Visitor Visas And Schengen Visas?

I am giving a big party in February 2010 for my son and daughter-in-law, to celebrate her recent return to UK after a successful settlement visa application, and to celebrate their second Wedding Anniversary (the first was spent apart because of visa problems and delays).

To my delight, 5 or 6 members of her family, and one of their friends, will travel from Bangkok to join us, and will apply for visitor visas.

One of the things they would like to do while here is visit France for a couple of days. I have learned on another thread that they will all need Schengen Visas, including my daughter-in-law.

What I need advice on is the order in which they should do things. I believe the visitor visa lasts 6 months, so as long as it covers February they can start the applications soon. When they have their visitor visas, is that the time to apply for Schengen Visas, and can they do that FROM BANGKOK well before travelling? If so, I can then calmly book ferry and French hotel in advance.

If they have to ARRIVE IN UK before being allowed to apply for Schengen Visas, we will have to go into panic mode, wondering how long it will take to get the visas, and when to book ferry and hotel, and if we can we get this French trip in before they have to return home.

Does anyone know if they can apply from Bangkok for a French Schengen Visa? It would be so much easier if they could have all their paperwork done before arriving in UK for their 10 - 14 day special holiday.

I understand now that being married to a UK citizen means the Schengen Visa is free for my daughter-in-law; I am assuming that her family, all Thai citizens, will have to pay for theirs.

First of all the applicants could ask UK Visas to postdate the visa so it's valid from the intended date of travel, but for a visit in February now is not too early.

To travel to France the Schengen Visa needs to be applied for in the country of residence, so they should apply in Bangkok.

You will see that they need to provide to the French authorities details of the trip, that being confirmed travel and accommodation understand they check. They also need to provide proof of medical cover.

I personally would obtain the UK Visa first before applying for the Schengen Visa.

Yes I think you are correct that your daughter in laws Schengen Visa would be free as she is married to a, non French, EU National.

You might find these links of use.

http://www.ambafrance-th.org/spip.php?article1502

http://www.ambafrance-th.org/IMG/File/CS-conjoint-UE.pdf

http://www.ambafrance-th.org/IMG/File/CS-t...ue-b%282%29.pdf

You will first need to get there uk visa and there passports returned they will then need to go in person and apply at the french embassy in Bangkok for a schengen visa. They are normally granted within 2 weeks but can take 2 months. very unlikely.

They will also need to supply documents to support there visa application, such as intinery, return flight details ( do not book until visa granted), funds available, reasons to return home such as letter from employer.....etc etc

Hope that helps

Hey

All this is correct apart the fact that they DO NOT have to apply in person (although it is preferred). The only restriction is that the applicant (or the representative) cannot be accompanied to apply for the visa

If I were the applicant I would make an appointment (or at least check the available dates on the Consular's website) as there is sometimes a queue

But make sure you will be able to gather all required documents in time for the appointment

It might be wise to go through a travel agency based in the UK to organise a trip. This way all aspects of the trip will be covered as they are supposed to leave and all come back at the same time

Obviously everyone has to apply (and obtain) for the UK's visa before even thinking about the Schenghen

Edited by alyx

Thank you very much to people who have taken the trouble to advise me.

From your replies it appears to be either possible or essential to apply for the Schengen Visas in Bangkok, either at the same time as applying for the Visitor Visas, or as soon as they have the Visitor Visas.

I am happy with that, as there is clearly nothing I can be expected to do towards this myself, apart from supplying party invitations and sponsor letters as required.

And, when they let me know they have all their Visitor/Schengen Visas, I can quickly arrange a modest overnight in Boulogne in the usual way (something I often do for friends and family at a known friendly hotel).

Let's hope it is as simple as it sounds. I am about to suggest they start working on their Visitor Visas asap, followed up by the Schengen ones, in time for mid-February.

• 1 month later...
Thank you very much to people who have taken the trouble to advise me.

From your replies it appears to be either possible or essential to apply for the Schengen Visas in Bangkok, either at the same time as applying for the Visitor Visas, or as soon as they have the Visitor Visas.

I am happy with that, as there is clearly nothing I can be expected to do towards this myself, apart from supplying party invitations and sponsor letters as required.

And, when they let me know they have all their Visitor/Schengen Visas, I can quickly arrange a modest overnight in Boulogne in the usual way (something I often do for friends and family at a known friendly hotel).

Let's hope it is as simple as it sounds. I am about to suggest they start working on their Visitor Visas asap, followed up by the Schengen ones, in time for mid-February.

Any update on how things went, did they get schengen visas. My GF is planning on applying at the french embassey later this year after hopfully getting a VV for the UK.

The only issue i see having a problem with is not having any travel documents as we are only planning on a day trip any such tickets etc would not be booked until nearer the date as i live close to the ports and eurostar terminal.

How much are the schengen visas and what are the waiting times.