First Time In 7 Years

N47HAN

Loads of Thai students at Nottingham Uni....

Gun capital of the UK...

City centre good fun out for getting plastered..

Oldest pub in UK built into the side of the castle wall...selling warm beer

Thats about it...

Gun capital of the UK...

Thats about it...

mmm , thats why its been 7 years :)

must be some places ?

Yeah, i remember now,, i was there 2 chrimbos ago....

Me and my mate went for a Thai meal in the city centre.... £15 each for food we've never seen in Thailand... :)

We then wanted to carry on drinking after mid night but didn't want to queue at the big disco.... so we went to the only pub that was open...it was only a gay pub.... and no katoeys insight :D more like the blue oyster :D

Enjoy your time...i was just passing through for 4 days to see my mate ..... haven't been back since :D

Gun capital of the UK...

Thats about it...

Nonsense. Nottingham had some rough publicity a few years ago but is back to being easily within the top 3 cities in the country.

The new market square has won awards galore, the tram is ace, there are loads of cool and unusual eating and drinking options. It is very interesting architectually, it's compact and clean and green. The Bell and the Saluation both dispute the Trip's 'world oldest pub' boast, and none sell "warm" beer - are you an Australian?

Birds from Bulwell are still best avoided, however.

Gun capital of the UK...

Thats about it...

Nonsense. Nottingham had some rough publicity a few years ago but is back to being easily within the top 3 cities in the country.

The new market square has won awards galore, the tram is ace, there are loads of cool and unusual eating and drinking options. It is very interesting architectually, it's compact and clean and green. The Bell and the Saluation both dispute the Trip's 'world oldest pub' boast, and none sell "warm" beer - are you an Australian?

Nope not an Aussie.. English.... so when did you last drink chilled ale that is hand pulled.... :)

Theakstons, old specled hen, bass ale etc all served room temperature not chilled like lager.... that makes it warm on my taste buds....and i enjoy an ale or two...

I am in derby for Xmas first 1 in 5 years 12 miles from notts

And i wish i wasn't its freezing cold and its been snowing everybody's going mad at the shops

buying up trolley loads of food ( i think there is a siege coming )

The cost of everything has gone through the roof .and the people are so rude,

The gold shops are making a small fortune buying peoples gold,

and the supermarkets are full of cheap beer deals,

forgot to mention at the local bank the baht is 47 to the pound

Edited by colino

Colino,

Get up to the Flowerpot, Exeter or The Peacock for some decent beer. If feeling a little "homesick" for Thailand, possibly pop into The Tiger Vaults, as there may be some Thai girls in there,(with boyfriends/husbands), so if you are travelling with the wife/girlfriend there may be someone she can talk Thai with, instead of just your self. The landlord visits Thailand on a regular basis as well.

All the best for the festive season, get yourself down to Pride Park and give a shout for The Rams..................

Colino,

Get up to the Flowerpot, Exeter or The Peacock for some decent beer. If feeling a little "homesick" for Thailand, possibly pop into The Tiger Vaults, as there may be some Thai girls in there,(with boyfriends/husbands), so if you are travelling with the wife/girlfriend there may be someone she can talk Thai with, instead of just your self. The landlord visits Thailand on a regular basis as well.

All the best for the festive season, get yourself down to Pride Park and give a shout for The Rams..................

Thanks micmac

I was in the tiger bar at lunchtime and the beer was nice and cold but packed out

Town was crazy today, I do follow the rams but I dont think i could sit at pride park for 2 hours

its too cold, 5 years in los then back to -2 ,my new best friends are my radiator and gas fire and

electric blanket,,,, happy Xmas to all,,,,,colino

Gun capital of the UK...

Thats about it...

Nope not an Aussie.. English.... so when did you last drink chilled ale that is hand pulled.... :)

Theakstons, old specled hen, bass ale etc all served room temperature not chilled like lager.... that makes it warm on my taste buds....and i enjoy an ale or two...

No, they are served at cellar temperature - a big difference in a cold climate. And if those are your beers of choice then good luck to you.

I am in derby for Xmas first 1 in 5 years 12 miles from notts

And i wish i wasn't its freezing cold and its been snowing everybody's going mad at the shops

buying up trolley loads of food ( i think there is a siege coming )

The cost of everything has gone through the roof .and the people are so rude,

The gold shops are making a small fortune buying peoples gold,

and the supermarkets are full of cheap beer deals,

forgot to mention at the local bank the baht is 47 to the pound

What are you on about? It's christmas, so is bound to be busy and cold. The cost of everything has gone through the roof? England's cheap as chips these days - far, far cheaper than thailand for all essentials. Gold continues to be a good bet in these uncertain times so it's no wonder gold shops are doing good business.

And as for comparing Derby to Nottingham...

I used to live at the corner of Nottingham-, Derby- and Leicester-shires, in a place stuck between the M1, an airport, and a coal-fired power station. Good times in the spring and summer; December was a good time to be away though...

I useta live in Derby an' it ain't no place to be this time of year (or any other for that matter :) )...

best pub for real ale that I found there was the Railway Tavern (freehouse) or some such name just up the road from the rail station...always had Tim Taylor's Landlord available as well as all the Burton on Trent ales, Theakstons, etc., and usually 2-3 types of scrumpy...Derby's only redeeming feature...

^whew...endure, me duck, I wuz shure yew we're gonna come out guns a blazin' again in defense of yer home town... :)

yew wanna know why they ain't got a thai restaurant in Derby?...they ain't figured out how to properly microwave pre-prepared khao pat and tom yung for serving...or that the local Berni Inn can't get it's head around the spelling for inclusion on the menu...(a cow pat?...oh, dear...) :D

No, they are served at cellar temperature - a big difference in a cold climate. And if those are your beers of choice then good luck to you.

Get a grip my friend....

Ale used to be my preferred choice but these days i prefer a super chilled lager like fosters but here in the LoS a chilled leo is just fine but out and about its heineken..

however, in the Hardrock cafe they sell Leo by the bottle but they are small and 150 baht but better value than a small heneiken at 230 baht? cant remember exact price... 18 is my record there....an expensive night....

As for your sweeping statement of England is cheap as chips without any evidence is just a silly throwaway line that smells of a low education..of course i may be wrong..but probably not.. :)

I'm a Mansfield lad myself. I recommend you get the bus or train to Mansfield, Friday or Saturday night go to the pubs round the Market Place and within 10 minutes you'll realise why LOS is so attractive. :)

Alternatively get down to the City Ground this weekend and watch the super Reds(the only thing I really miss here), but wear your thermals!

BTW there is a Thai restaurant in Mansfield-can't remember the name-just off the market-not bad food either.

England's cheap as chips these days - far, far cheaper than thailand for all essentials.

Kronenberg £3.70 cigarettes £6.50 bacon and sausage sandwich £6 (almost fell over at this one) and a cheap hotel was £100 a night.

Covers most of the essentials.......

England's cheap as chips these days - far, far cheaper than thailand for all essentials.

Kronenberg £3.70 cigarettes £6.50 bacon and sausage sandwich £6 (almost fell over at this one) and a cheap hotel was £100 a night.

Don't know about the booze and fags but you're going to the wrong places for the sarnies and hotels. Decent bacon and sausage is about £3 from a roadside greasy spoon and Premier Inns are doing rooms at 29 quid a night.

Get a grip my friend....

Ale used to be my preferred choice but these days i prefer a super chilled lager like fosters but here in the LoS a chilled leo is just fine but out and about its heineken..

however, in the Hardrock cafe they sell Leo by the bottle but they are small and 150 baht but better value than a small heneiken at 230 baht? cant remember exact price... 18 is my record there....an expensive night....

As for your sweeping statement of England is cheap as chips without any evidence is just a silly throwaway line that smells of a low education..of course i may be wrong..but probably not.. :)

:D

So, Einstein, your bitter of choice is Bass.

Your lager of choice is Fosters.

Your Thai beer of choice is Leo.

You drink in the Hardrock Cafe.

:D

Covers most of the essentials.......

I'm thinking of opening a budget hotel that only sells Kronenberg, ciggies and sausage sarnies. When you coming?

^whew...endure, me duck, I wuz shure yew we're gonna come out guns a blazin' again in defense of yer home town... :)

yew wanna know why they ain't got a thai restaurant in Derby?...

We've got three actually :D

I went to the small one halfway up babbington lane a couple of years ago, ordered Tom Kha Gai, expecting a hot spicey Chicken soup. What I got was Chicken in luke warm Coconut milk, a complete lack of Galangal, Kaffir line, lemongrass etc. I was very dissappointed to say the least.

The other one I used to go to was up past the spot at the back of Zanzibar,(used to be a cinema), that was quite good, as was the one opposite Bold lane carpark.

^whew...endure, me duck, I wuz shure yew we're gonna come out guns a blazin' again in defense of yer home town... :D

yew wanna know why they ain't got a thai restaurant in Derby?...

We've got three actually :D

I went to the small one halfway up babbington lane a couple of years ago, ordered Tom Kha Gai, expecting a hot spicey Chicken soup. What I got was Chicken in luke warm Coconut milk, a complete lack of Galangal, Kaffir line, lemongrass etc. I was very dissappointed to say the least.

The one up Babington Lane is a bit strange. They used to do full English fry-up breakfasts at one time :D

I've not been to the Bold Lane one since it was renamed but when it first opened them packed so many customers in you couldn't move your elbows without knocking other people :)

Edited by endure