"o-a" Visa: 800,000 Baht In Thai Bank Or Investment?

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong... This thread was never about pros and cons between Non-O and Non-OA Visa. The OP was asking about the 800K baht requirement in order to satisfy his Non-OA Visa application.

Actually, sounded like he wanted to know how to extend a Non Imm O in Thailand, based on retirement -- and not the financials involved with getting a Non Imm O-A visa outside Thailand. He specifically was looking at allowed flavors in Thai banks that Immigration would accept toward his retirement quest.

The OP got caught-up on the loose definitions defining how retirement eligibles can stay in Thailand in one-year increments. Just a look at the title shows his confusion: "O-A visa" and "800k in a Thai bank" are mutually exclusive.

In fairness, he's one of many who got tripped up by confusing getting a one-year extension based on retirement with getting an O-A visa within Thailand -- which is not possible, regardless of what the Hull and MFA websites say to the contrary.

An updated "pinned" definition article might prevent such frequent circle jerks.

Possible, tho I read it as him wanting an OA but was he required to have funds 800,000 in a THAI Bank.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The requirement for retirement extension of stay is 800k in bank or 65k monthly income or a combination to equal 800k. And being over age 50.

The requirement for wife/child is 400k in bank or 40k monthly income. And paperwork proving relationship.

The difference of OA (O and pre Approved extension) and O visa (plus extension) is mentioned on a daily basis and most threads concerning retirement will have such posts.

It they each want retirement extension of stay they each have to show 800k in there own accounts. But only one needs retirement if married - the other can obtain without financials as dependent.

Just out of interest, my wife and I got our retirement extensions in Oct 2009 at Bangkok Immigration, and we had a joint account with over 1,600,000 baht in it. Therefore, more than 800,000 baht each. This was acceptable to immigration.

Thanks for the update and it really makes sense that it should be. It used to be acceptable everywhere but recent reports seem to indicate it it may not be with some officers. I expect for most 'independent' minded couples they may prefer the seperate accounts in any case and may not want to do at the same time.

It they each want retirement extension of stay they each have to show 800k in there own accounts. But only one needs retirement if married - the other can obtain without financials as dependent.

Just out of interest, my wife and I got our retirement extensions in Oct 2009 at Bangkok Immigration, and we had a joint account with over 1,600,000 baht in it. Therefore, more than 800,000 baht each. This was acceptable to immigration.

But it should be Possible if you are opening a Joint account (also as Husband and Wife should have the same last name.)

After that showing the Marriage documents that yo are officially Married then it should be possible to only show 800.000.- baht. (But i still have to Confirm this with the Immigration officer)

But it should be Possible if you are opening a Joint account (also as Husband and Wife should have the same last name.)

After that showing the Marriage documents that yo are officially Married then it should be possible to only show 800.000.- baht. (But i still have to Confirm this with the Immigration officer)

I would not count on it. The rules say the person asking for the extension must have the money in the bank. With a joined account, it is not your money only.

You would be up to the mercy of the individual officer.

I would not count on it. The rules say the person asking for the extension must have the money in the bank. With a joined account, it is not your money only.

But to a Logical thinking "married, Living together, Sharing the Same bed :) ect....) then there should be no problem. but still i will have to confirm this again.

This Non immigrant "O-A" Visa is one of the best Visas that you can get, Without going through the hustle at the Immigration. But anyway you need to say "Hello and Bye Bye, I am still alive!!" at the Immigration for every 90 Days.

That is rather misleading. For people really retiring here and not just here on a long holiday, before a year or two (if they have a multi-entry O-A and use it) they will be subject to the exact same requirements of obtaining annual retirement extensions, the same as those people who started with an O.

I freely admit to being old, stupid and wrong, but I can't find any thread detailing the differences pros/cons between a o and oa visa. Could one of you smarter/younger and more right people post a link please.

As far as I can see OA and O .... same cost, same age

OA done in person at Embassy, O done by post at any Consulate (all outside Thailand)

OA requires proof of funding, police report, medical, O doesn't

OA 90 day reporting done at local Thai Immigration, O 'reporting' done at border

OA lasts 12 months, O lasts 15 months

As far as I can see the OA is a complete dead loss with a load of added hassle.

I'm quite happy to visit a border every 90 days.

Am I wrong? (again)

Yes you are wrong. But it is a personal decision so you may still feel it fits you.

1. OA is a pre approved one year stay in Thailand with no need to leave and if multi entry you get a new one year stamp at any time during its one year validity - allowing almost two years in Thailand without the need for any funding in Thai accounts. It is issued with proof of money in home country account/medical/police check. The requirement for 90 day reports can be done by mail or in person to local Immigration office - 30 days prior to expiration of stay you can extend yearly using normal in country funds.

2. O is a multi entry visa for 90 day stays and not specifically issued for retirement. Very few places will issue such a visa. During one year validity you receive a stay stamp of 90 days for any entry. To obtain a new entry you must leave Thailand, enter another country and return. 30 days prior to expiration of stay you can extend yearly using normal in country funds.

3. O single entry is a logical method to obtain retirement extension of stay and easily obtained most places for those age 50. It provides a 90 day stay and before that stay expires you apply for one year extension exactly the same as in 1 or 2 above. Requirement is funds in bank account 60 days which you should be able to meet during the 90 day stay. You do not have to make any border runs using this method and the visa cost is much less.

@ Lopburi3: Thank you for a very clear and detailed explanation of the differences between O-A, O-Multi and O-Single.

@ pjclark1: No body is calling you stupid. calling you old, stubborn and wrong - YES :D But hey we all make mistakes sometimes :)

Like you I'm on a Non-Immigrant-Type O with multy entries as I'm still under 50. At this time I really don't mind the 90 days border run as I tend to travel out of the country anyway - but to some people the 90 days border run can be very inconvenient. However when I do turn 50, I will switch to Retirement Visa (O-A) for the extra convenient it provides.

Happy Holidays :D

The requirement is either 800,000 Baht in an account or 65,000 Baht per month income, not both. I'll let others comment on the types of account immigration finds acceptable. But, I would not expect them to accept that account.

Also, are you applying for an"O-A" visa in your home country, or would you be applying in Thailand for a one year "Extension of Stay" based on retirement?

I applied and recieved a no immigrant O, just had to show 800,000 in my aussie bank, nothing about transfer to thai bank.

I applied and recieved a no immigrant O, just had to show 800,000 in my aussie bank, nothing about transfer to thai bank.

Okay here we go again.... Please be specific: Did you get a Non-OA or a Non-O???

If you get a Non-O (with multi entries or single) - based on visiting friends/relatives, you do not need to show any money anywhere.

If you get a Non-AO (Retirement): you will need either 800K baht in your Thai Bank or proof of 65K baht income.

I freely admit to being old, stupid and wrong, but I can't find any thread detailing the differences pros/cons between a o and oa visa. Could one of you smarter/younger and more right people post a link please.

As far as I can see OA and O .... same cost, same age

OA done in person at Embassy, O done by post at any Consulate (all outside Thailand)

OA requires proof of funding, police report, medical, O doesn't

OA 90 day reporting done at local Thai Immigration, O 'reporting' done at border

OA lasts 12 months, O lasts 15 months

As far as I can see the OA is a complete dead loss with a load of added hassle.

I'm quite happy to visit a border every 90 days.

Am I wrong? (again)

Yeh! PJ, that suits me too................dead easy, no bloody hassles, and its only a short, reasonably cheap flight from Samui to KL.

The OA is a year visa for retirement . . . Can be extended by a further year by a border run just before the expiry this will give you a further 12 mths before having to show funds in a Thai Bank (on annual extensions) however a re-entry permit will be requied should you wish to leave the country for any reason and return.

I don't see anything on the 2 Thai Immigration sites about being able to extend the OA visa by doing a border run. The DC site says only " Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000.- Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000.- Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretion of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirements. "

That is, "show me the money" yearly.

This is only for the multi entry non immigrant OA visa. Any multi entry gets the full permitted to stay time on each entry. For an OA visa that time is one year. So an entry the day before it expires allows a one year entry from that date. Has nothing to do with Consulates.

I don't see anything on the 2 Thai Immigration sites about being able to extend the OA visa by doing a border run.

If you have a Multi Entry Non O-A Visa you can exit and return any time during the lifetime of the Visa and get another 12 months.

Do a border run a day or two before it expires and you get another 12 months, giving a total of 2 years.

I don't see anything on the 2 Thai Immigration sites about being able to extend the OA visa by doing a border run.

If you have a Multi Entry Non O-A Visa you can exit and return any time during the lifetime of the Visa and get another 12 months.

Do a border run a day or two before it expires and you get another 12 months, giving a total of 2 years.

Do tell. Well then, good to know that, thanks to all who've mentioned it.

Yes you are wrong. But it is a personal decision so you may still feel it fits you.

1. OA is a pre approved one year stay in Thailand with no need to leave and if multi entry you get a new one year stamp at any time during its one year validity - allowing almost two years in Thailand without the need for any funding in Thai accounts. It is issued with proof of money in home country account/medical/police check. The requirement for 90 day reports can be done by mail or in person to local Immigration office - 30 days prior to expiration of stay you can extend yearly using normal in country funds.

2. O is a multi entry visa for 90 day stays and not specifically issued for retirement. Very few places will issue such a visa. During one year validity you receive a stay stamp of 90 days for any entry. To obtain a new entry you must leave Thailand, enter another country and return. 30 days prior to expiration of stay you can extend yearly using normal in country funds.

3. O single entry is a logical method to obtain retirement extension of stay and easily obtained most places for those age 50. It provides a 90 day stay and before that stay expires you apply for one year extension exactly the same as in 1 or 2 above. Requirement is funds in bank account 60 days which you should be able to meet during the 90 day stay. You do not have to make any border runs using this method and the visa cost is much less.

I second the thanks for a full and clear explanation.

pj

The money in Thailand must be in cash deposit accounts. Investment account would not be accepted.

There is a thread on this in the Chinagmai forum.

The 800k must be in an account which allows instant access throughout the 3 month period ( 2 months for first application). It can be with any Thai or foreign bank but must be denominated in baht and the bank operates in Thailand. So Bangkok Bank, HSBC would be fine.

What is not accepted is a TERM account

The term fixed can be confusing as that usually means term; but the key is whether the money can be instantly withdrawn. If it can be that is fine. Though I would not envy anyone trying to explain to an immigration officer that fixed mean instant access.

the money has to be in a Thai Bank

What's the definition of a Thai bank?

Would HSBC at Lumphini qualify?

Yes. my account is there. they provide statements for the relevant period and a letter. standard pravtice for them.

Absolutely right, Mario.

I wish people would listen to those that know the ropes here. And why play mind games with Thai immigration officers. Having 2 separate accounts of 800k avoids any possible hassles. Why do some people have to go out of their way to be awkward just to prove a point.

For a 12 month extension based on Retirement the money has to be in a Thai Bank. Usually a savings account but fixed income account is usually accepted.

The money has to be readily available. 800,000 Baht OR 65,000 Baht monthly income. OR a combination of both.

As said a Non O-A Visa is applied for in your own country and the money has to be in your home account. Medical and Police Report needed for this.

For consideration as well that the COMBINATION of income and bank can vary from office to office. I have found more often they are looking for income in combination with bank account to equal one million baht i.e. 40K baht per month = 480K salary/income. This would mean the need for a bank account with funds on hand of at least 520K baht. Those funds must be on deposit 90 days prior to application for the retirement extension. I also understand this has been lessened to 60 days for the initial application.

I am pretty sure in the US for the O-A you need to show funds (income, banked, or combo), typically in the US funds.

Not correct. I have a O-A visa from the USA. All I had to show was a Letter of Guarantee from my bank in Europe that my investments had a value of 800,000 THB or more (combination cash, stocks, bonds).

Edited by elektrified

I am pretty sure in the US for the O-A you need to show funds (income, banked, or combo), typically in the US funds.

I was under the impression that as a US citizen you can go along to the US consulate and make a sworn statement to an income of 800,000bht without any financial checks at all for a retirement Visa .... has this stopped? It still worked 2 months ago.

Your information is completely incorrect. You should really let lopburi3 and the other knowledgeable moderators provide the correct information so as not to confuse others.

You are still confused. Yes you can get an O visa from the UK. You can also get an O-A visa. The requirements for the O-A visa for Brits is the same as for Americans or any country where you can get an O-A. Yes you need a medical form, police report, and must show the retirement qualifying funds in your home country to get an O-A visa.

The funds do not have to be in your "home" country.

NB : not only did i need to show in my bank book an THB800K balance and produce a letter from my bank manager confirming this, i was told by the officer that the 800K should have been in my acc't for at least 3 months prior to my application. (it hadn't been, of course; but this minor obstacle was overcome with some cash moolah to the officer, so i'm unsure if this is a hard and fast rule, or simply a convenient local interpretation to extort a bit of cashola). either way, i was very happy to get my one-yr extension on the spot. other docs required : 2 p/p size photos, proof of residence/home ownership, photo copies of your bank book, and several pages of your passport. all in all, quite straight forward and relatively easy, when compared to the demands that some other countries place on foreign residents.