of Lao insurance, cheap.

Mac

And please note this is only the basic 3rd Party cover - similar to our CTPL