Using An Additional Wifi Router To Extend Network Signal Range

Changian

I just got a new wifi router, a TP Link, as my old one was playing up a little. I have now installed the new one as the main wifi router connected to the phone line.

However, as the old one, a Belkin - no idea what model but about 3 or 4 years old, does still work I thought I could try using it as a repeater to increase the range of the wifi signal from the new router. ( Better to do this than just chuck it out.)

Only problem is I cant figure out how to set the two routers up to do this. I've found info online on various sites but cant seem to get any of the instructions to actually work, there doesn't seem to be one simple idiot proof way. I know I leave the TP Link configuration the same and somehow have to change settings on the Belkin but cant figure out how to do this.

If anyone has done this and has 'non-techy' instructions on how to set it up that would be appreciated.

Are you intending to connect it with a cable and have it as a second WiFi router with additional range on the same channel with the same SSID, or are you hoping it will receive the wireless signal from the first router and boost it on.

The 2nd way is not supported by all routers, but the first should be easy to setup.

Are you intending to connect it with a cable and have it as a second WiFi router with additional range on the same channel with the same SSID, or are you hoping it will receive the wireless signal from the first router and boost it on.

The 2nd way is not supported by all routers, but the first should be easy to setup.

Looks like buying 20metres of cable and doing it that way might be the simplest option. (The powerline adapters look like a good idea but not possible in the type of house I have which and I think too expensive to justify.)

Maybe I'll look around for a cheap antennae next time I'm in Pantip - not sure if such a thing exists here.

Looks like buying 20metres of cable and doing it that way might be the simplest option. (The powerline adapters look like a good idea but not possible in the type of house I have which and I think too expensive to justify.)

Best and quite possibly only way to make it work.

WDS is not a standard, and generally doesn't work between routers of different brands. Even if it does work, it's hardly idiot-proof. I set it up on some DLinks and it took a fair amount of tinkering.

If you wanted to go from WiFi to WiFi and have it idiot-proof, I'd recommend getting a base unit and an extender unit from the same brand. I think Belkin offers this.

Maybe I'll look around for a cheap antennae next time I'm in Pantip - not sure if such a thing exists here.

Do this, I built a PC for a guy who insisted it had a wifi card, when i went to his house to set it up i discovered why need for the card.

There was 4 people in a small housing village all sharing a 12mb true connection and he was about 40 metres from the house that had the router, his laptop at best received a poor signal, the PC i built him got zero signal, i went into Tukom and purchases a 10Dbi omni directional antenna for 990b, he now gets a full signal on the PC.

You can not chain wifi routers to increase your range.

Why not?

It's called repeater mode!

Not sure your Belkin supports this, as you don't state the model you have.

If your Belkin supports it, you basically just have to enable it and place it somewhere at the edge of the range of your new wifi point.

One drawback is that using the extender mode greatly reduces maximum available speed for computers connected to the extender (about half speed)...