Driving South From Chiang Ma,i Highway 11 Then Highway 1?

Gladiator

For the interest of anyone driving South to Lampang and then onwards on Highway 1.

The stretch of road between Lampang - Tak - Kampaeng Phet - Nakhon Sawon has been in pertty poor condition, in both directions, for some time. There are now extensive roadworks, but until they are completed - you may wish to follow Highway 11 down from Lampang to Utteridit and Pitsanilok and then re-join Highway 1 just past Chai Nat.

Highway 11 is only single-lane for a while after Lampang, but its still a good trade-off.

Great advice and a good post.

Unfortunatley for me I ruined a tyre the last time I made that trip to BK using the route you indicated :)

I really could not beleive just how bad the road was.

Even the big wheelers were using the outside lane as the inside one was just too darned damaged.

It really is a good idea to avoid it

Edited by ThaiPauly

Great advice and a good post.

Unfortunatley for me I ruined a tyre the last time I made that trip to BK using the route you indicated :)

I really could not beleive just how bad the road was.

Even the big wheelers were using the outside lane as the inside one was just too darned damaged.

It really is a good idea to avoid it

Empathy! A few weeks ago my vehicle sustained damaged to the inside of one of the front wheels. Considering that it is an off-road pick-up, and I don't 'hammer' it when driving, a costly exercise.

amazing how i just thought of this and wrote a whole new thread on the motoring forum and this was the information i needed. thank you OP. and thanks to GotLost for pointing me to this thread.

edit: Gladiator, the last time i took a drive down there ( two rounds), my front shocks and all four tyres both got hit pretty bad. a change needed but after i complete this next trip.

i reckon it would even hit a pickup truck (4x4) bad.

Edited by tigerbeer

Pretty poor condition is an understatement, one needs to use extreme caution driving this road, especially at night.

There are kilometers of bitumen missing, it's patchy and has deep ruts, I saw one car hit a rut and it was almost overturned. As someone said the trucks are using the outer lane, at night they don't all have rear lights, so it's a case of driver beware.

does the highway 11 take a lot more time than Highway 1 though? Looked at the map and it does seem like a longer route. Anyone with news on how far the road construction has been going recently? I would really prefer to take highway 1 but if the roads are still very bad, then Highway 11 is the way to do it. Planning a drive x'mas day.

does the highway 11 take a lot more time than Highway 1 though? Looked at the map and it does seem like a longer route. Anyone with news on how far the road construction has been going recently? I would really prefer to take highway 1 but if the roads are still very bad, then Highway 11 is the way to do it. Planning a drive x'mas day.

I know highway 11 north of 225 was an excellent road but its been a couple of years since I have been on that part. Another thought is to take Highway 117 south out of Phitsanulok to Nakhon Sawan excellent divided road I drove this in July. Time deference, not enough to worry.

I know highway 11 north of 225 was an excellent road but its been a couple of years since I have been on that part. Another thought is to take Highway 117 south out of Phitsanulok to Nakhon Sawan excellent divided road I drove this in July. Time deference, not enough to worry.

i just checked out the map and highway 117 looks like an excellent choice from Phutsanulok. thanks gotlost.

Update to driving South from Chiang Mai, highway 11 to points South as of Monday 21 Dec '09..........

Chiang Mai to Lampang........no problems........Lampang to Den Chai over the mountain 2 lane highway slow going no change until 50 K South a 5 kilometer stretch construction both lanes smooth base in place but sloppy as water is used to hold dust. Short section one way with flag men using walkie-talkies. Uttaradit to Phitsanulok good mostly divided highway.

Strongly recommend highway 117 Phitsanulok to Nakhon Sawan joining highway 1/32 South to Bangkok. Good, mostly divided highway.

South of Phitsanulok on highway 11 about 100 kilometers there is a 10 K length of broken concrete being repaved with most laying open with liquid asphalt/tack coat exposed over the full width. No choice but to drive over it. No problem if you are driving a black car.

Return trip Nakhon Sawan to Chiang Mai, Hwys 117 and 11.......Sunday 9 AM to 3 PM.....6 hours with two 15" stops.

As always drive carefully as though your life depends on it.......Jolly Roger

Update to driving South from Chiang Mai, highway 11 to points South as of Monday 21 Dec '09..........

Chiang Mai to Lampang........no problems........Lampang to Den Chai over the mountain 2 lane highway slow going no change until 50 K South a 5 kilometer stretch construction both lanes smooth base in place but sloppy as water is used to hold dust. Short section one way with flag men using walkie-talkies. Uttaradit to Phitsanulok good mostly divided highway.

Strongly recommend highway 117 Phitsanulok to Nakhon Sawan joining highway 1/32 South to Bangkok. Good, mostly divided highway.

South of Phitsanulok on highway 11 about 100 kilometers there is a 10 K length of broken concrete being repaved with most laying open with liquid asphalt/tack coat exposed over the full width. No choice but to drive over it. No problem if you are driving a black car.

Return trip Nakhon Sawan to Chiang Mai, Hwys 117 and 11.......Sunday 9 AM to 3 PM.....6 hours with two 15" stops.

As always drive carefully as though your life depends on it.......Jolly Roger

Good driving time and great first post. No road kill? :)

Drove down and back up the last couple of days. Took highway 11 from Chiangmai-Lampang-Denchai-Uttradit-Phitsanulok-Nakon Sawan-Bangkok.

Lampang-Denchai: massive construction going on the mountains. It takes a long time to drive that stretch. Very tiring. Most parts are being widened to two lanes but this construction would probably take at least 6 months to complete.

Highway 117 mostly good between Phitsanulok and Nakon Sawan. Lots of road patches nearer to Nakon Sawan. The northern part of the highway is however top class.

It took me close to 9 hours southbound with 4 stops for NGV fueling and 9 and half hours northbound. For those of you who run your cars on NGV, there are fueling stations at Lampang, Uttradit, Phitsanulok, Nakon Sawan.

The highway 11 route puts less stress on your tyres and shocks but I think its too long of a route. Scenic from Uttradit to Lampang and lots of mountain driving.

I really hope the route from Tak to Kampheng Phet on Highway 1 is fixed up soon cause that seems to more faster and sensible. Being the only driver, the Highway 11 route is too much to handle for me.

TB..

• 3 weeks later...
I will also be taking that journey in the beginning of January so will let you know what its like after I've made it to Khao Lak!!

We left on Thursday 7th January. CM to Tak was fine. From Tak farther south on Hwy 1 to Nakhon Sawan, there was some very uneven (to say the least) roads, but nothing for too long that would make me divert another way. Hwy 32 to Bangkok, absolutely fine...

• 1 month later...

I was over this stretch of road last night. No problem. Yes they are doing construction so take your time and you will be OK. They have made major improvements on Highway 11 over the past two years and are continuing these improvements. Oh yes No smog from Lamphun onwards only stars.