Thai Airways Sues Pad For B575 Million

george

SEIZURE OF AIRPORTS

THAI files lawsuits and seeks Bt575m from PAD leaders

By The Nation

Thai Airways International filed civil lawsuits against yellow shirted leaders who led anti-Thaksin protesters in the seizures of Bangkok's two airports last year.

The national carrier, Thai Airways International, filed a lawsuit with the Civil Court on November 24.

The THAI is seeking Bt575 million in compensation from 36 protest leaders who seized Bangkoks airports last year.

The leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy facing the lawsuits included Chamlong Srimuang and media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul.

The Civil Court will hold its first hearing in the case on Feb 22.

The protesters seized the Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang International Airports last year, stranding hundreds of passengers as many flights were cancelled.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/9

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Civil Court Accepts Thai Airway's 575 Mln Baht Suit against People's Alliance

UPDATE : 9 December 2009

The Civil Court accepts the 500 million baht lawsuit filed against the People's Alliance for Democracy by Thai Airways for damages caused to the company after the group's protest forced the closure of Suvarnabhumi Airport late last year.

Thai Airways International filed a 575 million baht lawsuit against Major General Chamlong Srimuang and 35 other defendants at the Civil Court for damages caused by the People's Alliance for Democracy or PAD when they gathered at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang Airports from November 25 to December 4 last year.

Thai Airways claimed the PAD's protest against the Somchai Wongsawat administration inevitably forced the international airport to shut down temporarily.

The plaintiff claimed damages to the company's loss of earnings, including 402 million baht spent on transferring passengers to other airlines, 59 million baht to cover the accommodation and food for stranded passengers and 17 million baht for employees' allowance.

The first hearing for this case is scheduled for August 3 next year at 9 a.m. at the Civil Court.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009/12/9

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Good. Hope Thai Airways wins.

Whether or not you agree with the PAD cause, effectively closing an international airport wasn't the right way to go about it and the leaders should face the consequences.

Hear Hear!

Quite agree. I hope they win as well!

FF

Good. Hope Thai Airways wins.

Whether or not you agree with the PAD cause, effectively closing an international airport wasn't the right way to go about it and the leaders should face the consequences.

I agree. Everyone involved, from the top dog, to the old ladies and their clappers should be punished.

If people in this country were held accountable more often, there wouldn't be such a blatant disregard for people and their lives.

Cudos to Thai Airways, I might even start flying with them again after this. People need to learn, you can't just hijack an international airport without repercussions, even in Thailand.

With a bit of luck Thai will be successful in this case.

I hope Thai Airways wins too.

However, Thai Airways was not the only affected airline. As well Suvarnabhumi Airport could not close itself unless it was the decision of the Director in charge. What is pretty interesting is that the Cargo Department is 2 kms away from the Passenger Terminals but it was ordered closed too.

I think it should be either the Airport Authority or Suvarnabhumi Airport that should have sued PAD for the damages done. There have been very few words from Suvarnabhumi Airport Director about it since then.

Edited by Rideau

Cudos to Thai Airways, I might even start flying with them again after this. People need to learn, you can't just hijack an international airport without repercussions, even in Thailand.

This won't see the light of day - who you going to sue Sondhi? Don't think he has that much money mate.

This won't see the light of day - who you going to sue Sondhi? Don't think he has that much money mate.

Well I have absolutely no idea how much money Sondhi has got personally but a decision against these people may certainly act as a deterrant against other acts of this nature.

I tend to feel that you are right though, it will be interesting to see how long this candle burns for.

Civile disobedience - PAD didn't "close the airport or shutdown it's operations"!

It was the AOT Management of Suvannabhum!

I was wondering how long before this would start..........

If enough companies/groups etc got together, they could start a class action!

The Airport was closed by AOT as a direct result of PAD demonstrations! Had the PAD not been there, the airport would NOT have had to close.

FF

I think Thai shoud win, but I am not happy about this. Thousands of companies and people loose much more than this airline. Thai Air can handle the loss of 500 million, but so many people lost their business completely! Also some foreigners that cannot get home to work. I would be very sad if Thai Air gets the money and other people have to live with the loss...

Really not the point. Rarely if ever do the persons being sued actually have (officially) the amount awarded in damages. This has bigger picture written all over it, and good on them.

Civile disobedience - PAD didn't "close the airport or shutdown it's operations"!

The Airport was closed by AOT as a direct result of PAD demonstrations! Had the PAD not been there, the airport would NOT have had to close.

FF

I can't agree with you more. But why has there not been any move by AOT about this?

FF

It flows fairly fast here @ thai visa, father :):D

I am not sure how much bite this will have but I agree that people should be held responsible for their actions. This being the case shouldn't this also extend to the Red Shirts and anyone else that causes civil dissobedience that leads to lost revenues? If fair is fair then Takki should be on the hook for inciting civil dissobedience as well.....burn em all !!!!

I am not sure how much bite this will have but I agree that people should be held responsible for their actions. This being the case shouldn't this also extend to the Red Shirts and anyone else that causes civil dissobedience that leads to lost revenues? If fair is fair then Takki should be on the hook for inciting civil dissobedience as well.....burn em all !!!!

TOO RIGHT. Somewunelse should have a crack at them too. Teach them for farting in church. :)

PAD should be sued. And AOT should be joined on the action for failure to protect the interest of its tenants.

Similarly, the Red Shirt movement should be sued for willful and malicious damage to BMTA for buses, pavement, and a few of the terrorists who put petrol against gas cylinders.

The legal system moves slowly and it is doubtful anyone will pay but as long as it 'appears' to be happening - there may be some restraint by the crap that is about to happen if the protests start again tomorrow.

Time will tell. :)

FF

I can't agree with you more. But why has there not been any move by AOT about this?

Gutless management.

I rather think that this action reflects the fact that a new man is in control at Thai - and one that seems willing to make the hard choices and (if he lives long enough) to take on the vested interests (corruption in equipment purchases, backhanders on catering etc, nepotism in recruitment aka hiring daughters of senior airforce officers etc). I hope he succeeds as what was once a rather good airline is now a shadow of its former self.

Ref the legal action, the point is accountability rather than money. At best Thai will have the satisfaction of bankrupting those primarily resposible (although I am unsure what the consequences sre in Thailand). More importantly, people would have to factor in such consequences before they make massive disruption - and that includes those running the lads in red!

Hooray!

I would like to see all the tourists and others who were stranded, and all the business who suffered economic loss, get a class action started.

Does anyone know what happened to the criminal charges against the PAD leaders?

Edited by Sabre