35 Day Stay

Sorry to bother with a request for advice but my situation is this:

I'm flying in from Melbourne this Saturday, December 18 and am booked to fly back to Melbourne on January 21 - 35 days.

I rang the Thai consulate in Melbourne today and asked if this would be a problem. (I have been to Thailand many times and have lived there for stretches).

The (Aussie) guy said I need a visa from them because my stay exceeds 28 days.

He also said, and this is the clincher, that I will not be allowed into Thailand because my stay is over the limit for an automatic visa.

This has got to be crap hasn't it? I told the guy I could go to Thai Immigration and get a 15 day extension or else do a trip to Laos or Cambodia but he said, no, you will not be allowed in.

Advice anyone?

Thanks for your reply LB.

I'm flying Thai and if I want to get a visa I have to drive through busy city traffic and get to the consulate by 2pm, having to take time off work, then pick it up again the next day or later, more time off work and I am leaving Saturday.

Surely they're not going to bar me when I get to Swampi.

You are correct. It is highly unlikely they will give you a problem IF you make it to BKK without a visa. However, it is highly likely your airline in Australia will not let you board in the first place. They may give you the option of purchasing a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, and then let you board. You are sounding like you are not accepting bad news. We didn't make up the rules, just the messengers.

Edited by Jingthing

As LB says chances are you will not be allowed on the plane, the check in staff do look for visas. I know this as they overlooked my visa once and were in the process of telling me I can't go when I pointed it out to them. It's a bummer and a pity Thailand doesn't use an e visa system like Cambodia or an online application/letter of invitation like Viet Nam but there you have it. Daft thing is that of all the times I've flown into Thailnad on a visa exempt entry immigration have NEVER asked to see the onward/return ticket. So from that I surmise that they rely on the airlines.

So if you did manage to check in, yes the strong probability is you'd pass through immigration no problem.

What you could do is book the cheapest one way ticket out of Thailand with AirAsia dated arrival + 25 days and flash that at check in. Means you waste that money unless you can cancel with AA and get (some) money back.

If you have a credit card you can tell them at check-in that u r planning to visit Siam Reap or anywhere else that pops into your mind...they may take your credit card details

Why they may want this info is because you only get 30 days on arrival and as your ticket is for 35 days u may not be admitted to Thailand.....the last thing an airline wants is to take you back to Aus straight away without u paying,,,,but as u have a return ticket cant see it being a real big problem

The law is the law and your ticketing agent is only doing his job advising you of it...imagine if it all turned to custard and he hadn't advised you....you would be very grumpy to say the least

Thanks for your advice guys.

I took it. I drove to the Thai Consulate and applied for a 60 visa.

I pick it up tomorrow. Cost: about 1400 baht.

Well worth it for peace of mind.

I would have gone ahead and risked it if it hadn't been for your posts above.

Cheers.

The current MFA promotion is that single entry tourist visas are free until 4th March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 25 June B.E. 2552 (2009) to 4 March B.E. 2553 (2010). Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa only.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2637.php

Yes JusMe, $45au for a 60-day visa, about $120au for a 90-day one, and more for a multi-entry visa.

Only the month ones are free on arrival I believe.

^Thanks for that Thaipoon. I will certianly let them know about this at the Consulate tomorrow.

Edited by Godolphin

Yes JusMe, $45au for a 60-day visa, about $120au for a 90-day one, and more for a multi-entry visa.

Only the month ones are free on arrival I believe.

^Thanks for that Thaipoon. I will certianly let them know about this at the Consulate tomorrow.

The 60 day is free out of Canada.

You guys were right.

I just got back from the Thai Consulate and, indeed, got my 60-day visa free of charge.

The reason why I thought they would be charging was a big price list right near the customer window.

I'm glad this little saga is over and that I can get over there without any hassles.

Thanks again for all your advice posters.