How To Lodge A Report After An Accident?

miminem

During Songkran, my brother in law had an accident with his motorbike. He died and there is a witness saying a car pushed him. The bike is badly damaged backside but almost nothing on front side. I said to my wife that she needs to lodge a report in order that police starts some investigations. They refused and objected , telling that they do not have much chance to find the car, if there is any car involved. They just said that he got into a tree by himself. Anybody knows how to force them to accept to start some investigation? The point is that it happened 5 days agho and my wife just told me that (about police) now.

During Songkran, my brother in law had an accident with his motorbike. He died and there is a witness saying a car pushed him. The bike is badly damaged backside but almost nothing on front side. I said to my wife that she needs to lodge a report in order that police starts some investigations. They refused and objected , telling that they do not have much chance to find the car, if there is any car involved. They just said that he got into a tree by himself. Anybody knows how to force them to accept to start some investigation? The point is that it happened 5 days agho and my wife just told me that (about police) now.

My first sense is that they know exactly what happened, and why, and refuse to pursue because of that. Might not be a good place to stick your nose in if his family doesn't want to.... It might put you and them in a vulnerable position...

Just a thought...

Unfortunately my best advise is to let it go unless it is fully her idea to push. It seems your wife had valid reasons for withholding the information from you. She told them and they told her what to do. Trying to push things is not going to bring him back to life and could have serious repercussions for your wife, family and even you. If she wanted to push it she would. Don't force her.

Unfortunately my best advise is to let it go unless it is fully her idea to push. It seems your wife had valid reasons for withholding the information from you. She told them and they told her what to do. Trying to push things is not going to bring him back to life and could have serious repercussions for your wife, family and even you. If she wanted to push it she would. Don't force her.

Sorry, I was not clear enough. She won't let it go. She went to the police twice and they refused twice. I believe they are lazzy or expect some money to work, it looks like it is quite usual in her village in Isaan. I was away for a few days and this is why she just told me today. She was waiting for me to be back to ask me what to do.

If she wants to push then she must move up the heirarchy to a more

senior officer.

Is the witness willing to go with her?

Unfortunately it is sad fact of life here that there is little chance of finding the car,

and the police will exert the minimum effort!

Apologies for my misread. I thought it was the family that refused, not the police.

But, if the local cops don't have any witnesses with information they can follow-up on, that could be their reason to refuse an investigation.

If there actually is some piece of evidence that might lead to the killer, and the police still resist, then maybe an offer to cover investigation expenses might be in order. Not a bribe, either. Sadly, most depts don't have much of an investigation budget, so even the cost of fuel is an issue sometimes.

The insurance agent for the bike should be pushing, too. Afterall, it's in their best interest to find the killer and make them pay, rather than the insurance company..

Apologies for my misread. I thought it was the family that refused, not the police.

But, if the local cops don't have any witnesses with information they can follow-up on, that could be their reason to refuse an investigation.

If there actually is some piece of evidence that might lead to the killer, and the police still resist, then maybe an offer to cover investigation expenses might be in order. Not a bribe, either. Sadly, most depts don't have much of an investigation budget, so even the cost of fuel is an issue sometimes.

The insurance agent for the bike should be pushing, too. Afterall, it's in their best interest to find the killer and make them pay, rather than the insurance company..

Yes, the insurance may be a good idea. And they must know the procedure if they want to save some money.

I am sorry for your family's loss.

Me too, but do listen to what the "Old Hands" on this forum have to say, my experience of a situation like this is zero, so I am unable to add anything constructive,

Just my condolances

My 2p's worth though- if it was me and one of my Son's I certainly would not just let it go- but at the end of the day it is your decision. May God be with you at this very traumatic time

Condolences to you and family. The ins. co. is the govt. They won't do anything and all you can expect from them is about 10,000bht. Your wife and family will have to talk to witness and convince them to give all info. to police. And yes move up the seniority level. It's not uncommon for police to ask for a little "tea" if other driver found. The only thing good that will come of this is maybe a little more ins. money if the other vehicle had private 1st class ins.