Source For Cacao Nibs

CobraSnakeNecktie

Cacao nibs are the raw but slightly processed/fermented pods from which chocolate is made. Supposed to be very health promoting.

Has anyone found them for sale in thailand? I can find bakers chocolate and Cacao powder but the less refined nibs are supposed to be a whole lot better.

Supposed to be a great brain and mood food with many antioxidants and minerals.

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

since I posted my original inquiry I have looked and looked and there is some potential of Cacao being grown widely in Indonesia and Malaysia and to a lesser extent in southern Thailand.

The less processed Nibs are much more powerful antioxidants than processed Cacao. On the plus side there are various Cacao bars for sale with almost 100% cacao at Tops, Rimping, Carrefour, Big C etc. Lindt makes a 99% one which is for sale everywhere(120 baht for 100 grams). Many others in the 50 to 85% pure cacao content. Also unsweetened 100% baking cacao is common. Those are good sources for the antioxidant properties but only about 30 to 50% power of the organic Nibs as Measured by the (ORAC).\ Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity scale.

The Alkalized Cacao powders are common and cheaper than the bars and easy to mix in water but "dutch" alkalization process of making the cacao less bitter strips a lot of the benefits from the cacao.

There are some experimental cacao farms in Chumpon province for example and Kasertart University has done studies on Cacao production but for me no luck to source unprocessed Cacao nibs.

It seems the really good stuff comes from Africa, Ecuador and the Caribbean. The Malaysian and Indonesian sources are more about lower grade stuff.

If anybody finds a source of good quality then please post. This superfood puts Goji berries, Acai Berries and especially Blueberries to shame.

i order from the states along with maca

not sure about the quality

would like to find both in thailand/pattaya

do you have it delivered to Thailand? How does it work out price wise?

Also heard and read good things about Maca and its adaptogenic qualities but never tried it yet.

If anyone is doing a group order for delivery to Thailand for some good stuff then I would be interested.

the costs of the products are very reasonable

nine usa a pound for cocoa

however shipping is high

this second time i got hit with customs fees

maybe cause the package was heavier

i enjoy the maca even more than the cocoa

i use herbsamerica online

there are all kinds of interesting supplements

most of which i am unfamiliar with

you may know about

the maca is great

i enjoy the cocoa but i had tried better quality from the uk