True Connection Problems

mixed

I have two True connections, one at the office and one at home.

The one at the office has been playing up for months now, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, often slow and unreliable. I've phoned True, they say the connections fine. Tried swapping phone lines, switching modems, doesn't seem to help, but it's difficult to tell because the service is so inconsistent anyway.

Torrents don't work at all.

The connection at home was done a few months ago and worked great with torrents flying along. Until last week, now I have the same problem as the office.

What could be the cause? The office is about 1k per month and home about 500B. Is it to do with sharing the line with too many others?

Any help much appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by mixed

"Connect and torrents flying fine..." means there was no router, or router in bridge mode.

If router is present and set to routing mode, you need to port forward.

But a big security issue is raised - running torrents over a business network. This is a hacker's haven.

Edited by trogers

Try setting your modem/router to DMZ mode. That'll at least tell you if it's a problem with the way your router is configured. Don't leave it that way though.

If you don't know how to configure your router, start your web browser and put in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0 and use the default user name and password for your router, probably admin and admin.

Also make sure your t0rrent client has an exception in the Windows firewall.

Some True services block all torrents - like the in-condo True T-LAN service here in the condo where I live in Jomtien. At first I thought it was something to do with the router or port forwarding, but nothing I tried worked. Eventually I had a couple of True technicians here for something else, and when I asked them about the torrents not working they told me that True blocks them. OTOH, I know a guy who has the new 8 Mbps True service in town, and he has no problem accessing torrents, so it's just something to do with the service here, which at 2000 B/m for a 2 Mbps maximum DL speed is a rip-off anyway. I'm thinking of changing to Accom - has anybody tried them?

Some True services block all torrents - like the in-condo True T-LAN service here in the condo where I live in Jomtien. At first I thought it was something to do with the router or port forwarding, but nothing I tried worked. Eventually I had a couple of True technicians here for something else, and when I asked them about the torrents not working they told me that True blocks them. OTOH, I know a guy who has the new 8 Mbps True service in town, and he has no problem accessing torrents, so it's just something to do with the service here, which at 2000 B/m for a 2 Mbps maximum DL speed is a rip-off anyway. I'm thinking of changing to Accom - has anybody tried them?

Bastards. You can disguise your torrent traffic as encrypted http traffic using a VPN tunnel, they can't block that.