Thailand Connected To High-bandwidth Submarine Cable

george

Please explain how this cable can improve anything for the nominal adsl user.

Currently they have a certain speed connection from the Dslam to the general server.Then they connect 3 times more users then recommended to that Dslam so that everyone get's a crap connection.

Now they have a new international link installed,how will this improve the speed for the users-read everyone in thailand-connected to that overloaded Dslam that will still have the same speedconnection to the general server

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Toronto Canada

Download Speed: 1435 kbps (179.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 288 kbps (36 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 375 ms

December-15-09 7:41:15 PM

Tracing route to thaivisa.com [203.174.85.146]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms 1 ms 192.168.2.1

2 15 ms * 14 ms 69.172.112.1

3 14 ms * 13 ms 66.49.255.185

4 15 ms 61 ms 14 ms 77.67.108.113

5 189 ms 46 ms 111 ms atm2-0-1.core1.winnipeg.primus.ca [216.254.130.66]

6 49 ms 97 ms 45 ms xe-0.equinix.asbnva01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [206.223.115.12]

7 77 ms 48 ms 75 ms te7-8.mpd01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.2.161]

8 52 ms 84 ms 56 ms as-0.r21.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.8]

9 75 ms 52 ms 74 ms verio.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.10.30]

10 131 ms 85 ms 121 ms as-2.r21.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.190]

11 222 ms 135 ms 225 ms as-2.r21.osakjp01.jp.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.86]

12 139 ms 294 ms 136 ms ae-0.r21.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.54]

13 296 ms 255 ms 296 ms ae-2.a00.sngpsi02.sg.ra.gin.ntt.net [116.51.16.250]

14 342 ms 301 ms 320 ms p16-1-1-0.r03.sngpsi02.sg.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.234]

15 304 ms 317 ms 305 ms 203-174-80-66.rev.ne.com.sg [203.174.80.66]

16 314 ms 300 ms 299 ms 203-174-80-54.rev.ne.com.sg [203.174.80.54]

17 314 ms 296 ms 328 ms 203-174-80-66.rev.ne.com.sg [203.174.80.66]

18 * 295 ms 330 ms 203-174-80-54.rev.ne.com.sg [203.174.80.54]

19 294 ms 319 ms 300 ms thaivisa.com [203.174.85.146]

Comments?

Just to have something to compare to, I stay in Norway for christmas at the moment.

My speed here is 6,2 MB download, and 0,5 MB upload.

That is on an average contract, not fast, but not slow either.

I think its pretty much the same most places in Europe.

So I guess the connection in Thailand is still pretty slow.

This is all very well about all these download speeds etc,, what we are really missing is the point of bad weather!!!

as we all know as soon as it rains all internet goes down,, well in my exp,,, certainly,, anyhoo,,will this make any difference to getting a solid connection in the rain,,,

i know off topic a touch but what is the best dongle- network to be using in phuket,, as i will be there sooon,???

all the best, chok dee :)

My 2k download 512 upload still rates 1700 and 430. Nothing has changed that I can see - especially when True, TOT, et al are still up-selling business on to the higher bandwidth when it shares that with consumers and game players - no sense, no responsibility! :)

Kamala, Phuket

I'm right now on CAT-CDMA (800 Baht/month)

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1022 kbps (127.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 614 kbps (76.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 225 ms

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:04:30 AM

2 months ago i was seeing speeds of 1,200 down although the upload seems to have improved

Edited by phuketrichard

Just to have something to compare to, I stay in Norway for christmas at the moment.

My speed here is 6,2 MB download, and 0,5 MB upload.

That is on an average contract, not fast, but not slow either.

I think its pretty much the same most places in Europe.

So I guess the connection in Thailand is still pretty slow.

Did it one more time, got 11,1 MB down, and 0.8 MB up.

That is at your thaivisa test. So it varies a lot then.

Still, it seems the tests from TOT etc. are way much lower, as always.

As a measure of actual connection speed, adslthailand has been very poor in recent days, prompting many complaints from customers of 2Mbps on their 5/8 Mbps lines. Using this test site, which has several servers in Thailand, shows speeds close to the 5/8 Mbps. I have not noticed any improvement in speeds on any ISP as yet.

http://www.speedtest.net/?s=1307

Please explain how this cable can improve anything for the nominal adsl user.

Currently they have a certain speed connection from the Dslam to the general server.Then they connect 3 times more users then recommended to that Dslam so that everyone get's a crap connection.

Now they have a new international link installed,how will this improve the speed for the users-read everyone in thailand-connected to that overloaded Dslam that will still have the same speedconnection to the general server

Which kind of DSLAM can be "overloaded"?

Excerpt from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line_access_multiplexer#Hardware_details):

"Each DSLAM has multiple aggregation cards, and each such card can have multiple ports to which the customers lines are connected. Typically a single DSLAM aggregation card has 24 ports, but this number can vary with each manufacturer."

I remember back in the days, when a Siemens DSLAM would only have 4 ports per aggregation card. They were often exchanged due to instability and other problems (I believe they were fried too easy). But how the hel_l you overload a DSLAM is beyond my comprehension.

But basjke, you seem to know an awful lot about the Thai ISPs: which type of DSLAM do they use? And how do the overload them? Or are you simply another drunk farang in LOS, who talk and talk and never really say anything?

Having an operational cable does not equal a faster operation in Thailand. There are probably numerous commissions of people who want to look like they are important who have to deal with the subject first, than maybe, they may start giving the consumers a bit more bandwidth. So do not get to exited. It will take a long long time before we actually see an improved internet speed.

Am getting net consistent bwidth of 4.3 Mbps on a monthly pyt of 350Bt ! ChiangMai Rocks! :))

Rgdz from Brewsta

Having an operational cable does not equal a faster operation in Thailand. There are probably numerous commissions of people who want to look like they are important who have to deal with the subject first, than maybe, they may start giving the consumers a bit more bandwidth. So do not get to exited. It will take a long long time before we actually see an improved internet speed.

Thats my first thought too. For what we need a faster seabone if the connections to the servers in our areas are too slow. As long as this telephone cable mess hanging between trees, or in some parts touching the streets, is not cleared nothing will change the speed.

There was a small thunderstorm yesterday evening with lightnings....followed by constantly disconnections every 5min.

I heard that TT&T users havnt the same problems, maybe because its a PRIVATE company....ToT is terrible.

btw. if the net works and in the moment it does, the connection is noticeable faster with streams.

I worked for a company which provided network solution tools for the phone+internetindustry, ToT was our last customer in ASIA so it will take them a while to catch up thought

And, don't forget the ...............as a limiting factor!

Great news. Just in time for me as I am installing a Slingbox HD in the states next week. As of now pingtest.net rates my line quality as a D. Maybe this will help. All those moaners, why don't you wait to see if the thing helps before bitching that it won't.

As of now, presumably the new cable is not in use yet. I have 4mb down/ 1mb up Maxnet Premier. I'll test again later to day and see if there is improvement.

5720233.png

10-11-20095-34-47PM.jpg

653547925.png

This is the Ping test in the US right? In Thailand we use the Pong test so they should work well together.They will go back and forth :D:):D

It is fantastic having a new fibre optic sub cable, but what equipment is at the landing site in Thailand, if it is the same equipment and has not been upgraded to a better DWDM system then you will not see much improvement. What equipment is there after the landing site, is it fibre after or just the usual thai cabling.

Equipment is the key issue, have not heard about a CAT IIG upgrade or even new equipment being bought or installed.

Khon Kaen, today, village 2, nearest hub nearly 2 km away.

2Mb contract

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1737 kbps (217.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 327 kbps (40.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 313 ms

woensdag 16 december 2009 8:37:40

In the afternoon, around the time "school is out" it drops down to half of the above.

Picks up around 21:00 to this speed.

Called oversubscription.

True internet 8Mb contract, friend of mine, between 20:00 and 15:00 next day between 6-0 Mb

Between 15:00 and 20:00 daytime speed 1800-2200 down and 270-350 up

Also called oversubscription

If the internet police is busy, speeds go down considerably.

Check your real broadband speed here:

http://speedtest.thaivisa.com

Using True

Last Result:

Download Speed: 8332 kbps (1041.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 306 kbps (38.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 170 ms

16 ธันวาคม 2552 8:43:42

Good download speed. Upload a different story of course. :)

Ping is kinda high though, I usually get 50-100 to Singapore.

Speedtest to the USA is roughly half that download speed, and 300 ping. All in all, I've been pretty happy with internet speeds lately. For me at least, it is definitely much better than a couple years ago, the improvement has been enormous.

Here's what I get :

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1984 kbps (248 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2855 kbps (356.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 26 ms

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:51:40 PM

Leased line from Loxinfo....

I'm in Mae Rim, outside Chiang Mai, using CAT CDMA with an external antennae. Not sure abut change as I don't do many speed tests.

Download Speed: 362 kbps (45.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 100 kbps (12.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 278 ms

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:49:39 AM

I live in Na Jomtien near the Ambassador hotel and have tried to get CAT or TT&T but they say they can't provide me with an internet service cuz they don't have cables that run here or whatever. Right now I'm on TOT which is worse than 56k modems I used 10-15 years ago back home. Does anyone know if there's any other ISP's I can switch to? There's CAT in jomtien and Bang saray but I'm in between the areas... :)

I use JI-NET 2MB BizConnect service here in Bangkok and this morning at 9:30-9:45am I ran internet speed tests on Speedtest.net to San Francisco (West Coast), Denver (middle of U.S.), Atlanta (southeast U.S.) and New York Center (East Coast). I got a downloads speeds of 1.4Mbits to 1.7Mbits, with NYC being the 1.4Mbits and the other three sites all pulling down around 1.7Mbits.

A standout point from this test to me is the close consistancy of the download speeds; in the past if I did such tests they would easily have a much wider and lower range (e.g., maybe from 500Kbits to 1.3Mbits. I then went to YouTube and pulled up three of the current most viewed videos and all three streamed without pauses; before I would always get way too many pauses. Yea, I know, this is just one set of tests during a small time window, but to me the tests point out that I either got a lucky (fast) internet window for around 15 minutes or just maybe this new undersea cable is being used by my ISP. Time will tell.

P.S. Just did a Speedtest.net test to Honolulu (middle of Pacific Ocean) at 9:55 and got 1.7Mbits download speed. Seems my speed to international sites is working at pretty much it's true maximum of around 85% of my 2Mbit service when overhead/housekeeping packets are considered. Not bad for a Wednesday morning in Bangkok.

Edited by Pib