Foreigners And Thais Arrested In Passport Scam Linked To Terrorists

webfact

Eight arrested in passport scam linked to terrorists

By The Nation

Published on December 12, 2009

Eight arrested in passport scam linked to terrorists

Special investigators have arrested eight people, including three Thai women, who were allegedly members of two passport forgery rackets with links to the Madrid train bombings in 2004 that killed 191 people.

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) said yesterday that in addition to providing assistance to terrorists groups based in Europe, the two groups also provided fake passports to criminal gangs involved in drugs and human trafficking.

The first suspect to be arrested, Thai national Orawan Limprasert, 31, is a girlfriend of a member of the terrorist group that was responsible for the 2004 train bombings, DSI deputy directorgeneral Dusaddee Arayawuth said at a press conference yesterday.

Quoting Orawan, he said her racket's clients were mainly male travellers aged between 2535. The group forged passports stolen from holders based in Europe or those with EUgranted permits to travel in many European countries. "The passports forged by this group of suspects, which are sold at US$10,000 [bt330,000] apiece, are difficult to verify whether they are real or fake," he said.

The DSI is investigating furฌther whether passports were stolen from holders, or they were sold or given by holders to the racketeers.

At the request of Italian and Spanish police and other authorities, who provided tipoffs that documentforgery rackets in Europe had links to Orawan's ring, the DSI spent seven months to compile intelligence and evidence, after taking over the case from police in April, before it arrested her on Wednesday.

DSI agents found 40 fake British passports in Orawan's possession. Five others were arrested after her confession, and 300 documents were seized, issued by authorities mostly in France and Belgium.

The five members in this racket are Thai nationals Naowarat Khiyani 43, and Wilaiphorn Naebkaew, 28, Pakistani Assad Said Geeyani, 33, a Rohingya man known as Awaeh, 38, or Thai name of Kaew, and Ponnooturai Sitzabezan, 35, whose nationality is not known, and who was allegedly a member of the Sri Lankan Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).

Dusaddee did not provide details about past or present links between this racket and the LTTE, nor its roles with Europebased terrorist groups. Two senior security officials from Italy and Spain were present at the DSI press conference yesterday but they did not make any statements about terrorism related links this racket had with local cells in their countries.

The DSI, in coordination with the immigration police, also arrested two foreigners, who were allegedly smuggling and selling authentic passports issued by authorities in many countries.

The suspects are British national Ahoor Rambarak Fath, 45, and Swedish woman Masobukwe Moiseng Patricia Segage, 45, said Dusadee, who claimed they had confessed to the crimes, which they allegedly committed more than 20 times. Authorities found 104 authentic passports issued in Britain, Spain, France, Sweden, Israel, Russia and Norway with them.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that some Thais were peripherally involved with the Madrid bombings. Serious stuff. The long arm of the law, especially when extended by Europeans and Americans, has touched Thailand regarding that dastardly deed. Kudos to investigators. Don't enable conspirators to slip away on excuses.

It is no surprise that this gang has been thriving in Thailand considering the porous borders and corrupt and inefficient immigration. The fact that they have thrived here since the Madrid bombings begets belief, similar to the recent deportation of an Brit/Australian fraudster who has been living here for SEVEN years, Thailand must be harbouring tens of thousands foreign fraudsters and criminals. Thailand gets what it deserves through its ineptness !

The suspects are British national Ahoor Rambarak Fath, 45, and Swedish woman Masobukwe Moiseng Patricia Segage, 45

Yeah they really sound like British and Swedish names, more likely Middle eastern and African I would also be checking the validity of their ID docs. If they are legitimate passport holders shame on those countries for having such lax immigration laws! Britain is a far bigger haven for criminals than Thailand!

Interesting that some Thais were peripherally involved with the Madrid bombings. Serious stuff. The long arm of the law, especially when extended by Europeans and Americans, has touched Thailand regarding that dastardly deed. Kudos to investigators. Don't enable conspirators to slip away on excuses.

I wonder, where they by any chance Thais from the southernmost three provinces? Or at least lapsed muslim Thais?

Let's not be naive, Thailand shares a security threat paradigm with us in the West... perhaps even more so, given the tourism industry, and not to distant events nearby countries... I'm thinking of Bali.

Of course, terrorists feed off such paranoia, so it's a tricky one to call whether to make a big thing out of these kinds of events.

Sad though.

Have to agree with "Dukoleto", as soon as this concept of American-style immigration was introduced to europe, it's opened a pandoras box... Obviously these people aren't British or Swedish simply by virtue of a piece of paperwork... there's no ethnic connection, no common identity, and thus, no loyalty... just economics... no wonder then when the economics don't work for them, that they move to politics/religion.

How the security services must yearn for the simple days of "reds under the bed" and "mutually assured destruction"!

Edited by CaptainNemo

Very surprised indeed to here Thai's involved with the bombing in Madrid. Or I guess they just assisted with documentation and had no idea what they were doing it for. Its all for money and the love of greed!

The suspects are British national Ahoor Rambarak Fath, 45, and Swedish woman Masobukwe Moiseng Patricia Segage, 45

Yeah they really sound like British and Swedish names, more likely Middle eastern and African I would also be checking the validity of their ID docs. If they are legitimate passport holders shame on those countries for having such lax immigration laws! Britain is a far bigger haven for criminals than Thailand!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes sounds that they would come from arab countries and Africa country of some sort. Whatever citizenship they are holding. I would never call them British and Swedish.....

Glegolo

Yeah they really sound like British and Swedish names, more likely Middle eastern and African

These days they could easily be British. Some parts of the UK even have Sharia (civil) law now. Not sure what John Nettles would make of it all....

The only thing left that is "British" in the way you remember it is the weather.

Edited by Thormaturge

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes sounds that they would come from arab countries and Africa country of some sort. Whatever citizenship they are holding. I would never call them British and Swedish.....

Glegolo

Oh dear. The Swedish Miss World 2000 representative was a certain Ida Sofia Manneh and their representative in the Miss Universe 2002 pageant was a Malou Hansson. They were both born in Sweden and you can google their images.

There's just no allowing for narrow mindedness these days eh? There's hope though; I think the BNP are still recruiting.

Yours Sincerely,

Tonto Goldberg MacPherson

Edited by NanLaew

Yeah they really sound like British and Swedish names, more likely Middle eastern and African

These days they could easily be British. Some parts of the UK even have Sharia (civil) law now. Not sure what John Nettles would make of it all....

The only thing left that is "British" in the way you remember it is the weather.

Really! Which parts of Britain are subject to Sharia? Please educate me!

I wish The Nation would sack this writer..... seems to f&%k something up on every story! I'm sure they can afford to to pay at least one native speaker.

Wow, seems you'd be a hard boss to please. A few minor typos (responsibility of the sub-editor) and you want to sack "this writer" (not named) who "seems to f&%k something up on every story"? :) Assuming the detail of who said/didn't say what is correct, this item is near enough a model of proper reporting - I wish there was more of it.

Really! Which parts of Britain are subject to Sharia? Please educate me!

Don't sweat it. Thormaturge did include the VERY SIGNIFICANT qualifier (civil) in his post. There's no plans for public lopping off the hands of thieves or stoning the adulterers to death in down town Bradford at the weekend.

Not THIS weekend anyway!

There's one hel_l of a lot of "Brits" with names like that nowadays, large number of our prison inmates have very non Brit names.

And you would know this first-hand because....?

I wonder if their passports were real or manufactured for them?

Highly unlikely. Most probably it is just another scam in which mostly foreigners are involved. There are so many foreigners anywhere is Asia who are selling their passports for peanuts, report them as stolen and voila.

The same accusation came up two years ago when they busted a chap from bangladesh or Pakistan who had thousands of passports in his possession. The same claim was made that he was abiding terrorists. It just went away.

The chances that terrorist will buy passports in Thailand is zero percent. Thais are not very well known for keeping their mouth shut. Half the Thais are informing on the other half, moreover in those circles the only trust each other. This is just propaganda, to make authorities look good.

".....Let's not be naive, Thailand shares a security threat paradigm with us in the West... "

I don't understand this - is Thailand under threat of illegal invasion and endless occupation by foreign armies on the back of trumped-up evidence?

Which rampaging international force are we in the West fighting in fierce combat on our streets?

Captain Nemo, get some strong coffee, there's a good chap.

It is no surprise that this gang has been thriving in Thailand considering the porous borders and corrupt and inefficient immigration. The fact that they have thrived here since the Madrid bombings begets belief, similar to the recent deportation of an Brit/Australian fraudster who has been living here for SEVEN years, Thailand must be harbouring tens of thousands foreign fraudsters and criminals. Thailand gets what it deserves through its ineptness !

Nice example of complete generalisation to brand a significant %age....

err....10's of 1,000's of about, what, half-a-million foreigners

Note Bene: any ideas on rez population of non-Thai National in this fair land, anyone?.... or crims stats of same caught scamming for their daily bread..... :)(

On my guess then, about 10,000 of 500,000 OJ's (Overseas Johnnies, like) = 2 percent'ish..... sounds re-assuring and fallacious at the same time.

Any ideas on the non-Thai resident population in Thailand appreciated.

Top of the morning to you all, foreign or native :D)

British Brewsta

Resident in the Land Of Swindlers

Edited by Brewsta

British National? This scumbag is about as British as I'm Chinese!

as you can tell from the names, not really genuine british or swedish citizen, more likely NEW IMPORTED ones that cause trouble all over europe

Ooohhh.... better watch out for all these 'look krung' when they grow up and assert their Thai citizenship here. Not all things foreign looking or sounding are imported... unless it's top brand electrical appliances and certain prestige automobiles we are talking about here.

British weather is now referred to as Muslim Weather; 10% sunni, 90% shiite.

If they are legitimate passport holders shame on those countries for having such lax immigration laws! Britain is a far bigger haven for criminals than Thailand!

When Thailand finds a "Overstay abuser", they normally lock them up and deport them back to their home country. (They did it to a friend who was lippy to them)

In the UK, the Home Office admit they have no clue of how many "Illegal Immigrants" or "Refused Asylam Seekers" are wandering the streets of Britian, and without ID cards would argue they are ligitimate. Anyway, if they were stopped and questioned, there would be an outcry of "Racial Profiling", whether they are black, white or pink* or shades inbetween. (*Old Eastern block)

Yours Sincerely,

Tonto Goldberg MacPherson

:) Yes, I loved that joke, for which you have repeated the punchline.