Fire At Chalong Gym?

FaxFlora

Yes I was in there yesterday. No way did an AC explode, but it did melt because of the head.. Look like the fire started a the front desk. It was wood and look like it burned first. Initially i thought it might be an electrical fire, but most of the electrical was at the walls, so i double it. The gym may have had a candle or one of those insense burners with oil above that they left running and then it started a fire, but that is just a straight out guess. The place is a mess, but its not a total loss. The Equipment, while dirty, should still be cleanable and ok. But it will require a major cleanup work. If they started it today, then it would take at least a month to get it open again.

Edited by RAPhuket

Yes I was in there yesterday. No way did an AC explode, but it did melt because of the head.. Look like the fire started a the front desk. It was wood and look like it burned first. Initially i thought it might be an electrical fire, but most of the electrical was at the walls, so i double it. The gym may have had a candle or one of those insense burners with oil above that they left running and then it started a fire, but that is just a straight out guess. The place is a mess, but its not a total loss. The Equipment, while dirty, should still be cleanable and ok. But it will require a major cleanup work. If they started it today, then it would take at least a month to get it open again.

the place always smelled like a German armpit, maybe I'll go back now that it smells like smoke......

the place always smelled like a German armpit, maybe I'll go back now that it smells like smoke......

Have you been back since Corey took off? All new machines, carpet, paint etc. Looks and smells nice now. (Pre-fire anyway) Unfortunalty it has the same staff so the early closings/late openings/friends of staff using equipment when you want to will probably continue. I hear they honored, at least partially, the long term memberships which were paid in advance just before Corey took off.

Have you been back since Corey took off? All new machines, carpet, paint etc. Looks and smells nice now. (Pre-fire anyway) Unfortunalty it has the same staff so the early closings/late openings/friends of staff using equipment when you want to will probably continue. I hear they honored, at least partially, the long term memberships which were paid in advance just before Corey took off.

I never see the staff using the equipment? its almost all gays/katoys and all they do is check their makeup in the mirrors or whatever.

Except for the horrible music the gym is/was actually pretty good for the reasons you stated. They don't even mind I make a mess of gym chalk every time I go.

I never see the staff using the equipment? its almost all gays/katoys and all they do is check their makeup in the mirrors or whatever.

Except for the horrible music the gym is/was actually pretty good for the reasons you stated. They don't even mind I make a mess of gym chalk every time I go.

I never see gays (how do you know? You ask?)/katoeys, but maybe it has changed and since the new owner is Thai she is giving Thai's a big discount. I usually used it late and there weren't many people, but that was before the ownership change.

Hallo Karen Bravo,

maybe you rather should read my reply. So I ask again, does a German armpit smell differently from any other nations armpit?

off topic, my suggestion is to start a new thread "nationalities with the stinkiest armpits" or "nationalities that prefer not to use deodorants".

I passed by yesterday, they have started cleaning the place.

I have looked at the website for Naiharn gym...impressive facility. How does the Chalong Gym compare to Naiharn in terms of equipment: cardio machines? weight machines? locker/shower areas?

Which gym has more local ex-pat members?

I have looked at the website for Naiharn gym...impressive facility. How does the Chalong Gym compare to Naiharn in terms of equipment: cardio machines? weight machines? locker/shower areas?

Nai Harn gym is a pretty decent gym. It has a bit more stuff (both cardio and weight machines) than Chalong gym but lacks a bit in the free weights department.

Dumbells only up to 36kg where Chalong has 100lbs ones. The barbells dont weigh the standard 20kg's but are like 15kgs or something, but I guess that's not really a big deal since they seem to be the correct length and width.

Also there aren't that many plates and they are not really suited for stuff like deadlifts or olympic lifts. To be fair Nai harn gym does have both an incline and decline bench station which are nice to have.

The water is 2x as expensive (20 baht for a small water) in Nai Harn and they dont have a blender to make proper shakes.

As to which one has more expats I dont kknow since I've only been there 3 times now and it was about the same ammount of people that I'm use to in Chalong.

I passed by yesterday, they have started cleaning the place.

I switched from Chalong to Naiharn a few months ago. I like NaiHarn way better because the machines are all new, the numerous aircons actually work, they have two 40" flat screen TV's which members can control, treadmills that work, elipticiser machines that work, and his and hers showers and locker rooms (although they need a bench in both, the toilet is outside and shared with all businesses at the DiVinci complex) and the one full time staff member, P. Kuhn, is just great. As a tennis instructor has a fair bit of fitness knowledge. At the time I switched, Chalong Gym had none of these things. As far as I am aware, there isn't a single piece of broken equipment at Naiharn. At Chalong, easily half of the cable weights and most of the cardio machines were completely inoperable or not fully functioning when I left. And the aircons were dead or kept off to save money. However, when I went back to check out it out after the makeover, just before the fire, it was a lot nicer than before with apparently new machines, carpet, paint, and aircons.

Chalong Gym is bigger, covering 2 floors, with a punching/kicking bag upstairs. It can get busy it peak times. Sometimes the staff would use the last remaining operable treadmill of 4, (which had a slipping belt). That was really annoying. And they would often close early if there weren't enough members present. I actually got kicked out several times long before posted operating hours.

NaiHarn can get crowded quickly too since it is smaller, but the vibe is pleasent. Mostly farang at Naiharn. Mix of Thai and farang at Chalong. Even the few muscle heads at NaiHarn are really friendly and helpfull if you want it. In Chalong you could buy bananas and rent towels. These are free at Naiharn, including big shower towels, but as mentioned water is 20 baht, and Gatorade 30 baht. Naiharn is American owned and operated. Chalong was, but now is Thai owned. And probably the most important selling point for me about Naiharn? Bill has paid for everything so less chance of it suddenly closing with your months or years membership fee paid like the one near Central did several months ago when all thier equipment got repossesed as people were in the middle of thier workouts. And a lot of people had just paid membership dues at Chalong Gym just before it closed and changed owners. Although as I mentioned, I heard they were honoring at least some of the contracts signed just before the closure.

Published membership fees are a little more for Naiharn, at 1700 baht a month. You can probably negotiate less if paying for more months in advance. Chalong was 1200 if I recall, but they had punch cards you could use that ended up costing like 60 baht per visit or something. Naiharn doesn't have that, which actually is good as it motivates me to go as often as I can to reduce the per visit cost. naiharn is open till 10pm, Chalong now till 9pm.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Thanks ScubaBuddha! Good detailed report.
...And probably the most important selling point for me about Naiharn? Bill has paid for everything...

I'm guessing Bill is the owner?

I think that's his name. Only spoke to him a couple times. He's usually there in the daytime and I work out at night.

Gym is back open today.. Looks better than before. The owner, Gip, has done a great job. The place is busy and everything is clean and new. I am a happy camper.

Yep it looks good. I think one of the threadmills is broken, but other than that everything good. they obv also honour the already paid memberfees.

• 6 months later...

Chalong Gym is still operating and in good condition? or are the thai owner cheap on fixing stuff? What is the address, close to chalong circle?

What is this card 1 member talked about, you have to pay 1200 baht + 60 baht every time?

Chalong Gym is still operating and in good condition? or are the thai owner cheap on fixing stuff? What is the address, close to chalong circle?

What is this card 1 member talked about, you have to pay 1200 baht + 60 baht every time?

You'll have noticed that the last post before yours was over 6 months ago. Chalong Gym is on the Chaofa East road, about 100 metres or so north of the main entrance (but on the opposite side) to Land and House Estate. You'd be better calling in and checking it out for yourself.

You'll have noticed that the last post before yours was over 6 months ago. Chalong Gym is on the Chaofa East road, about 100 metres or so north of the main entrance (but on the opposite side) to Land and House Estate. You'd be better calling in and checking it out for yourself.

So what if the last post was 6 months ago?

Thanks for the address. Google is shit. hehe

They can be kinda cheap about turning on the airconditioning/lights and the music is terrible but the gym equipment and stuff is very good.