Thai Govt' Blocks CNN, Yahoo Finance, Facebook And Other American Sites

webfact

The state of Internet in Thailand:

Thai Govt' blocks CNN, Yahoo finance, Facebook, Flickr and other American sites

Thai Immigration website reported as attack site

gallery_327_1086_7254.png

Thai Immigration website is reported as an attack site by Google and FireFox. Thaivisa has

several times tried to contact with the IT section of the Immigration Bureau, but to no avail.

BANGKOK: -- Internet access in Thailand is not always easy, and can be dangerous as well.

Last week the Bangkok post website was listed as an attack site by Google and Fire Fox. Recently the website of Thailand Immigration Bureau was found being reported as an "attack site".

Of their 1376 pages Google tested on the Thai Immigartion site over the past 90 days, 133 pages resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-12-13, and the last time suspicious content was found on the site was on 2009-12-12.

Malicious software on the Thai Immigration website includes 49 exploits, 40 scripting exploits and 32 Trojans, according to Google and FireFox.

MICT blocking CNN, Facebook, Yahoo, Flickr for some users/ISP's

On another note, The Ministry of Information and Communication Technology is today blocking websites hosted in USA.

Example of blocked sites as of this morning: edition.cnn.com, facebook.com, finance.yahoo.com, flickr.com

MICT is redirecting the blocked traffic to their website http://mict.go.th, and instead showing a portrait of HM the King of Thailand together with well wishes for His Majesty's birthday.

Depending on the ISP some users do not face the reported problems. Discussion here: Internet forum branch

Using proxy servers and trying to circumvent government blocked websites is a criminal offense in Thailand.

-- Thaivisa.com 2009-12-14

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that explains it! My 90 Reporting is due this week and I visited the site last night just to get the latest and My NOD32 went ballistic, and immediately flashed up a warning. Thankfully NOD, at my request for immediate action. terminated the offending script.

that explains it! My 90 Reporting is due this week and I visited the site last night just to get the latest and My NOD32 went ballistic, and immediately flashed up a warning. Thankfully NOD, at my request for immediate action. terminated the offending script.

I received this warning last week before going for my visa extension. I still went because I needed the information. I should do a really thorough scan of my system. I thought it was just Google being a bit paranoid.

I am having some troubles as well, using CAT in Phuket. The big sites are working for me (Yahoo, Google, Facebook, etc) but some of the games that I play are not. It seems that if the address begins with s* that it is being blocked. www.travian.com works, but s6.travian.com does not. www.ikariam.com works, but s8.ikariam.com does not.

Bummer. Guess I will have to do work today instead :)

This is anti virus software blocking the sites. It seems likely that the person getting this messages have messed up himself. hat an immigration site is blocked is understandable. Lots of incompetent IT people working for governments allow wholes the size of Bangkok for malware to penetrate.

But there is nothing wrong with my computers I can access all the so called blocked sites from three different ISP's

This is anti virus software blocking the sites. It seems likely that the person getting this messages have messed up himself. hat an immigration site is blocked is understandable. Lots of incompetent IT people working for governments allow wholes the size of Bangkok for malware to penetrate.

But there is nothing wrong with my computers I can access all the so called blocked sites from three different ISP's

its reported from different locations /ISP's by members

Myself is getting that message from 3 different computers

What the heck are you talking about!? None of these sites are 'blocked by the Thai government'. You should edit the headline and story for wildly inaccurate hysterical information.

"Thai Immigration website is reported as an attack site by Google and FireFox."

Reported as an attack site by Firefox? Since when does Firefox report attack websites? Do you understand the difference between your browser and a search engine reporting an attack site?

Are they blocking Hotmail ? Because for the last 1,5 week it's difficult to reach hotmail as well as many other websites (website my bank in the Netherlands and so on)

I'm living in Central Pattaya and I use TTNT for my internetconnection.

Anybody has the some problems ?

interesting to put this on a news ticker without checking it. It could have been the Nation they too never check facts.
Given your 3 ISP's comment, I wonder what DNS' are you using on them? Presently I can access cnn, bbc, youtube, however facebook.com is being redirected to w3.mict.go.th on TOT in Bangkok using their DNS service.

Regards

PS By the by I can ping facebook.com 69.63.184.142 fine, but on the same machine I get mict.go.th in browser.

Edited by A_Traveller

Yep me also, no problemos :)

A non-event if ever I saw one!

Whatever possesses people to post threads on the well-known vagaries of the internet here is beyond me.

I disagree. That a government website is crawling with trojans and script-exploits surely SHOULD be big news.

interesting to put this on a news ticker without checking it. It could have been the Nation they too never check facts.
Given your 3 ISP's comment, I wonder what DNS' are you using on them? Presently I can access cnn, bbc, youtube, however facebook.com is being redirected to w3.mict.go.th on TOT in Bangkok using their DNS service.

Regards

I am running my own DNS server and facing the very same problem. :)