Khao san road now a lively hub for metal traders

george

A street paved with silver

Khao San Road now a lively hub for metal traders

Silver is the boom business these days along Khao San Road - traditionally a magnet for backpackers and arguably one of Bangkok's liveliest spots.

These days, silver accessories for export account for more than half the cash flow of the area.

"The silver trade is worth much more than the entertainment business and accommodation services," said Taifa Chayaworaprapha, who heads the Merchants on Khao San Road Group.

Some 70 silver shops and stalls have blossomed on and near Khao San, replacing the former grocery stores and tailors' shops. They are doing unprecedented volumes of business as importers from many countries place enormous orders.

"I stopped buying silver accessories from Chiang Mai because there was a limited choice of designs," said Dutch national Armand van Gorp. "I headed to Bangkok and heard about Khao San from people in the same business." Khao San's reputation for accommodation choices first drew van Gorp to the area but he quickly found he could conduct his business there, too.

"I find it very convenient here," said the silver importer. "It's like one-stop services. You can do business and relax at the same time." Now, he makes the trip from the Netherlands to Khao San six times a year.

Low prices and the vast variety of designs are the area's major selling points, silver trader Pannee Lertsomphol said. She is chairwoman of the Silver Accessory Sellers' Club on Khao San Road.

"It's the revival of an old business. The silver trade used to thrive here before being mostly wiped out by guesthouses. Ten years ago, there were only three silver-shops here. But now, the silver trade is back," Pannee said. Silver seller Tanyamon Prasertpanyawut said she started putting silver accessories on her shelves as her customers visiting her clothes shop increasingly asked about silver ornaments.

"I saw the demand and grasped the opportunity," Tanyamon said.

Asked about her marketing tactics, she said, "Like anything else about Khao San, we boast cheap prices and word-of-mouth has drawn customers in."

Another silver trader, Wisut Kittiraweechat, said most of his customers were importers from Europe, the US, Turkey and Australia. He said Japanese and South Korean silver traders preferred to carry silver accessories out of the country themselves. "Sales are especially good ahead of the Christmas festival," Wisut said. About 80 per cent of new ventures opening in the Khao San area recently have been silver traders.

"It seems silver shops are seizing the road but I don't think this trade will adversely affect other businesses," said Taifa of the Khao San merchants' group. He also runs an entertainment venue nearby.

"On the contrary, the silver trade will add an interesting angle to Khao San," Taifa said.

--The Nation 2003-10-24