Restaurant Review: Duke's Bangkok

junkofdavid2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

New Independent Review -- Chiengfa.com

Another positive report about the food at Bangkok's Duke's Express online today courtesy of travel writer Michael Holland's Chieng Fa blog. He focuses on the burgers -- as you'd expect -- and gave them good marks.

IMG_3331.jpg

I opted for the Duke’s Special burger, with cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms. You get a choice of French fries, onion rings or a salad with your burger. The burgers run around 250 to just under 300 Baht each, as does most of the menu, so this isn’t a cheap place, by Thai standards.

The burger, as you can see in the photo, is large and well presented. The beef tasted like it was very high quality – much better that you get from the big chains. It was also very juicy, making this a very messy burger to eat with your hands. Normally that wouldn’t be much of a negative, but about halfway through I suffered a complete patty meltdown and had to finish my now broken burger with a knife and fork.

The burger was definitely good, and I’d certainly consider sampling more of Duke’s menu the next time I’m at the Emporium and feeling hungry.

You can read his full article here: http://chiengfa.com/journal/2010/05/03/dukes-express/

And check out Duke's online at http://www.dukesbangkok.com/

I ate at Duke's a couple of weeks ago. Loved the blue cheese bacon burger...the best burger I've had in Thailand. Wasn't very pleased with the onion rings, so will go with the regular fries next time. But all in all, walked away well satisfied and will return.

JFC - best burger in BKK? You must be kidding.

My review.

Based on what someone said above I decided to go there over the holiday weekend (May1) due to zero traffic. I want to order the foccia style garlic bread because wife loves that.

Sat down, got meanus & SURPRISE SURPISE we don't have the bread & it will take an hour to make it.

TIT.

Exactly the type of nonsense you learn to expect here. (Except for La Monita & Bar B Q Sandwich king where the expat manager is always on site).

For some reason they have pizza dough so ordered wifey a cheese pizza which is very close to the garlic bread.

They use the same type of bread for the burgers.

I went with the route 66 & onion rings.

To me the onion rings were the surprise hit of the evening. Cooked just the way I like them.

The burger was a soggy mess. yes the pickle was good.

Anyone who wants a killer burger is welcome to come over to my house & I will make it for you.

Maybe next time I will try the meatball sandwich or the Rueben.

I think Duke's BKK is run by the same folks that run Sunrise Tacos. Not exactly gourmet food. btw - DO NOT order the fish & chips at Duke's - horrible. Use the rest before you come to burger king.

• 3 months later...

For a real burger served authentically, try Woodstock in Thong Lor. Here you can actually specify whether u want well done/medium well, etc..

Also great American Rib on Sukhumvit soi 36 has a pretty decent burger, big juicy patty.

There used to be another spot on Soi Rangnam, 'Thai Isaan Inter', which closed around the time the King Power complex opened. Does anyone know if it relocated, or is closed for good?

(the chef here had trained at the Oriental Hotel and was very accomplished)

I don't go to Emporium often, but a few weeks back, I was there and went to Duke's with a Thai friend. I had a burger and my friend had the fish and chips--God only knows why he ordered fish and chips--he spent time in England and isn't impressed with fish and chips. The burger was very good and I was pleasantly surprised. My friend, of course, didn't care for the fish and chips--not helped by it being hot and him burning his mouth on the first bite. He had some of my burger and I finished his fish and chips. I found both to be quite tasty. There were some onion rings with the fish and chips and they were delicious.

The price was quite reasonable. I can't say it's the best food I've had in Bangkok, but it was certainly very good, the service was good and the price was reasonable.

Use the rest before you come to burger king.

I know several people who LOVE The Duke's fish and chips. They are not British style so I have not ever bothered with them myself -as that is the style that I prefer - but some people certainly like them.

Come to think of it; indeed the drinks were expensive... so I remember I opted not to order any. Instead bought a drink at Emporium supermarket after my meal.

Didn't try the ribs.

That's gotta be the cheapest comment I have read on Thai Visa!

Are you proud of that? I bet you you are the type of guy who sits on the steps of 7- eleven and drinks his beer instead of going into a bar.

Don't knock being frugal. Someday you may need to be.

• Like 1

I know several people who LOVE The Duke's fish and chips. They are not British style so I have not ever bothered with them myself -as that is the style that I prefer - but some people certainly like them.

Duke's Express in Bangkok seems quite different from the Chiang Mai version. Much more like a fast food joint, and the food I've tried definitely tastes different than the same dishes served up north. Have you had a chance to try it yet UG?

Duke's Express in Bangkok seems quite different from the Chiang Mai version. Much more like a fast food joint, and the food I've tried definitely tastes different than the same dishes served up north. Have you had a chance to try it yet UG?

At the chance of sounding confrontational, and I do apologize for that, how can you comment on a place that you have not eaten at in years, meaning The Duke's in Chiang Mai?

One of the reasons we ended up at Duke's that day was because it is reasonably quick. I have eaten at the Indian Restaurant across from it and have seen people sitting leisurely enjoying a meal and others going in and out fairly quickly. We didn't have a lot of time (going to the movie), but enough to sit down and enjoy a meal. If I am in a hurry it's Burger King.

Drinks at most places are costly.

At the chance of sounding confrontational, and I do apologize for that, how can you comment on a place that you have not eaten at in years, meaning The Duke's in Chiang Mai?

I'm not sure how it is you think you know my comings and goings, but the last time I ate at Duke's in Chiang Mai was March 2010. I don't believe we've ever met?