Oh, The Horror Of It All

IanForbes

Oh, the debauchery of Thai youth drinking in a public place and stripping near naked... :):D

Doi_Suthep_trail_beer_gang.jpg

Michael and I started up the Doi Suthep trail from near the zoo at the bottom of the hill. It was a pleasant hike up the trail to waterfalls about 2/3 of the way to Doi Suthep. We worked up a sweat and on our way down ran into a group of friendly young men who offered us a glass of their cold beer. A beer never tasted so good after the dry hike. Anyone who hasn't done so should treat themselves to this lovely park so close to Chiang Mai. The hike is steep, but not a killer, and you can do sections of it if you are not up to the whole trip. It truly is a lovely place with scenic waterfalls and small pools for swimming or cooling off. All sorts of butterflies frequent the area and I was lucky to get a few good photos.

Butterfly_2.sized.jpg

Doi_Suthep_trail_037.jpg

Doi_Suthep_trail_042.jpg

Afterwards we treated ourselves to an enjoyable, inexpensive meal at the restaurant at the bottom of the hill. I recommend it.

Doi_Suthep_trail_059.sized.jpg

:)

Yes - Thailand have a lot to give if you just open yourself to see it.... eventually somebody who is not always and forever complaining!

and yes Merry X-mas and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to everybody

Great stuff; and a lot better than going to Number plate auctions for a hobby! Can't imagine what's in some peoples heads these days.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to everyone.

Glad you had a good day out, but I must be feeling jaded. After reading the title & seeing the first picture my first thought was "Yeah, I can see those kids getting drunk & then whizzing down the mountain way too fast on their scooters, helmetless to boot." That may not be debauchery, more like recklessness. In any case, not just innocent fun. But may they'll flag down a songthaew instead. And maybe I need a vacation...

Very misleading thread title. :)

Not really, considering that one person here thought a photo of the top half of toddler's bare butt was somehow lewd and disgusting, I would imagine semi naked youths drinking would be a heinious crime.

nice post

thanks for the idea - we simply ran out of time on last visit to CM but back in Feb, the walk sounds a good idea for a day out for us both, I'm also keen to try one of the mountainbike rides from Doi Suthep area down to CM, looked at their website some rides very challenging, some big descents to negotiate.

cheers!

If you had met youths (sorry can't say youths anymore has to be young persons) of that age in the UK, you would more than likely have been mugged and thrown in the river :)

Kids in Thailand seem far more respectful IMO.

I have a lad in his early 20's who lives alone next door. Every week he has a party and all his mates come round and they drink, get drunk play music and are a bit loud....BUT, they BEHAVE themselves, no puke in the road, no scratches on the car or vandalism, grafiti, NOTHING.

Anyone agree?

Nice pics by the way Ian :D

nice post

thanks for the idea - we simply ran out of time on last visit to CM but back in Feb, the walk sounds a good idea for a day out for us both, I'm also keen to try one of the mountainbike rides from Doi Suthep area down to CM, looked at their website some rides very challenging, some big descents to negotiate.

cheers!

It is a 12 km ride up to the top of the hill by road, but all the trails I've been on I didn't think would be suitable for mountain bike. Great ride coming down all the switchbacks on the road though.

I love all the butterflies I see in the area. Each season seems to bring out different species. I saw half a dozen varieties that I was able to photograph.

I loved the false eyes on the wing of this species.

Butterfly_3.sized.jpg

Some have subtle coloured wings like these... but they are no less beautiful.

Butterfly_1.sized.jpg

Butterfly_4.sized.jpg

If you had met youths (sorry can't say youths anymore has to be young persons) of that age in the UK, you would more than likely have been mugged and thrown in the river :)

Kids in Thailand seem far more respectful IMO.

I have a lad in his early 20's who lives alone next door. Every week he has a party and all his mates come round and they drink, get drunk play music and are a bit loud....BUT, they BEHAVE themselves, no puke in the road, no scratches on the car or vandalism, grafiti, NOTHING.

Anyone agree?

Nice pics by the way Ian :D

agree absolutely,its a pleasure to live here with respectful people.

Today we hiked up the last part of the trail from the parking lot for the Mon Tha Than waterfalls up past the Sai Yoi waterfalls and on to the hill above Doi Suthep temple. It is a 3 km hike, but straight up on a narrow, brushy trail. There are only a few scenic locations and would be better when the small stream had more water. One strange thing happened when we hiked down to Doi Suthep temple. On our way back a big dog decided he should guide us down the trail. He led us up the steps to the start of the trail back down and then led us all the way to the parking lot below. He bounded ahead of us, but always waited until we caught up. He didn't want to be touched or petted, but seemed to enjoy our company. I have no idea who he belonged to, but he was well fed and seemed well looked after.

DoiSuthep_008.sized.jpg

DoiSuthep_009.sized.jpg

DoiSuthep_013.sized.jpg

DoiSuthep_018.sized.jpg

Sai_Yoi_waterfall_2.sized.jpg

The_dog_A1.sized.jpg

re.... Time to dig out the walking boots and head for the mountains in search of debauchery.

it would be quicker if you looked next to foxy lady !

:) As my views on said locale and it's clientelle are well known, I'll refrain from saying too much lest I'm being baited here :D

"Quicker" maybe, but those happy young men in Ian's picture have clearly had recent contact with water, a personal hygiene routine which many from the area you mention seem unaware of :D

paagai.

sorry if i threw your a bum steer.

i havnt been there since the last girly bar closed about two years ago so i dont know about their hygene level : )

dave2

ps ... i dont bait .... each to their own .... live and let live !