Teaching Waiver Letter

Still not getting any joy from the "other" forum about teaching. I would like to know if anyone has applied for a second waiver letter from the Teachers Council recently.

Interested in the process of obtaining one on the grounds of having no qualifications and the school not having much money( I live out in the sticks).

Have been teaching for over 10 years here now and my original waiver expires on 31st March. I have been told that one must attend the Culture Courses first.???

What documents must one send to the TCT and is it true that we must do it now due to huge backlogs at the TCT.

Thanks for and info you may have particularly personal experiences.

Take a look at the pinned topic at the top of the forum. There is one about Thai Teacher's License and Cultural Training Course. You should be able to get the waiver, but I think you may have to take the training first.

It is my understanding that the culture course has to be completed before signing up for the TLT. The culture course seems to be offered frequently enough while the TLT's are not. I took it last year and it was a breeze, and surprisingly informative!

Have your school write a letter to the TC and try to get a second waiver, which should not be that difficult since the "cart has been put wayyyy before the horse" as far as these tests are concerned. This is what i may ultimately have to do since my waiver is due to expire by the end of my contract which is in April.

There is talk of the tests taking place in March in KK, with registration happening in January, but this has not been 100% confirmed. The problem is that the turn around time for results takes 2 months (after the start of term one 2010), so a waiver might be your only option at this point (my only option too)

Good luck!

I have some information that you will like. I just went through this 3 weeks ago. Remember it varies from school to school, i.e. private, government, ect. I work for a private school so this is my experience. The school copied the usual school ownership documents, the owner of the school wrote a brief letter stating that if he didn't have me teaching he probably wouldn't be able to have a native speaker teaching the students. He mailed them to the office in BKK and a waiver in my name was sent by return mail 9 days later. Took it to the labor department and they issued a work permit 5 days later. I didn't go to any class, I didn't even go to BKK to present the request for the waiver.

Good Luck