Newcomer, Retired Couple Seeking Advice And Looking To Meet People

Carin43

Hello,

My name is Carin and my husbands name is Karl and we are new members of the forum. We are a retired German couple, but we live on the Canary Islands.

We have been traveling in Thailand before, from Trat Province to Chiang Mai region. On our travels we fell in love with this beautiful country and its friendly people.

We are thinking of moving completely to Thailand, but before we make this decision, we would like to learn a little bit more about the country and get the feeling of living there.

Our plans are to come to Chiang Mai by the beginning of February and stay there for a couple of months – at least 6 -

We would like to rent a house, preferably in a Moo Baan with pool, rent a car, to be able to see more of the countryside.

We would be very thankful for any advice that could be of help for us in where to look for housing, car rentals, good living areas, where to shop etc. Our son has already spent a great deal of time in TH, so we guess the basic questions are answered, but we are seeking specific information about the CM region and how to get settled there.

Also, we would appreciate any info about foreigner groups we can join into, meet and participate in. We both have been living in the US, so we are fluent in English as well as German.

I have been reading about that yearly smoke problem in the Chiang Mai area in spring due to burning down fields and woods. Is this true and how bad is it?

Thank you and best regards

Carin

If you come in February you'll get to see it first hand. :) And you'll also see how it clears up in April first, and then completely vanishes when the dry season ends.

Anyway, I would come to stay at a hotel or guesthouse first, possibly on a weekly/monthly rent, and during that time look for a part of town you want to be in longer term, and look for houses to rent. This is much easier (and cheaper) done 'on the ground' as opposed to over the internet.

Renting a car you can negotiate something longer term for example at Northwheels (www.northwheels.com), but it's not cheap.

@WinnietheKwai,

Thanks for your reply, at least during this time we get to see the smoke dissappear....

Of course, we were not planning to rent "from the net" and are prepared to do our "ground work". We've also taken a look at the site of North Wheels and Pop Car Rental; it seems the prices in CM are higher than BKK or is that misleading?

Maybe somebody has an idea what a decent, let's say, 3 Br house either in a Moo Baan with pool or closer to Amphur Muang, in walking distance to hotel or public pool would cost? Preferably with a bit of garden around.

Thanks in advance!

@WinnietheKwai,

Of course, we were not planning to rent "from the net" and are prepared to do our "ground work". We've also taken a look at the site of North Wheels and Pop Car Rental; it seems the prices in CM are higher than BKK or is that misleading?

Thanks in advance!

CM is considered a popular location (mountain) with many foreigner(s) and a bit cooler compared to Bangkok.

Yes, the pricing will be higher compared to metro Bangkok where you have many business competition versus local CM.

I am also retired living in Ubon Ratchathani province. My neighbor is a German retiree married to a Thai national

and they are a wonderful couple.

I hope you find something good that will fulfill your needs.

Houses about 10km from the centre of CM cost between 7000bht and 15000bht a month.

Just as an example

On the estate I live there is a 5 bed house advertised for 12,000bht a month.

The Royal Lanna Hotel has a nice pool and a room with fridge and cable TV will set you back about 7000bht a month (plus the usual extras)

Thank you very much to all of you that gave advice to my questions about taking up residence in Chiang Mai, especially to anonymouse for that very helpful link.

We will first take residence in a guesthouse and then take it from there.

Thanks again and best wishes to all of you.

Regards

Carin

Hi Carin,

What kinds of things are you and your husband interested in? We could let you know of some things that may be of interest to either of you with a bit more detail (if you would like to give it).

Welcome to the forum.

Oh..you may also find the Ladies forum helpful/interesting too: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Ladies-Thailand-f15.html :)