Scalextric In Thailand?

Ciaphas

scalextric, wow that takes me back... I used to love it, I doubt you'll be able to get it here though, probably have to order from Amazon or something

Have a nearly new set on top of wardrobe that really wasn't a big hit with my step-son. I did have a good look around Bang Na Central one day in the hope of buying some extra bits but couldn't see anything. E-bay has quite a selection (ncluding new stuff) but as you know there is the problem with customs, DHL etc. With my younger son I'm going for model railways which have a better re-sale value. Hornby comes from China now so may be for sale in Thailand.

Hornby (and Scalextric ?) used to be designed & manufactured in Margate, Kent, UK. The parent-company had a very rocky financial history in those days. Eventually they transferred production to China, keeping their H.O. & design in the UK, things immediately got better, and they started to turn a profit again. :D

Not good news for the factory-workers, but at least the company and designs survived, I heard they even managed to buy-out one of their continental former-competitors, when it went bust, a few years ago ?

I guess the UK just can't compete with Asian production-costs anymore, sad but life goes on, hope that the same isn't happening to Thailand's factories, as places like Vietnam undercut them. :)

Looking at my son's old scalectrix set the sticker on it says Thai Slot Car Co Ltd - and believe it or not - they have a web site of the same name.

Oh its the real McCoy - no doubt about it - not some cheap far east copy.

They still make scalectrix!!! ........ that takes me back a few years as well!!!

...more info from their website!

Scalextric is available in these retail stores:

Toys "R" Us on the 6th Floor at Central World Plaza, Bangkok.

Siam Paragon Department Store in the 3rd Floor Toy Department, Bangkok.

The Thai Slot Car Company showroom in Phra Khanong, Bangkok. Just a short walk from the Phra Khanong BTS Skytrain station, with easy parking.

Edited by Maizefarmer

• 4 weeks later...
Looking at my son's old scalectrix set the sticker on it says Thai Slot Car Co Ltd - and believe it or not - they have a web site of the same name.

Oh its the real McCoy - no doubt about it - not some cheap far east copy.

They still make scalectrix!!! ........ that takes me back a few years as well!!!

...more info from their website!

Scalextric is available in these retail stores:

Toys "R" Us on the 6th Floor at Central World Plaza, Bangkok.

Siam Paragon Department Store in the 3rd Floor Toy Department, Bangkok.

The Thai Slot Car Company showroom in Phra Khanong, Bangkok. Just a short walk from the Phra Khanong BTS Skytrain station, with easy parking.

I also used to have a set when I was a child so this thread peeked my interest.

I phoned, they have a regular Sunday afternoon get together at Thai Slot Car but if one phones ahead the track can be available at other times. Largish track, sometime 4 lanes, sometimes 2, it changes from time to time, computer lap timing allows one to measure ones progress. So far there is no hardcore racing just laps and chat or laps and beer depending on the hour.

There is also a track at Digital World? a mall opposite Paragon. Although when I went there it was deserted no staff no contact info.

Slotcars have had a bit of a resurgence thanks to a few "boutique" manufacturers from Spain and Italy, where it is a huge sport/hobby.

With my younger son I'm going for model railways which have a better re-sale value.

I hope your son shares your enthusiasm. :) They dont always. There are train guys and there are car guys. :D

It must be me as I have never considered resale value when I buy anything. I buy it because I like it or need it not becasue I want to sell it. I suppose if I still had some of my old slot car stuff I could sell it. But I played with mine which seems to be a no no if some kind of return is the desire.

Edited by VocalNeal

If ever there's a reason to have kids then it'd be that it gains you an excellent excuse to by a slot car set. :D

(I'd get a Carrera brand one of course, as it's obviously superior. :) )

Do I detect some nationalistic prejudice. :D

Track is wider, rails are stainless steel so it is certainly better than some BUT the cars are generally rubbish.

• 9 months later...
scalextric, wow that takes me back... I used to love it, I doubt you'll be able to get it here though, probably have to order from Amazon or something

Have a nearly new set on top of wardrobe that really wasn't a big hit with my step-son. I did have a good look around Bang Na Central one day in the hope of buying some extra bits but couldn't see anything. E-bay has quite a selection (ncluding new stuff) but as you know there is the problem with customs, DHL etc. With my younger son I'm going for model railways which have a better re-sale value. Hornby comes from China now so may be for sale in Thailand.

Hello, do you still have the set from your wardrobe ? If so, is it for sale ?

Many thanks, Andrew. //e-mail removed as per forum rules//

Edited by Tywais
e-mail removed as per forum rules

• 1 year later...

Hi i have a scalextric Street pursuit set for sale 3,500 baht boxed like new !

i had more fun than my two boys! selling due to lack of use

Scalextric Street Pursuit set features a Lamborghini Gallardo supercar and Range Rover Police pursuit car – the perfect combination for a high speed street pursuit. The cars feature lightweight bodies and a unique ‘drift guide blade’ to enable them to drift around the bends and perform 180° and 360° spins. This adds an exciting new dimension to Scalextric racing, with some clever manoeuvres to help you get away from the police car in pursuit.

Just realised that I missed Andrew's message from last year. The set is still there but I'm back in the UK at present and won't be back in LOS for some months. It could be that my younger lad will use the set in future, but it never did catch his brother's imagination. We also have a lot of 00 guage railway stuff now. When I mentioned re-sale value above I wasn't intending to seem mercenary. It is just that there is more of a collectors' market for model railways and the models hold their value well if kept in good condition - at least that's what I tell my wife.