Thailand Connected To High-bandwidth Submarine Cable

george

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second test for today. The first being early this morning on some third-party 3BB provider named Net Broadband 512/256 wireless.

This would be around peak sort of time for Thailand and download speed has risen slightly to 544 on first test and 504 on second test. Upload speed has dropped dramatically since this morning's test ay 268 (if I remember). First test just then @ 91 upload, and #2 at 141 Kb/s, apparently.

Still, overall, the Internet response after every mouse-click seems noticably faster for this forum as well as Yahoo! for the emails. If there's any coincidence, that might be permanent, then it is a welcome relief after the last week of seemingly sub 33K fialup type ADSL responses and enough time to go to the fridge for another Oishi between mouse clicks.

Now, if you are not at least going to exclude the possibility, that YOUR piece of equipment was faulty on ALL four mentioned connections, then who is being... stupid?

You don't want me to answer that question do you> :)

No, I'd rather you answered the other question: has the connection been tested on a computer you haven't tampered with?

I take it you already excluded the possibility, but you forgot to use the scientific method. You know, the scholastic era (also known as Dark Ages) is already over and long gone, it's not enough to have a strong belief to make a valid point anymore.

But go ahead with your ignorant attitude, it'll leave you in that dead end for life. It doesn't really make a difference to me, because my Internet connection works just fine.

Now, if you are not at least going to exclude the possibility, that YOUR piece of equipment was faulty on ALL four mentioned connections, then who is being... stupid?

You don't want me to answer that question do you> :)

No, I'd rather you answered the other question: has the connection been tested on a computer you haven't tampered with?

I take it you already excluded the possibility, but you forgot to use the scientific method. You know, the scholastic era (also known as Dark Ages) is already over and long gone, it's not enough to have a strong belief to make a valid point anymore.

But go ahead with your ignorant attitude, it'll leave you in that dead end for life. It doesn't really make a difference to me, because my Internet connection works just fine.

Well I will tell you a secret to finish this argument,by the way I am sure you deserve a job at the call center here in Thailand.

I had the engineers from TOT and later True at my place countless times.They had their test equipement connected to my internal line.Changed the line inside and outside my house,changed the connection box outside,changed modems several times etc. etc..Then each time after testing everything for a period of time they admitted that the problem was NOT WITH ME but that they would solve it soon.Then I knew already that they would not return anymore but that after a few months another team would show up doing the same tests with the same result and so went on for years.I have once posted a modemlog of mine in the internet forum showing that I got disconnected at a ratio of about 120 times a day.

Then came true,with new line and modem and it started very good but after some time,when they had oversold the connection they provided,thew same problem started.Same procedure with the technicians.I even received an email from them on 11 November that they would solve the problem at the latest by 18 November and that they would compensate me for problems they had caused.

That was the last I have heard or seen from them.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 7714 kbps (964.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 882 kbps (182.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 82 ms

17. december 2009 00:02:25

Not bad actually (Naklua, North Pattaya via TRUE)

This has been mentioned several times by several people but continually gets ignored: Your numbers are meaningless without also listing the speed you pay for and the location of the server you are testing to. Listing your ISP and location is also helpful. (Which you did)

Hey, please don't get too excited!

We are talking, here, about Thailand - Not The States, not Europe, not Australasia, not even South Africa, but Thailand!

So, you can expect a guy with a red flag to turn up and insist upon walking in front of you, chanting "speed kills" - until, of course, you pay him to get off of the road!

:)

Oh may be this was part of the cause of Monday's internet outrage. CAT did something to the IIG, may be this is it.

It's the normal mode of operation in this country. You test any change on the live network.

No changes on TOT, 320ms and 1.4Mbit to San Francisco. On a 3Mbit line. This is not too bad, but same as it has been for many months.

Edited by nikster

Okay, an unscientific comparison on my part shows nothing significant has occurred in my download/upload speeds since yesterday when allegedly the new link was activated, unless it was activated prior to 0245 yesterday:

post-33251-1261020095_thumb.png

It does not matter what cable yo are hooked to if the infrastructure within Thailnad is outdated. Many of the phone lines old and new are not able to carry all the data of today's internet. I have had many people who are in the telecom business from overseas say Thiland is running on very old wire. Remember the Thai way - take the money first. Sell the "high speed" and if you read the fine print the high speed is only within Thailand. All the tech people tell you to check speed with adsl Thailnad and as ling as it gives you ghigh numbers they say your internet is "good:m nevermind that overseas connnectoin ALWAYS times out. Adsl Thiland loops back to itself to give the illusion that you are gettig good service. TIT.

<br /><font size="4">It does not matter what cable yo are hooked to if the infrastructure within Thailnad is outdated. Many of the phone lines old and new are not able to carry all the data of today's internet. I have had many people who are in the telecom business from overseas say Thiland is running on very old wire. Remember the Thai way - take the money first. Sell the "high speed" and if you read the fine print the high speed is only within Thailand. All the tech people tell you to check speed with adsl Thailnad and as ling as it gives you ghigh numbers they say your internet is "good:m nevermind that overseas connnectoin ALWAYS times out. Adsl Thiland loops back to itself to give the illusion that you are gettig good service. TIT.</font><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Couldn't agree with you more, Thailand is still in the dark ages with its out of date infrastructure: ie. using copper cabling for phone/internet lines that will never cope with today's modern digital internet systems. Unless you are lucky enough to live around the Bangkok area or major cities, you will not have fibre optic cabling, which is a basic requirement for the internet systems of the modern world. Sadly nobody in Thailand is willing or able to invest billions of baht that is required to update the whole country, so if you are in the privileged areas of Thailand it will improve but only when the authorities allow it. In any case hang on to what you've got, because next year when the European countries (UK & France in particular) clamp down on P2P sharing, the number of filesharers will diminish with the impending threat of fines or closure of their internet lines. Shame cos the internet was for the people not governments who don't like what goes down.

Oh right now Thailand is 60th in the world for d/l ( average speed 3.39mbps) and 61st for u/l (average speed 0.75 mbps), even bloody Lithuania gets 13.25 no disrespect meant!!!!

As I have pointed out before, and George also have hinted about. The big problem is not the crappy copper cables, or not enough bandwidth. The huge problem is something that is going on in Thailand. Its called MICT.

I did this ping right now to a server in Norway, through VPN:

C:\Users\morten>ping xxxxxxxx

Pinging bys0d5e003 [10.40.27.27] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from xxxxxxxx: bytes=32 time=278ms TTL=126

Reply from xxxxxxxx: bytes=32 time=278ms TTL=126

Reply from xxxxxxxx: bytes=32 time=285ms TTL=126

Reply from xxxxxxxx: bytes=32 time=281ms TTL=126

Ping statistics for xxxxxxxx

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 278ms, Maximum = 285ms, Average = 280ms

280ms is pretty good i think. Then I do a trace:

C:\Users\morten>tracert xxxxxxx

Tracing route to xxxxxxxxxx [xxx.xx.xxx.xx]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.100.1

2 * 18 ms 16 ms ppp-58-8-251-1.revip2.asianet.co.th [58.8.251.1]

3 18 ms 21 ms 17 ms ppp-210-86-189-72.revip.asianet.co.th [210.86.189.72]

4 21 ms 18 ms 18 ms 10.169.72.41

5 32 ms 24 ms 19 ms 58-97-4-42.static.asianet.co.th [58.97.4.42]

6 19 ms 20 ms 19 ms 119-46-78-73.static.asianet.co.th [119.46.78.73]

7 19 ms 18 ms 19 ms 61-91-210-50.static.asianet.co.th [61.91.210.50]

8 19 ms 22 ms 20 ms 203-144-144-28.static.asianet.co.th [203.144.144.28]

9 19 ms 19 ms 20 ms 61-91-210-5.static.asianet.co.th [61.91.210.5]

10 21 ms 19 ms 19 ms TIG-Net28-157.trueinternetgateway.com [122.144.28.157]

11 255 ms 259 ms 256 ms sg-icr-anc2-26-214.trueinternetgateway.com [122.144.26.214]

12 245 ms 246 ms 243 ms tig-net26-94.trueinternetgateway.com [122.144.26.94]

13 239 ms 240 ms 240 ms ge-2-2-9-0.lon12.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.67.153]

14 235 ms 237 ms 234 ms 213.200.77.234

15 254 ms 256 ms 264 ms VENTELO-NORGE-AS-Oslo.TenGigabitEthernet8-3.ar1.OSL2.gblx.net [64.211.83.14]

16 255 ms 254 ms 255 ms c10g-ge-7-1-0.cr1.xa19.no.catchbone.net [193.75.1.73]

17 258 ms 258 ms 257 ms c10g-ge-7-1-0.cr1.fn3.no.catchbone.net [193.75.3.150]

18 279 ms 278 ms 278 ms c10g-xe-5-3-0.br1.osls.no.catchbone.net [193.75.3.110]

19 260 ms 261 ms 260 ms xxxxxxxx

20 277 ms 275 ms 276 ms xxxxxxxx

Trace complete.

From hop 10 to 11, the PING increases with 240ms!!! Without this lag, my total ping speed would be around 40ms, not 280ms. George told that this hop was from BKK to Singapore.

Of course download speeds also count, but without this huge lag, the online experience would be totally different..

It does not matter what cable yo are hooked to if the infrastructure within Thailnad is outdated. Many of the phone lines old and new are not able to carry all the data of today's internet. I have had many people who are in the telecom business from overseas say Thiland is running on very old wire. Remember the Thai way - take the money first. Sell the "high speed" and if you read the fine print the high speed is only within Thailand. All the tech people tell you to check speed with adsl Thailnad and as ling as it gives you ghigh numbers they say your internet is "good:m nevermind that overseas connnectoin ALWAYS times out. Adsl Thiland loops back to itself to give the illusion that you are gettig good service. TIT.

It should be criminal to advertise "internet speeds of XMbps" if it's only in Thailand. That's not the internet, that's the intranet. I never consider using a server in Bangkok or even Thaivisa's speed test server in Singapore as a reflection of what "internet" speeds I am getting, as I think most internet users in Thailand have already figured out. Best to use servers on the west coast of America as that is where the largest numbers of servers are located, as well as Google and Yahoo!.

Well I am happy. I do not know if the new cable has anything to do with it, but my speed is now finally back to were it was when I first came here in 1999.

You see in 1999 over my dial up I could listen to a radiostation from the Netherlands without any hiccups. In the years that followed till now it became virtually impossible to have a continues stream. I still tried. And this week it seems all of a sudden perfect! No more hiccups since this week :) I could even finally watch tv from the Netherlands with barely any hiccups. So it seems things are moving ahead.

I have 5 mbps from True in BKK

W

My speed test through San Fransisco is pretty much the same as it always is i.e. 1910 down & 292 up, using TOT's 3Mbs package (Platinum Cyber). Looking at the Phuket Internet Speed Reporting website the results from others do not indicate any dramatic change. We can expect an update at Woody's computer clinic this Sunday.

Hmmm. Just logged my fastest times to the San Francisco server.

655964522.png

Then one of my slowest to San Jose, Ca.

655968510.png

And line quality from pingtest.net to San Francisco about the same as always. C's and D's, just like my college days.

5859549.png

Using Maxnet 4mb/1mb Premier in Kata/Chalong, Phuket.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

not much else to say about this 4meg from ToT

657197201.png

Ouch. And that's just to Singapore! Send a motorbike taxi would be quicker.

Maxnet 4mb premier to Singapore:

657286688.png

Then to San Francisco:

657288466.png

Just got 4032mbps to SF on speakeasy. That's the fastest speed I have ever gotten. Hmmm, maybe something to this new cable.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

absolute great for thailand after spending millions for bangkok but as mentioned forget about the rest of thai. Oh by the way i read a thread that thailand was banning certain farang sites - was this before or after they commissioned there multi million dollar link to the world :D thought they may encourage users to pay for it :D:)