Cheapest Areas Of Thailand

kevbomac05

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you speak Thai?

There are a lot of cheap places outside the tourist tracks, if you know the lingo.

If not, then you are stuck to the "lonely planet" tourists.

They all go to the same places and are surprised to find the same people as the last place.

Can you speak Thai?

There are a lot of cheap places outside the tourist tracks, if you know the lingo.

If not, then you are stuck to the "lonely planet" tourists.

They all go to the same places and are surprised to find the same people as the last place.

so your saying if i pick up some thai

then i can get cheaper places

thats what i wanna know because where do the traveling thais stay at

i know im gonna find cheap places to stay

most thais make very little money

If you cant afford even basic standards of living why come? stay at home, get a job and buy some new clothes....

Why is it, that's so many asshols who comes with such stupid remarks, when someone ask something?

So, you are rich and better then the ones that's not?.....don't comment if you just want to be a jerk!!!!!!!!!!!

Go South Ma Boy. Live in the Jungle for free , all the free food you can eat , Insects snakes monkey meat , free rain water for drinking , showering washing, Die Young. And a free funeral , :) , Try Rural Thailand, like one poster has said you need to speak a little Thai.Without speaking Thai its not realistic because you will need to communicate for every day things , and what happens when you have a problem . Go learn Thai .

As for Traveling Thais , have you seen how they live , Many Falang could not live or sleep like Thais , Have you slept on the floor with nasty Insects crawling around at night, Or Washing in rain water, checking that there are no leaches in the water or around the old 45 gallon drum thats the water butt.Its not all fantasy island stuff .

Then there are the Thais with money , they probly live better than you and me . Traveling in air con cars , Staying in top Hotels ,

Edited by Thongkorn

You don't need to speak any Thai at all to get the best rates for accommodation. They don't suddenly drop their rates once they know you can say '150' in Thai. What you need to do is research while on the ground. I've seen posts on this board saying the cheapest digs in BKK is 400baht, whereas I've never paid 400 baht. I usually pay 300 and have seen rooms for as little as 120. I'm sure there are cheaper rates than that too. All it takes is a bit of research, not difficult at all.

What else do you need to speak Thai for? Maybe some tuk tuk drivers will try not to completely rip you off if you can speak a bit, same with markets and other areas where you need to bargain.

To answer your question though i'd probably have to say that Chiang Mai has the cheapest range of accommodation. Though you'll struggle to find a beach hut.

Garry9999 said, "I was Ban Phe - Rayong last week, there was a group of Thais camping on the beach in tents. Not sure if a Farang would get away with this, but it's worth a try."

That was very short term for the current festivities. That whole beach park area is usually empty of *all* during regular times.

Rather doubt if anyone, Thai included, would be permitted to spend several days camped out there.

You don't need to speak any Thai at all .

What else do you need to speak Thai for? Maybe some tuk tuk drivers will try not to completely rip you off if you can speak a bit, same with markets and other areas where you need to bargain.

To answer your question though i'd probably have to say that Chiang Mai has the cheapest range of accommodation. Though you'll struggle to find a beach hut.

If you want to live cheap , you go where it is cheap , and where it is cheap they probly do not speak English.

If you want to live cheap , you go where it is cheap , and where it is cheap they probly do not speak English.

I guess it depends on how cheap it has to be before you consider it cheap. I consider 150 baht per night cheap and have never had any problems with the language barrier. I once had a place that was 2000 per month, pretty cheap in my opinion, and again no language issues. You'd have to go seriously low before you hit any problems not being able to speak Thai. Generally tourists will set their cheap limits where the lonely planet tells them too, so about 300 baht per night.

There are many places along the cost line starting around Cha-Am/Hua-Hin area going further south. Problem is that it will be very boring, will only be local restaurant huts and it will not really be so idyllic and clean as you want it to be.

I suggest you to go outside of Thailand, try the Philippines there are alot of islands with beautiful idyllic beaches, no or few tourists, plenty of huts. (it's not a joke, there really are thousands of beautiful unspoiled islands in the Phils) and you will be paying the same price of accomodation as in Chiang Mai but for a hut on the beach like you said.

ps: there really are enough 300/400 baht huts near or on the beach in Thailand, just don't expect any luxury.

Edited by tommybkk

If you cant afford even basic standards of living why come? stay at home, get a job and buy some new clothes....

Why is it, that's so many asshols who comes with such stupid remarks, when someone ask something?

So, you are rich and better then the ones that's not?.....don't comment if you just want to be a jerk!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a good question actually, I have often wondered myself why do people come to a 3rd world country to live in 3rd world poverty from a 1st world country instead of just living in poverty there. I ask because it just seems to me being poor in a 1st word country would be better. I'm not looking down on anyone or being critical I just find it strange. People with small but reasonable income I understand perfectly. Please don't flame me I am actually curious about this.

Because not many 1st world countries offer those in poverty the chance to spend their days relaxing by a beautiful beach.

When travelling to Thailand do you charter your own private jet? If not, why not?

Travelling on a budget is surely not so difficult a concept to understand, is it?

As you can see you are clearly at the wrong place here. Try Lonely Planet or similar.

I would say that cheap places can be found everywhere, even on Samui or Koh Phangan. At Menam Beach for instance are still the old backpacker bungalows.

MrRichards: To be young and travel independently through places never been before is a feeling you don't want to miss in your life. A 24/7 exciting experience. Money and comfort are not important. Traveller can find easily places to stay and to sleep.

As you can see you are clearly at the wrong place here. Try Lonely Planet or similar.

I would say that cheap places can be found everywhere, even on Samui or Koh Phangan. At Menam Beach for instance are still the old backpacker bungalows.

MrRichards: To be young and travel independently through places never been before is a feeling you don't want to miss in your life. A 24/7 exciting experience. Money and comfort are not important. Traveller can find easily places to stay and to sleep.

Agreed. There are some real curmudgeons on this site. They just don't get it.

I travelled for years on a shoestring when I was young. I had the greatest experiences I can imagine.

When I talk with people about some of the people I met, things I did, places I went and things that happened to me, I am constantly told "you should write a book". I learned so much, not just about the world around me and the people who inhabit it, but also about myself.

This is stuff you can never learn in a 5 star hotel with air-con limos. When you travel with money, you carry your world around with you. You are in a bubble, and you never get to see the reality of the places you visit.

Travelling on a tight budget is something I would strongly recommend to any young person who has the desire to learn about the world he/she lives in.

This is stuff you can never learn in a 5 star hotel with air-con limos. When you travel with money, you carry your world around with you. You are in a bubble, and you never get to see the reality of the places you visit.

A hotelroom is just a hotelroom. Once u leave that room, ur left in the same world as when u entered. I lived in bungalows for 300 Baht and in luxurious suites. I can't say im in a bubble, but i do enjoy comfort. I can still see the reality around me. In Thailand its all in your face. Wealth and poverty side by side.

Cheap accomodation you can find everywhere in Thailand. Follow the backbackers I would say. You still find cheap places on Koh Chang and Koh Phangan. Good luck, happy hunting :)

Just prior to the Tsunami in 2004 I was staying in a beach shack just south of Kao Lak. I paid 200 baht a night for a one room shack with a fan and toilet. Unfortunately, the two families I was staying with disappeared in the tsunami. They were gone when I returned in March and I can only assume that they perished. I just returned from a stay with hill tribe people where I paid 150 baht a night, but I shared an open room with others and slept on an air mattress. My meals were inexpensive, but extra.

I currently stay in a nice Thai hotel in Chiang Mai for about 6000 baht a month... including electricity and fridge. That works out to about 200 baht a night, but you have to stay over 3 months to get the long term rent. Otherwise it's 350/night. I think that is pretty cheap for good accommodation. For me it's cheaper than staying home in Canada and paying my furnace bill each month.

Edited by IanForbes

I travelled for years on a shoestring when I was young. I had the greatest experiences I can imagine.

When I talk with people about some of the people I met, things I did, places I went and things that happened to me, I am constantly told "you should write a book". I learned so much, not just about the world around me and the people who inhabit it, but also about myself.

Travelling on a tight budget is something I would strongly recommend to any young person who has the desire to learn about the world he/she lives in.

this is what i want to hear thankyou

im just talking about a place to crash at night

it dont need to be fancy

im coming in late march and staying for a month

but 300 for a beach hut sounds nice

or 150 baht for a small place

i guess when i get to thailand ill need to do some looking around

and to all the old geezers getting there pantys in a bunch because a young backpacker is coming looking for cheap accmondation

relax

thanks for the reply's

I guess it depends on how cheap it has to be before you consider it cheap. I consider 150 baht per night cheap and have never had any problems with the language barrier. I once had a place that was 2000 per month, pretty cheap in my opinion, and again no language issues. You'd have to go seriously low before you hit any problems not being able to speak Thai. Generally tourists will set their cheap limits where the lonely planet tells them too, so about 300 baht per night.

i consider 150 baht good price

i dont read that crap lonley planet

its got some good info i assume, but overpriced listings

Oh to be 17 years old, free and single.

Enjoy yourself my friend. Two huge bits of advice from an old fart which I hope you do not find patronizing, it's certainly not intended to be.

1) Avoid like the plague anyone involved with drugs. If you're frequenting backpacking areas you will probably come into contact with some.

2) It's so so easy to lose your heart with a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile. In Thailand it's rather difficult to know what's behind the smile. So be careful.

Other than that enjoy your experience and ignore the doubters.

There are many places along the cost line starting around Cha-Am/Hua-Hin area going further south. Problem is that it will be very boring, will only be local restaurant huts and it will not really be so idyllic and clean as you want it to be.

I suggest you to go outside of Thailand, try the Philippines there are alot of islands with beautiful idyllic beaches, no or few tourists, plenty of huts. (it's not a joke, there really are thousands of beautiful unspoiled islands in the Phils) and you will be paying the same price of accomodation as in Chiang Mai but for a hut on the beach like you said.

ps: there really are enough 300/400 baht huts near or on the beach in Thailand, just don't expect any luxury.

And the girls don't give you attitude,and are just naturally sexier!

I live in rural Thailand and do not speak Thai, I am hearing disabled and Thai is a tonal language same word different meaning, depending on what tone is used. I can not differentiate between the tones.

I have no problem in getting a long in rural Thailand?

Wish you luck in your visit, great country, even greater people.

Cheer: