Using My Iphone 3gs In Koh Phangan?

mikenmar

I'm headed to Koh Phangan, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use my 3GS iPhone there to connect to the Internet and/or make calls.

If so, can someone give me a basic explanation of what I have to do (without incurring huge roaming charges I mean).

I've been poking around the forum for info, but I haven't been able to find a basic enough explanation. But I gather that I'll first have to jailbreak and unlock the phone? Then buy a SIM card and/or data plan when I get to Thailand?

Or is all this a waste of time because I won't be able to get any connection in Koh Phangan anyway?

Any help would be appreciated, as simple as possible.

Thanks,

Mike

You wont get a 3g there (tho 3g is appearing it seems even without licenses) but you will fall back on EDGE / GPRS.

I don't need a 3GS network, it'll work on 2G right?

Is it hard to find WiFi on Koh Phangan? Will be splitting my time between Haad Chao Phao and Haad Rin mostly.

Also, any advice on what SIM card to get for that area (something that would work with the iPhond 3GS obviously)?

Looks like both TRUE and AIS have coverage, but AIS looks a little better for Koh Phangan, based on the maps I've seen. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has real-world experience in that area.

thanks

i use dtac with my iphone on samui for phone service and data. oddly enough, due to my location on the far northwestern side of the island most of my phone calls bounce off a phangan tower before coming back to my neighbors phone. anyway, yes, 12call works with iphone considering you have done the "groundwork" necessary to free it up from wherever it came.

i use dtac with my iphone on samui for phone service and data. oddly enough, due to my location on the far northwestern side of the island most of my phone calls bounce off a phangan tower before coming back to my neighbors phone. anyway, yes, 12call works with iphone considering you have done the "groundwork" necessary to free it up from wherever it came.

Yep, unlocked and loaded, so to speak.

Great, thanks for the help. Still interested if people have opinions on which is better for that area, TRUE or AIS. I'll be using mostly data if that makes any difference.

thanks.