Bank Books Are Mandatory ?

I am going to get an extension to my retirement visa, I have the money required in the Bank, problem is I have left them in my other house 600 Kms away.

I fear it means a trip to go get them, my visa is up on the 5th of January, and I'd like to do the extension before the new year.

I'm pretty sure they will want copies of the bankbooks, I was thinking about going to the bank here in Pattaya and telling them I have lost them, they would issue new ones but then it would not show that the money has been there for over 3 months, it would just show the ammount in both accounts, the record of time being in the account would be gone.

Any ideas ?

When you update bankbooks it will show a history. I am also sure that the staff of the bank can do that for you too in the form of a statement. That is what happened when I lost my bank book, but you will require a police form.

Problem is the updates only go back to the last time the book was updated, then again, I haven't updated for months, certainly over 3 months so it may well work.

One is savings account and one is fixed deposit.

Maybe a statement from the bank will do instead of the books ?

I don't really want to report them lost at the police station when they are not lost.

Food for thought though, cheers AP.

You will need to find out what, if anything, you can get. Just getting a new book in your home bank requires Sherwood Forest be cut down for paper. And that is having a passport and passbook that they can check the signatures in. Once you find out what you can get you will have to see what Immigration will accept.

I seriously doubt whether you can get copy books from a different branch to the branch you have the account with.

They wont even write a letter stating the amount for a different branch even though they can see on the computer that you have the money in there.

Its not like in the UK.

I reckon you have got a long trek home mate.

HL :)

I don't know about every bank, but my bank, Kasikorn, can print out a full detailed listing of every transaction on my account for a specified period.

I used to ask them to do this every time I went to have my visa renewed because the bank books do not show the details of every transaction if you have not up dated the books for some time. They seem to accumulate them into bulk entries which will cover many transactions.

So the bank does a "ledger print" of my account and then stamps it and signs it as a genuine document, and then attaches it to the standard letter they issue.

Please do not assume every bank does the same, and also do not assume that this is guaranteed to solve your problem as TIT, and I would hate to learn that you had your visa rerejected. But it had always worked for me.

Your decision...

I was going to suggest Air Asia if the bank can't do the statement, but then I remembered your one of 'those' fortuna drivers, so driving would probably be your quickest option, if you need to return to the mansion in the hills :D .

Anyway, minor problem by the sounds of things, perhaps in the future you will be more careful & take all the required documents with you :) . I was going to say Som Nom Na, but didnt want to come accross as harsh, especially considering how compassionate you are when you post :D

Please do not assume every bank does the same, and also do not assume that this is guaranteed to solve your problem as TIT, and I would hate to learn that you had your visa rerejected. But it had always worked for me.

Your decision...

Thanks Mobi,, I'm gonna go to the Immigration office in Jomtien tomorrow and ask them if this would be acceptable, if they say yes, then I'll go to Bangkok Bank and see what they can do.

It's the main Branch of Bangkok Bank on the second road, I know they deal with Farangs all the time so I'm sure they will help me out if it's acceptable to Immigration, thanks for the input, I'll post how I got on,

Cheers.

I was going to suggest Air Asia if the bank can't do the statement, but then I remembered your one of 'those' fortuna drivers, so driving would probably be your quickest option, if you need to return to the mansion in the hills :D .

6 Hrs 42 Minutes is my record, from the mansion to Carrefour car park in Pattaya, 585 Kms. :)

Your decision...

Thanks Mobi,, I'm gonna go to the Immigration office in Jomtien tomorrow and ask them if this would be acceptable, if they say yes, then I'll go to Bangkok Bank and see what they can do.

It's the main Branch of Bangkok Bank on the second road, I know they deal with Farangs all the time so I'm sure they will help me out if it's acceptable to Immigration, thanks for the input, I'll post how I got on,

Cheers.

Yes, but I assume that you will tell immigration that you have lost your bank books, and that you will also tell the bank the same thing so that they will give you a new book, along with the ledger printout. I very much doubt whether immigration will accept the print out without a new bank book. They wouldn't be able to "tick their boxes".

If all suggestions are rejected, then the bank books can be 'miraculously' found again up country.

6 Hrs 42 Minutes is my record, from the mansion to Carrefour car park in Pattaya, 585 Kms. :)

87.3km/h, impressive, especially when one considers the traffic as one nears the pattaya area.

Can you please forward me a autographed picture of the fortuna :D

You could have someone here in Loei sent the stuff EMS to Pattaya, that would take a couple of days, OR you can have a nice drive.

Hi Gary,

Alien went last night on the bus, 10 hours, coming back tomorrow, I'll be up for the new year, hope you're not too cold up there !

Lets have a few beers sometime.

Cheers.

I have only been asked to show copies of the bank book and the letter from the bank showing i have the 800,000 in it. Am sure any branch would be able to privde that for you and u have peknty of time to go home anyway of not.

Last time my bank book only showed a months entries as it was new and no questions asked ( this is for Phuket) and as we ALL KNOW each immigration is a law unto itself.

You could have someone here in Loei sent the stuff EMS to Pattaya, that would take a couple of days, OR you can have a nice drive.

Hi Gary,

Alien went last night on the bus, 10 hours, coming back tomorrow, I'll be up for the new year, hope you're not too cold up there !

Lets have a few beers sometime.

Cheers.

We seem to regularly miss each other up here. The watering hole on 201 south of Nong Hin looks to be permanently closed down. It is probably more likely to meet up in Pattaya. :)