Shipping Personal Effects - Nearest Port

mcyachty

Hi all,

I am moving to Pattaya from Australia, and want to send a few boxes of stuff. I have done a little research, and figure Pack & Send are the best priced, and seem to provide decent service. $560 AUD for a cubic metre.

They can either ship to Laem Chabang (sorry if mis-spelt) or Bangkok.

Any advice?

See you in January.

you should ask your shipper - which port your personal affects lands.

it will also depend where the Vessel docks which is carrying your stuff, it may be Laem Chabang or up-river into Bangkok.

also your stuff is subject to customs inspection therefore it may be transferred to Ladkrabang station in which you

have to submit your documentation for customs declaration and clearance.

Laem Chabang is the closest (also by far the major port). Thats where my half container went when I moved from Oz to Pattaya. If you have a Thai wife I recommend shipping it in her name- less hassle that way.

Only if his Thai wife has been out of the country for more than 12 months, otherwise she will be hit with as much import duty as him...

Shippers with Non O (retiree visa), Non O-A one year visa issued by immigration in Thailand (not from Thai Embassy/consulate at origin) will have more chance to get duty free approval at Lat Krabang port only. The other port, shipment cannot get free duty for this type of visa.

More importantly get a decent broker here in Thailand that can get your stuff through the ports and the customs without costing you a fortune in Port Handling fees... and you need to be prepared for these, because it looks like Pack n Save have just given you a door to port service which will not take into consideration any of the (exorbitant!) fees you will be facing when you land......

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies. The pack & send office has given me a choice, so I guess I will go for Laem Chabang. That is depending on what I do. So far packing my stuff, I may only end up with 3 or 4 boxes, so I will have to weigh up whether to ship or air freight. It is only some books, cd's and variety of nick-nacks, and clothes. So far more has gone into the garbage than I figured. I didn't think I was such a hoarder!

As for clearing, this may be a problem. No Thai wife.

Visa will be (not applied for yet as waiting for docs from employer) a Non-Immigrant B visa with 12 months validity. Hoping I will get a multiple entry but doubt it as I will not have a work permit yet.

Having read the daily "todays best Thaivisa topics" every day for the last 6 months, you all have taught me a great deal. Sold my bike today, so a little weight is off my mind.

Thank you all.

I suggest you wait with the shipping until the workpermit is issued. This would allow you to import duty free - conditions apply. This again balanced against the expected duty amount and storage charges in your home country.