Apostilled Documents..

LivinLOS

I now find out that the USA wont accept the certified documents I have already provided but instead insist on "a notarized and apostilled" passport copy before giving my money back to me !!

PK law dont know what an apostilled document is, and neither did the next lawyer I asked.. I am now concerned as Thailand isnt a signatory to the Hague convention either.

Anyone know a notary public that can provide an apostilled copy ?? I really dont want to go to bangkok just to visit the US embassy when this is entirely other peoples mistakes with my money. :)

Lilos, what is it you are trying to do? Money back for what?

You probably already saw this, but if not, Wiki says:

In countries which are not signatories to the 1961 convention and do not recognize the apostille, a foreign public document must be legalized by a consular officer in the country which issued the document.

The issue is one of my brokers claims he never got a W8 I sent him, and never checked or followed up on it.. Hence I made a trade last year and uncle sam is now sitting on my money (for almost a year), despite me not being an american, or bring in the states in that tax year, or anything. Getting my own money back out of the USA tax system is proving to be step after step after step, things like needing to get a international taxpayer number to even track the tax return etc !! Even with engaging a tax lawyer theres some stuff they cant do for me, namely these documents.

The document to be proven is simply my passport, the guidance paperwork says that "Foreign notaries are acceptable if they attach an apostille to the notarized document as outlined by the Hague convention" but no one seems to know what that means and the certified copies I sent in the past are not accepted. Its getting to the point where I might just send them one of my original passports and see if they can deny the actual document !!

The issue is one of my brokers claims he never got a W8 I sent him, and never checked or followed up on it.. Hence I made a trade last year and uncle sam is now sitting on my money (for almost a year), despite me not being an american, or bring in the states in that tax year, or anything. Getting my own money back out of the USA tax system is proving to be step after step after step, things like needing to get a international taxpayer number to even track the tax return etc !! Even with engaging a tax lawyer theres some stuff they cant do for me, namely these documents.

The document to be proven is simply my passport, the guidance paperwork says that "Foreign notaries are acceptable if they attach an apostille to the notarized document as outlined by the Hague convention" but no one seems to know what that means and the certified copies I sent in the past are not accepted. Its getting to the point where I might just send them one of my original passports and see if they can deny the actual document !!

Thailand is not a signatory of the Hague Convention that's why you can't have an apostille attached. but i am sure a "consularised" copy by one of your home country's consulates or the embassy will be accepted.

What about a copy of your passport, and a covering letter from the Honorary British Consul (Martin Carpenter) in Phuket, with both documents then having the Consular stamp? Might be worthwhile speaking to him about it (PM me for his phone number if you don't already have it).

Yeah am going to see what I can do with the consuls..

Failing that, I have a passport thats only got a year or so left on it (and have multiples) I could send an original passport tho fear that might cause more problems as its such a unusual approach.