Non Immigrant R For Buddhist Laypeolpe

dhammarato

Dear friends

I stay since some time as a buddhist monk in Thailand (forrest tradition) and enjoy very much to practice the Dhamma. But since some time I think about to desrobe and continue my practice as a laymen.

Now my question:

Does anyone here knows under what condition a practicing laymen could get a non immigrant R?

Thanks for your answer.

Peace

Just to be sure, are you talking about a visa only or also about an extension of stay from immigration in Thailand?

For the visa it might be important where you will apply. Some consulates in Europe are very friendly, while in Asia they tend to be stricter.

Hi!

Sounds really nice to stay as a forest monk, can you tell us more about the life and how did you get the R visa?

I agree that if you study Buddhism you could get a Education visa, you can get one for Study Thai boxing as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to enter a Thai Wat as a novice you can get a visa to do that. I think that is what you are referring to as a non immigrant R visa.

However I'm sure you're going to need a letter from the Wat that you plan to enter verifying that you have been accepted there in order to get that visa.

As for the visa to study Thai boxing....you need a letter from the school you plan to attend which shows they have accepted you.

Also just for information, the immigration is starting a crackdown/check procedure on those who apply for a Ed visa to attend Thai language classes. Anyone who tries to renew his/her Ed visa for the purpose of learning Thai will now have to undergo a spoken test on their comprehension of Thai in order to get an extension of their visa.

For that reason, I expect that if you want to stay in Thailand to study to become a momk...you will be tested on your progress in order to keep that visa.

If you are serious, that's no problem. If you are not, it could be problem.

There are Wats that will accept you as a Thai forest monk...but the lifestyle is rather rough and you better be ready for it. Do a goggle search and you will find them.

If you are serious about living that life style, fine. But don't expect it to be fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a place, called the National Office of Buddhism... I will do some research for you and tell you where it is.. I was there once, I got a letter from them stating I was studying Buddhism.. of course I am a phra farang, but I am not sure it makes much difference... I may be wrong.. However, I took this letter from them and a letter from my abbot to immigration and got a 1 year non-immmig R visa... I am now in the U.S., still a monk, and all the paper work I have is back in my temple in Thailand.. but give me a day or two and I will have the address for you. At least it would be worthwhile to check it out...

Oki, thank you very much. I like that address. Can you study Buddhism and still get a visa R without being a monk? Like research into Buddhism? What is the visa R? do they want you to have any other things like to out every 3 month or any money?

I know you should not have any money as a monk but you know this is Thailand you never know :)

There's a place, called the National Office of Buddhism... I will do some research for you and tell you where it is.. I was there once, I got a letter from them stating I was studying Buddhism.. of course I am a phra farang, but I am not sure it makes much difference... I may be wrong.. However, I took this letter from them and a letter from my abbot to immigration and got a 1 year non-immmig R visa... I am now in the U.S., still a monk, and all the paper work I have is back in my temple in Thailand.. but give me a day or two and I will have the address for you. At least it would be worthwhile to check it out...

khaowong1,

Could you tell me if you are living in a monastic setting in the U.S.? If so, would you be so kind as to tell me where?

Thank you. :)

khaowong1,

Could you tell me if you are living in a monastic setting in the U.S.? If so, would you be so kind as to tell me where?

I live at Wat Promkunaram in Phoenix, Arizona...

khaowong1,

Thanks for letting me know.

khaowong1,

Thanks for letting me know.

JayJay, I'm still looking for that address, I have a e-mail into a friend in Lopburi, a Thai, who went with me... he will get back to me with the address and I will forward it to you asap... sorry for the delay...

Hey guys, hope you guys could help me out. I'm looking to go to Thailand in 2010 sometime to ordain as a monk. I'm from America and I plan to stay in Thailand for a few years or longer if possible. Now my question is, how exactly do I go about getting a Non-Immigrant R Visa? Also how much money would be sufficient to stay for a few years? At the moment I am saving but would like to know how much to bring with me. I will be heading to North East Thailand to Chiang Mai. Thanks.

I finally found the address I was looking for.. this is where I went to get a letter, saying I was studying Buddhism, and it got me a 1 year R visa..

The National Office of Buddhism

Puttamonton 4 rd., Puttamonton district,

Nakornpatom Province

www.onab.go.th

Dr. Amnat is the head man there and speaks English well..

So you do not have to become a monk it is enough you need to study Buddhism?

but you should either be studying at a university or with a respected monk at a respected temple... in either case you need a letter from the university or the abbot at the temple, stating you are studying Buddhism... and a letter from the National Office of Buddhism... two letters are required for the R visa. I been there and know for certain about the letter from the National Office of Buddhism... it's in the rules for the R visa...

thank you very much. Do you need income or go out from the country or anything with the R visa?

no, neither... it's a one year visa, check in every 90 days to immigration police for address verification..

Hey Khaowong1, is there a different office or university closer to Chiang Mai?

no, I tried this also with a Lopburi office of the National Office of Buddhism... the immigration people wouldn't accept it... they told me I had to have a letter from the main office... the office I just quoted... sorry...

• 3 weeks later...

For verification, I as a layman (karawaat) am studying Buddhism at my local temple. If I would like to get an R-visa, do I have to live at the temple?

So all I need is a letter from my abbot and from The National Office of Buddhism in Nakornpatom. Are there other requirements? Any interviews or such?

How easily is the letter issued for laymen (not having shaved head/eyebrows)?

Just being interested in Buddhism is not enough to get you a non-im. visa. the NBO will issue for monks, and occasionally Mae Chees. The only way to get this for laymen is to go to a sympathetic Embassy abroad, and tell them you are going to study dhamma (a letter from a centre helps). They have the right to issue a one year visa, though usually they only issue 3 months. Perth was good for this, but perhpas not so much now.