Eva Air Exec/dlx/elite Vs Thai Premium Economy

tangoll

Has anyone ridden on both Eva Air's Elex Dlx/Elite and Thai Airways Premium Economy classes, and if so, how do they compare against each other. In mid-2010 I will be flying BKK/LAX/BKK and the return fare for both are about the same, Thai being just a bit less expensive: for 6 months validity, Thai is baht 43,000 vs. Eva 48,000 baht. There are other special fares, such as Eva, 2 months validity, but no mileage accrual 32,000 baht, which seems like a pretty good deal. Eva makes a stop in Taipei with a wait of about 2 hours, whereas I think Thai's flight is non-stop.

I noticed that the Thai PE seat has a pitch of 42 inches vs. Eva's 38 inches. Thai seat has a width of 19 inches, but I'm not sure what Eva's seat width is, probably something similar.

Would anyone who has flown both care to give me your observations and experience?

Thank you.

jimmym40, you are correct. The prices I quoted in my post are before tax and fees. But here is also another anomaly, the Thai tax/fees come to about 12,500; whereas the Eva Air tax/fees are stated as about 9,000 baht on top of the 48,000 baht fare, but if you took the 32,000 baht no mileage promo plan, the tax/fees come to only 6,500.

Since I rarely am able to make use of the mileage accumulated totals, I will likely go for the no mileage plan if the plan extends to the time when I wish to travel. The problem with the Eva Exec/Dlx seat is that it really doesn't recline all that much, and the 38 in pitch doesn't allow for all that much legroom and isn't even close to being able to lie flat.

Although I don't have any experience with elite or premium deluxe, I am a regular on The BKK-NRT/TPE and connecting transpacific business class flights, and I often walk through the premium seating sections depending upon the sector. My experience is that while the TG configs can sometimes give a bit more room in all cabins, the seats and IFE systems are often dated, worn and non-operational. Food service on TG is often hit and miss while EVA has a consistent mediocrity. For the most part, the food served in deluxe/premium is similar to that of business, although there is a bit of flair in business. The reality though is that one is served the same dried out unappatizing greasy glop, no matter where one sits. The wines and liquor are the same for both sections too. On that, the TG staff are more generous in all cabins compared to EVA. Lavatories are much cleaner on EVA, but that's probably due to the newer EVA fleet. There are not years of urine drippings on the floors and carpets of EVA as on TG.

FAs are consistent on EVA. They may not speak english but they try. On TG you can often get the infamous TG surly scowl. Checkin experience is equivalent, but baggage handling especially for connections is superior on EVA. Strange because the 2 airlines are often relying on the same airline partners to handle transfers. Even when I arrive in Thailand and my bag is transferred to a TG flight from EVA, I never have a problem, but going from a TG flight to a TG flight and the bag can get lost. When I have had a flight delay, EVA has been helpful but TG has been unimpressive. On pricing, I feel that I have always gotten my money's worth from EVA, even when there has been a problem. On TG, I feel abused and insignificant. In respect to ticketing or flight changes, TG has been better, and it is easier to change a ticket on TG because of the number of flights and excess capacity. Perhaps there is a benefit to having so many PAX avoiding the airline now. The biggest difference? On time performance. EVA has almost always managed to arrive on time. TG has been late on every flight I have flown. Making a tight connection from a TG flight means not having one's baggage make the connection. My bags always make it when EVA is involved.

My advice? Take EVA, your stress levels will be lower. EVA values it's PAX. I don't think TG cares about its PAX.

Edited by geriatrickid

I had the "pleasure" to fly with Thai Airways earlier this year in premium economy class on the Airbus 340-500 (same Thai use BKK-LAX this winter season). Although I haven't used Eva Air yet, I have flown with SAS in premium economy several times, and will continue to fly with SAS.

The Airbus is a pretty new plane, but the seats in premium economy are uncomfortable, and the legroom not that great. Actually, premium economy with Thai on a Boeing 747 are much better, although the plane and seats are older. The new recaro-seats (same manufacture as in sportscars) don't let you relax that much.

At least I was very disapointed.

Thai Business Class is woeful compared to Qatar Bus. Class, which is the best in terms of value and price.

I often go to Madrid on Bus. Class. The TG 747s are from the 1980s--the seats don't tilt flat. Madrid takes 13 hours, but I can't sleep. The service is bad too. They scowl, especially if you want copious wine! After about 3 hours in the air they all vanish to their bunks, and it is hard to get attention. We are talking Bus Class--and the prices are way up.

The Qatar fleet is new, and the Bus Class often empty-ish. Wines are good, and the food is fine. The seats go flat...and the prices are 25% cheaper than TG. The only problem is the stop in Qatar, but this can be less than 2 hrs for Madrid.

Lufthansa is good too, but it's via FFurt so quite long.

I try to avoid Thai Air whenever possible. I heard that the BKK-LHR has the same story with old planes and bad seats.

Eddy

I fly EVA elite on the 777 and it is economy delux on the 747. I am a big boy but no complaints about the seating on there airplanes. My only complaint is that the edge of the seats on the 777 catches my thigh and it becomes uncomfortable after a bit. I have enough miles so I can usually upgrade to business and the EVA lounge in Taipai is ok for a shower and a light snack before catching the next flight and never a problem with bags.

EVA's seat is 18" wide though I found it narrow. The armrest extends forward to the edge of the seat and restricts your sideways range that you can move your legs.

I have only been in steerage on the BKK-LAX-BKK. The total travel time time in the air and on the ground. is important to me. The airbus 345 is new and nice with full back of seat video unlike most of Thai's well aged fleet. I am 6' 2" and find the seat to be very good. I do think the 2 Ambien, copious Scotch, wine and brandy are a great help in snoozing the hours away. The Ambien you must provide yourself.

However, I am miffed that Thai has halfed the mileage credit on this route. They just don't get it.

Thai Airways Premium Economy is better than Eva Elite. Thai airways has bigger-luxurious-comfy seat and the food is much better with elegant silver utensils. On top of that- it is a nonstop flight BKK-LAX.

I also got a free set of eye mask/compact toothbrush (foldable-w/toothpaste inside) and a cool purple Thai airways pouch. :)