Restaurant Review: Duke's Bangkok

junkofdavid2

Prices: Just right. If they up the price any further, I wouldn't go. If they reduce prices, they might not be able to maintain the same quality. If they keep the prices the same but then reduce quality after a few weeks or months (as some restaurants do after the opening months), it won't be worth going back either.

Burger: Quite good and filling. However, if you're looking for a "real" American beef burger, this might not be for you. The beef is a bit "spiced up" to make it tasty instead of "beefy", but quite good nevertheless.

Onion Rings: Quite good, and what you'd expect. Not too crunchy/crispy, but it's still quite good; maybe not meant to be crispy.

Pizza: Excellent and just the right price (around 195+ baht for around a 13 inch diameter pie). However, as with the burger, it is NOT the usual New York Pizza, and it's NOT an Italian "gourmet" pizza either. Instead, it has its own unique taste which I must say is VERY good in its own right! Try the plain cheese (with garlic) pizza. Very tasty. Interestingly textured crust, a lot of cheese, and a lot of tomato paste.

Would I come back? YES.

:)

post-34215-1261221530_thumb.jpg

post-34215-1261221553_thumb.jpg

post-34215-1261221633_thumb.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to think of it; indeed the drinks were expensive... so I remember I opted not to order any. Instead bought a drink at Emporium supermarket after my meal.

Didn't try the ribs.

That's gotta be the cheapest comment I have read on Thai Visa!

Are you proud of that? I bet you you are the type of guy who sits on the steps of 7- eleven and drinks his beer instead of going into a bar.

I go to Emporium every other day and have not yet seen this place. It must be inside by the Indian restaurant? I will give it a try, although, my money is probably on them not lasting for the long run. They are competing with: Mos Burger, Burger King, and that Portuguese Piri Piri restaurant which are all very strongly established brands in Thailand.

Come to think of it; indeed the drinks were expensive... so I remember I opted not to order any. Instead bought a drink at Emporium supermarket after my meal.

Didn't try the ribs.

Are you proud of that? I bet you you are the type of guy who sits on the steps of 7- eleven and drinks his beer instead of going into a bar.

:)

Umm... actually, I shifted to soda-water a while back. Lot cheaper. :D

I go to Emporium every other day and have not yet seen this place. It must be inside by the Indian restaurant? I will give it a try, although, my money is probably on them not lasting for the long run. They are competing with: Mos Burger, Burger King, and that Portuguese Piri Piri restaurant which are all very strongly established brands in Thailand.

It's a bit deep inside, past Svensens, and there are restaurants side by side. It's on the same floor as the supermarket.

The store has only been open for a couple of weeks and they are still working out the bugs. I would give then until after the New Year as there will be some more staff coming down from Chiang Mai to help them get up to speed.

The burgers are seasoned with salt and pepper only, besides the cajun burger, which has cajun spices. The meat is fresh sirloin that is ground everyday and has approximately 20% fat added.

The Emporium was in a hurry to get the spot open and it was a hectic month of building and training. Things are coming together.

Didn't try the ribs.

Your comments are extremely rude. People can spend their money any way and where ever they want unless someone appointed you the chief checker and didn't inform the rest of the world.

Lets get a few things straight Mos Burger and Portuguese Piri Piri are not threw out Thailand. You do not see them in the north. Burger King McDonald's KFC, Pizza Hut Pizza Company etc. Now to Dukes. The Dukes in Chiang Mai has two excellent locations and has become a local success story and institution in Chiang Mai. I hope his venture into Bangkok is a success. The Dukes is not what some would call a high so restaurant but it does not attract the cheep Charlie crowed of the fast food junkies. Its a family oriented establishment. You are going to get what you pay for. If you do not want to pay from 200 to 1000 baht per meal do not go. Go back to your 25 baht noodle shop. BTW I under stand that 7 Eleven is going to give out cushion for its new customers because the tourist traffic is down. I am aware that what works in Chiang Mai does not relate to success in Bangkok and what works in Bangkok does not relate to sauces in Chiang Mai. Point Mikes burgers Chiang Mai 4 outlets in CM tried and closed in Bangkok,Pattaya. Queen Victoria Pattaya opens a Queen Victoria in CM has changed hands 3 times sill in business but you just don't hear about it any more, not even close to the original in Pattaya. So to each his own. It would be nice though to see someone break threw the cultural barrier between north and south. Personally i give the new Dukes a 30% chance of success I hope and so does the owner that I'm wrong.

Didn't try the ribs.

Your comments are extremely rude. People can spend their money any way and where ever they want unless someone appointed you the chief checker and didn't inform the rest of the world.

sorry Gordon!

I got a free voucher last week from a company that shall remain anonymous. It was for 350 baht to be spent at Dukes.

I had the lasagne which came with a salad that wasn't mentioned on the menu. The lasagne was good and ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE! More than enough for two people. The salad was okay. All for 325 baht.

Service was good. I shall return.

I have been there 2 times already with a friend and enjoyed the Burgers. I tried the Dukes Burger and the Joe's Famous burger with blue cheese. The were very tasty and juicy. My friend tried the Meat Lovers Pizza and was happy. I had slice too and it was delicious.

Definitely I would go there again.

I have also been at Dukes Burger in Bangkok / Emporium. We ordered several dishes like Pizza, Burger, Rips, Wings and Salad. The Dukes Burger was really big and just tasted Great. Moreover it is a REAL BURGER !!! and not like that small things u can get at Mc Donalds or something!! Also the Rips were delicious. They came with a very nice sauce and had a fantastic meat. Same like the Wings!

I was really surprised in a positive way and will also go there again. That's for sure!

THUMBS-UP for Dukes Burger - you do a great job here in Bangkok!

I have also been at Dukes Burger in Bangkok / Emporium. We ordered several dishes like Pizza, Burger, Rips, Wings and Salad. The Dukes Burger was really big and just tasted Great. Moreover it is a REAL BURGER !!! and not like that small things u can get at Mc Donalds or something!! Also the Rips were delicious. They came with a very nice sauce and had a fantastic meat. Same like the Wings!

I was really surprised in a positive way and will also go there again. That's for sure!

THUMBS-UP for Dukes Burger - you do a great job here in Bangkok!

I don't think the owner could have written a better review himself :)

Lets get a few things straight Mos Burger and Portuguese Piri Piri are not threw out Thailand. You do not see them in the north. Burger King McDonald's KFC, Pizza Hut Pizza Company etc. Now to Dukes. The Dukes in Chiang Mai has two excellent locations and has become a local success story and institution in Chiang Mai. I hope his venture into Bangkok is a success. The Dukes is not what some would call a high so restaurant but it does not attract the cheep Charlie crowed of the fast food junkies. Its a family oriented establishment. You are going to get what you pay for. If you do not want to pay from 200 to 1000 baht per meal do not go. Go back to your 25 baht noodle shop. BTW I under stand that 7 Eleven is going to give out cushion for its new customers because the tourist traffic is down. I am aware that what works in Chiang Mai does not relate to success in Bangkok and what works in Bangkok does not relate to sauces in Chiang Mai. Point Mikes burgers Chiang Mai 4 outlets in CM tried and closed in Bangkok,Pattaya. Queen Victoria Pattaya opens a Queen Victoria in CM has changed hands 3 times sill in business but you just don't hear about it any more, not even close to the original in Pattaya. So to each his own. It would be nice though to see someone break threw the cultural barrier between north and south. Personally i give the new Dukes a 30% chance of success I hope and so does the owner that I'm wrong.

No, you do not know what you are talking about. Piri Piri has had that location for six+ years (as long as I have been in Thailand) with a predominantly Thai clientele. Burger King has had that location for six+ years with a very busy Thai clientele. Mos Burger does absolutely roaring business at all of their locations including this one.

Thai people are not used to paying 200 baht for a burger. Trying to make a profit on a location with such a high rent, a rent high enough to charge 40B for water with ONLY a farang clientele does not sound like the best strategy.

Sunrise tacos was able to capture the Thai market if you have noticed and they still exist as one of the few Mexican restaurants in Thailand and the only one marketed towards Thais.

If someone wants a burger, they have 4 options now. L-O-L.

Edited by docholiday123

No, you do not know what you are talking about. Piri Piri has had that location for six+ years (as long as I have been in Thailand) with a predominantly Thai clientele. Burger King has had that location for six+ years with a very busy Thai clientele. Mos Burger does absolutely roaring business at all of their locations including this one.

Thai people are not used to paying 200 baht for a burger. Trying to make a profit on a location with such a high rent, a rent high enough to charge 40B for water with ONLY a farang clientele does not sound like the best strategy.

Sunrise tacos was able to capture the Thai market if you have noticed and they still exist as one of the few Mexican restaurants in Thailand and the only one marketed towards Thais.

By chance I went there again lat night and had the The Route 66 Hamburger which has over 1/2 lb of ground sirloin. I asked the staff and they said it was 300 grams and they use Thai France Sirloin. The taste was want I was looking for. With that huge burger you get a giant order of fresh cut fries, cole slaw and a large dill pickle. Just a complete different experience from a Mos Burger or Burger King. I love malt vinegar on my fries and they had it. No way does Mos Burger or Burger King have that. Its called a Gourmet burger.

Second thing, I notice when I was there that Thais were also eating. One table was sharing a large salad which looked like a Ceaser and a pizza which had giant shrimp on it. Another table had chicken wings and ribs. This is not just a burger joint

Mos and Piri Piri are not in Chiang Mai or northen Thailand there for they are not threw out Thaialnd. Half of the Dukes cutomers base is Thai and they well and do pay 200 baht for a burger and its not at McDonald. Dukes is not a burger place and I would say at the moment he just might be the resturant to crack this north south BS. :)

"Prices: Just right. If they up the price any further, I wouldn't go."

If you wouldn't go if they raised the prices even a little bit, I'd infer that the prices are high.

As for the food, your review stated: "Quite good... quite good...Quite good...quite good"

We got the hint.

Didn't try the ribs.

Hear Hear