What Documents Does A Sponsor Need To Supply For Schengen Visa To Spain

Hi there i am sponsoring my thai girlfriend to come to spain.

We will be applying for a schengen visitor visa for her in Bangkok.

I am from the uk but i live in spain i have residency here but only lease a property, i have enough funds to provide everything for her. we have know each other for 16 months and i have visited her on 5 occasions.

I would like to know what documents i will need to provide to the embassy as her sponsor?

Many thanks

The normal requirement would be for a letter from your local Ajuntamiento (can't remember now what the letter is called, but basically states that you're registered there), and a 'notarised' letter stating that you will be fully responsible for her whilst she visits. Look at the Spanish Embassy website for Thailand, I'm sure you'll get all of the information there.

The normal requirement would be for a letter from your local Ajuntamiento (can't remember now what the letter is called, but basically states that you're registered there), and a 'notarised' letter stating that you will be fully responsible for her whilst she visits. Look at the Spanish Embassy website for Thailand, I'm sure you'll get all of the information there.

Where would i go to get this "notrised" letter. and do you know what exactly that is.

Also i cannot find a website for the spanish embassy in Bangkok only an address.

Do you know the website Address if they have one?

Just a little more information for you:

1. TOURIST VISA

Documents to be presented:

- 4 Application forms duly and fully completed. Forms that are not fully completed will not be accepted.

- A valid passport (original with a photocopy). The passport must be valid for at least three months after completion of the journey.

- Four recent photographs (not more than 6 months old). Documents attesting that the applicant has enough economic means to finance the trip: work certificate, bank certificate or statement, etc. It is very important to understand that the applicant must have his/her own financial means, which must be real and lasting, i.e. bank accounts opened recently or the economic standing of the inviting person won't be accepted as proof of financial support.

- Supporting documents regarding the schedule of the journey and means of transportation to and fro: a round trip ticket, hotel reservation.

- Travel insurance for up to 30,000 euros, covering medical expenses during the stay in Spain and, if necessary, repatriation to Thailand.

- In case the applicant has a host in Spain, the latter should make available the following: - Supporting documents regarding the means of subsistence and accommodation. The invitation must be availed by a legal document "Acta Notarial" specifically stating that the host will be responsible for all the expenses incurred by his/her guest during his/her stay in the Schengen territory, and that the visitor will abide by the terms and conditions of the visa.

- Documents attesting to the good financial standing to be able to assume all economic responsibilities for the expenses of his/her guest.

- In case that the host is not a Spanish citizen, he/she must present a document justifying his/her residence in Spain, or proof of a direct relationship with Spain.

- Application fee is 1,300 baht.

Where would i go to get this "notrised" letter. and do you know what exactly that is.

Also i cannot find a website for the spanish embassy in Bangkok only an address.

Do you know the website Address if they have one?

Out of interest, I tried to get the website address for the Embassy in BKK, without success as the link continually fails. If you're living in Spain, best to get a 'Guestor' to complete the letter, then go to your local Notaria (your Guestor will be able to advise where they are). Incidentally, proof of sufficient funds of your girlfriend is possibly easiest solved by purchasing traveller's cheques, and submitting the receipt for payment for these (Amex etc). Ordinary travel insurance, covering medical expenses up to 30,000 Euros is easily obtained from any of the main players (AIG etc). The whole process can take quite some time.

Thanks that helps.

Do you know if the application form needs to be in Spanish?

I tried to get an acta notaria already but was told that i need to get a letter from the community stating how many people could live in my house. This seemed very odd to me and i do not how how i would go about getting my comunity to write this letter..Without this i was told i could not get an acta Notaria.

Do you think that if i write a formal letter of sponsorship to the embassy along with an ajuntamiento from the town hall that this would be sufficient?

Thanks that helps.

Do you know if the application form needs to be in Spanish?

I tried to get an acta notaria already but was told that i need to get a letter from the community stating how many people could live in my house. This seemed very odd to me and i do not how how i would go about getting my comunity to write this letter..Without this i was told i could not get an acta Notaria.

Do you think that if i write a formal letter of sponsorship to the embassy along with an ajuntamiento from the town hall that this would be sufficient?

Sincerely think that the best thing would be for you to get a Gestor to do all of the leg work for you. All the documents need to be in Spanish, with the 'Letter of Invitation' (where you declare that you will be full responsible for your guest for the duration of her stay) needs to be 'notarised' (Notoria). Your local town hall (Ajuntamiento) should be able to issue you with the document that states your 'Residencia', i.e. you are on the local electoral roll, and pay your rates/water etc. Remember that it's your girlfriend that will have to go in person to the Spanish Embassy in Bangkok (appointment necessary), and you need to get all of the paperwork to them I would suggest a minimum of 2 weeks before she's due to travel. Where are you in Spain?

I already have recidencia in spain so that is not a problem.

Good idea about the travellers cheques.

I will be in Bangkok in January with my girlfriend and we will both be going to the Spanish embassy to get the visa for her to visit me in June. :)

I live in Estepona near to Marbella.

I take it you used to live here?

most important thing will be, that your gf can show incentives for her to return to thailand, like a well paying, respected job.

well she lives in a little vilage near Nakonrachansima and only works part time as she looks after her son and parents so the good job part is out of the window but she does have a son.

Do you think it would be good to take copies of his birth certificate to prove this?

I already have recidencia in spain so that is not a problem.

Good idea about the travellers cheques.

I will be in Bangkok in January with my girlfriend and we will both be going to the Spanish embassy to get the visa for her to visit me in June. :)

I live in Estepona near to Marbella.

I take it you used to live here?

Until moving to Thailand 3 years ago, I lived in a small village near Valencia for 10 years. About 5 years ago I went through the same grief as you bringing a long term Russian girlfriend to Spain. What a nightmare! But in the end it worked out. The hardest bit was she had to fly 9 hours from Sakhalin (north of Japan) to Moscow for her Spanish Embassy interview, after which she was booked on a flight from Moscow later that day. I was waiting for her that night at Barajas in Madrid, not knowing if she was going to arrive or not (she did). That's why Thailand is so popular amongst Russians, they get a 30 day visa on arrival, same as many other countries.

most important thing will be, that your gf can show incentives for her to return to thailand, like a well paying, respected job.

well she lives in a little vilage near Nakonrachansima and only works part time as she looks after her son and parents so the good job part is out of the window but she does have a son.

Do you think it would be good to take copies of his birth certificate to prove this?

Probably best to get the advice from the Spanish Embassy when you go there in January. You'll have plenty of time to get the documentation sorted out before June. Probably the most important thing is the return air ticket! If she's taking holidays from her part time job, she will need a letter from her employer stating that she has worked for them for XX amount of time, and she is on holiday etc etc.

I used to visit a town called Calpe near Valencia, very nice.

Nightmare isnt the word for getting this visa, They make sponsoring sound easy but the more you look the more you need to provide.

It seems like they dont want anyone apart from Europeans to visit there country.

Things you do for love aye, ha ha

The thing with the airticket is that many site contradict each other,

They say you need a confirmed return airfare but then tell you not to purchase one untill You have recieved the visa.

I have found a flight already and have printed off the intinary but i have not booked it or payed as yet. From your experience should i get a fully paid return ticket to supply with the application?

The thing with the airticket is that many site contradict each other,

They say you need a confirmed return airfare but then tell you not to purchase one untill You have recieved the visa.

I have found a flight already and have printed off the intinary but i have not booked it or payed as yet. From your experience should i get a fully paid return ticket to supply with the application?

In my case, she bought the air ticket in advance in any case, so it wasn't an issue. I agree on the disparity of Spain (and the UK for that matter) with the contradiction difficulty in entry for legitimate visitors, and the hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants that both countries have. To be fair though, the same rules apply to all countries participating in the Schengen visa.

Most Bkk travel agents will reserve a flight without taking payment and presumably you can get some kind of print out as confirmation - you can always cancel it and then book online if you get the visa.

Didn't realise Spain was so difficult on the VV, if the pound recovers a bit more against the euro I might do a bit of property hunting there next year.

I have now tried to get the 2actua notaria" or carta de invitacion from the town hall but without a copy of her passport this cannot be done and we will only be getting her passport the day before we apply for the schengen visa so it looks like i will just have to write a letter of invitation with all other documents and hope that gets accepted and if not we will have to apply again at a later date.

Thanks for all your help