Are Language Schools Having Trouble

Scott

I spent quite a few years working weekends for a small language school. Actually it was a tutorial type school with an English language component, as well as a few other subjects. The original idea was for English to be a draw for students studying other subjects as well. The number of students studying English was rather high, with most classes, especially the younger ones Starters, level 1 and 2 being full.

I no longer teach, but I do occasionally help out when someone is unable to work. In the past several years the number of students studying English as well as other subjects has dropped significantly. The owner has looked at ways of changing the classes, but admits the marketing plan may be the problem.

I talked to a couple of other people who work at language schools and they have said the same thing. Fewer students and some teachers laid off.

My experience, as well others that I have talked to have seen this as a gradual change. Any other experiences or observations anyone can share?

Actually this is also happening to schools - in Chiang Mai at least - with several new large schools opening in recent years, many have closed down whole floors and are loosing students wholesale. Some new schools have had some pretty underhanded recruitment campaigns that have really hurt other, older, schools too. While choice is a good thing, with too few students across these supersized schools, it could well flip and end up with some schools going belly up - then it will be more monopolistic. Kinds of makes me think of Blockbuster Video of the 80's and 90's opened up everywhere doing latest videos cheaply for extended periods and puts pay to all the little independents - then the price goes skywards and renting becomes much more restrictive.

In the old days parents had few choices if they wanted their children to study English with a native-speaker as Thai formal schools were restricted regarding the number of native-speaker teachers they could employ. Things changed around 5 years ago and just about every Thai formal school employs foreign teachers in EPs, bilingual programs, MEPs etc. Many of these schools also offer cheap after school classes. This, I feel, has sucked away many of the students/customers from language schools. For language schools to survive they will need to specialize in exam strategies, remedial classes, other languages etc. This means smaller class sizes and moving away from the traditional Mon/Wed/Thu 4:45-6:45pm type schedules.

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen a fair few language schools open and close in short periods over the years, usually by ill-prepared short stay foreigners I have to add making the usual mistakes, but their farang so they know it all right!.

Location appears (as with many businesses) one many continue to get wrong. Remember seeing a guy open about 800 meters from a University once - as if the students were not able to get such services on campus. I thought at the time you'll last 6 months, he dragged it out 9!

It's very dependant on term times and exams, so maybe those few laid off are in the quieter periods? Thai parents tending to think a few revision classes 2 months prior to the exam (busy period) will make up for 6 years of their son messing around day in day out and the same at home.

The few I know locally continue to do well, so not sure if there is any trend or maybe it is more relevant in certain areas of the country with schools taking up doing extra classes?

Thanks for the replies so far. Most of what I have gotten has been second hand and is more an impression than a fact. It seems that more teachers have been let go and that a lot of them are working either fewer hours or with fewer students.

I appreciate Loaded's remarks, but I don't know if I agree. I am in BKK and that may make a difference, but I know parents who have their kids in an International School--where they learn only in English and they still send them to silly conversation classes on weekends. I know schools (mine is one) that has an excellent math program and the kids still attend extra-tuition on weekends.

The difference I noted in my weekend work was the number of students has dropped off. It used to be at least 5 students to open a class and they usually grew to 10-15 quickly, especially with the younger kids. Now there are a lot of classes with 3-5 kids and a fairly high drop out rate.

One would think, as Loaded suggests, that parents would see that there child is actually getting enough where they are, but that doesn't seem to be the prevailing attitude in Bangkok at least.

I work at one of the three-letter schools, and numbers are down a lot. Nobody knows why, because nobody has tried to find out. A new hiree has an idea, maybe we should ask former students why they left. First time is 6 years of declining numbers that someone has taken any initiative. I'd bet it's a combination of economy, educational changes, and social factors.

Wow, what a novel idea, actually asking someone! Kudos to the new teacher. You, by the way, may very well be right about it being a combination of factors.

Where I worked, the owner would try to find out, but Thais can be notoriously dishonest about their reasons. With some parents it was clear that they were encountering financial problems, but they would suddenly decide the teacher was no good. The information is still valuable, however, because it would give owners/employees some ideas. It's just a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks.