House Building

^^

Holy shit gaz, that sounds more like a hotel rather than a house, do you have a built in indoor olympic size swimming pool?

Jeez your outdoor terracing is bigger than some houses.

Well done, enjoy.

Wouldnt expect much change out of 10 million if at all, nice one.

Is the reflective aluminium sheet installed under the roof tile shiny side up or shiny side down?

It should be shiny side down for maximum benefit.

As long as there is a sufficient air gab, min 5cm, between the roof tiles and the shiny side of the aluminium sheet it doesn't matter whether the shiny side is facing up or down. Having said that, facing the shiny side down has the benefit of it being much less sensitivity to dust reducing the reflection factor.

All comments most welcome, even sly digs abt Pattaya girls getting lucky !!! must be a few guys been "stung"out there getting all vindictive.....no drama from my side there... best of luck next time mate....

Re insulation...investigated very well,installed correctly.Not standard thai Alu sheet used,more of a bubble wrap material not that common on thai builds but very common in high climate euro countries, which highlights clearly which way is "up".You may also notice the triangular section on the roof which also assists greatly in ventilation and the type of tile are also not standard thai roof tile but specifically chosen for insulation purpose.

Other things investigated which may not be clear on photo is cavity wall - specific brick used on each wall dependant on direction,utility of room etc.

earthing throughout.

comments are most welcome but please keep to the topic and lay off the pattaya girl basher posts.......take a good look at yourselves before you post....maybe its you your questions are aimed at ????

EPG.

It is an interesting design you have chosen EPG and indeed a very large house. As I am also building a house, four months plus to go before being finished, I find it interesting to see how others are doing.

From the pictures I see you have chosen to use the red Thai bricks for your walls. Will it be single or double layers and did you ever consider using super blocks instead?

Thai red bricks only used on the outside covered terrace and outside covered walkways where I wasn't so bothered abt the insulation but still used double brick.The house was built using high insulation super block.Everywhere is double brick with cavity. stgrhe i think another 4 months to complete everything including landscape,the internal finish & furnished.How long have you been building your place ?

the reflective aluminium sheet installed under the roof tile...

is equivalent to the efficiency of trying to shoot an elephant with a 4mm airgun. much more important is a proper ventilation of the attic and the insulation of the gypsum ceilings above the rooms. the latter is not easy to achieve as laying insulation mats directly on the suspended ceiling is nearly impossible due to the suspension straps. blown in insulation is (to the best of my knowledge) unknown in Thailand where the majority of builders have only slightly more technical knowledge than my dogs.

having double outside walls and using gas concrete blocks (Q-Con, Ytong, Superblock to name a few brands) is an excellent idea. however, most builder and clients don't know that the top of the walls have to be closed to prevent air movement between the two walls.

any builder who uses thai red bricks with 2-3cm of mortar in between should be shot at sight. the owners should not be punished as they will be punished by Thailand's climate :)

Thai red bricks only used on the outside covered terrace and outside covered walkways where I wasn't so bothered abt the insulation but still used double brick.The house was built using high insulation super block.Everywhere is double brick with cavity. stgrhe i think another 4 months to complete everything including landscape,the internal finish & furnished.How long have you been building your place ?

The construction soft-started early August and we are now about 40% done I would say. Phase two, which completes the structural work, is now expected to be completed by 31st of January.

Our house is much smaller than yours, exactly 200m2 indoor area in the main house plus a 60m2 covered terrace, a 30m2 guest house, a pump house for the pump and filtering equipment and the pool equipment, and a forth building housing laundry, store and carport. Our plot is in a development on a 980m2 plot and located in Pranburi just across the border from Hua Hin.

Our time schedule is right now about one month late but we do not give priority to the time as quality is much more important. We also have a well worded liquidated damages clause for late delivery written in our contract, and will thus be compensated financially should the final delivery time not be met.

Like you we will be using double layer of super blocks with cavity and the roof insulation will be CPAC's thick aluminium look-a-like covered product. This product is a reasonable good insulator against both convection heat and radiant heat.

the reflective aluminium sheet installed under the roof tile...

is equivalent to the efficiency of trying to shoot an elephant with a 4mm airgun. much more important is a proper ventilation of the attic and the insulation of the gypsum ceilings above the rooms. the latter is not easy to achieve as laying insulation mats directly on the suspended ceiling is nearly impossible due to the suspension straps. blown in insulation is (to the best of my knowledge) unknown in Thailand where the majority of builders have only slightly more technical knowledge than my dogs.

having double outside walls and using gas concrete blocks (Q-Con, Ytong, Superblock to name a few brands) is an excellent idea. however, most builder and clients don't know that the top of the walls have to be closed to prevent air movement between the two walls.

any builder who uses thai red bricks with 2-3cm of mortar in between should be shot at sight. the owners should not be punished as they will be punished by Thailand's climate :)

2 comments on the above;

1. With al. foil and a vented roof there is no need for insulating mats on the upper side of the ceiling- all this does is to make sure you retain the days heat inside the house after the sun goes down. Foil will reduce about 95% of the heat being transmitted into the roof space.

2. Please explain why the tops of the walls have to be closed ?? - where I come from cavity walls are vented low down and open at the top to allow airflow thru the cavity and into the roof space where it can be vented to the outside via the roof vents.