webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

still, complain against policemen and public servants can be made

once upon a time.........I asked an Immigration officer at an Airport just for her name (she gave me a false info and was unfriendly) She started YELLING at me

imidiatly and I was surrunded by 10 other immigration officers promptly. Cost me my flight and I was lucky that my connection flight to the US was a day after.

I had to sign a paper that all was my fault, the immigration missus is not to blame at all, and I have no further demands......and sure it was all written in Thai

so much about corruption and the ways to handle a complain. :)

Thats what you get for trying to chat up the birds in immigration.

still, complain against policemen and public servants can be made

once upon a time.........I asked an Immigration officer at an Airport just for her name (she gave me a false info and was unfriendly) She started YELLING at me

imidiatly and I was surrunded by 10 other immigration officers promptly. Cost me my flight and I was lucky that my connection flight to the US was a day after.

I had to sign a paper that all was my fault, the immigration missus is not to blame at all, and I have no further demands......and sure it was all written in Thai

so much about corruption and the ways to handle a complain. :)

Thats what you get for trying to chat up the birds in immigration.

:D

I don't know any Farangs that object to handing over 100 or 200 Baht to a traffic cop when they are caught speeding instead of going to the police station and paying the full ammount.

Every fawker here will pay some tea money in one way or another to make their lives easier, or is it another case of, ThaiVisa members don't ever pay tea money to make their lives easier, they take the harder route ?

Absolute tripe................

Corruption is a terrible thing when you don't gain out of it, but when you do gain, it's acceptable.

Those would be the same ones who've never paid for sex.... :D

Yeah, the very same ones........ :D:)

Obviously you haven't been stopped at a toll gate recently. You're right though, I never complained about 100 or 200 baht when I was speeding. At Lad Krabang toll gate it cost me 2,000 baht and I was innocent. If anything I was going too slow because I had a visiting friend from the US who was VERY nervous in the traffic, so I was taking it slow to try to calm him down. The cop was a hardened professional thief.

AND, since you mentioned it, I have NEVER paid 2,000 baht for sex. :D

Cheap-scape!36_1_19.gif

Every fawker here will pay some tea money in one way or another to make their lives easier, or is it another case of, ThaiVisa members don't ever pay tea money to make their lives easier, they take the harder route ?

I'll always take the harder route. My own personal pride and scruples won't allow me to line the pockets of some bent tosser who should just be doing the job they're getting paid for. Sure it might take me longer and cause more of the headache but at least I can tuck my daughter in bed at night knowing that her daddy is a person with morals. Sadly lacking in society a whole lot these days.

Some folks might think it's foolish to think as I do when a few k baht will expedite things and "pride" is a meaningless concept. Like I give a toss. :)

National Anti-Corruption Commission member, Vicha Mahakhun, said 2,933 complaints filed with the agency were mostly against police officers accusing them of malfeasance and abuse of power but he added that he could hardly be expected to prosecute the accused who were only doing the job they'd signed on the dotted line for.

Why is this sentence different from that in post #1 Surely The admin didn't leave this part of the sentnce out deliberately!!!! :)

If someone has wide discretionary powers and a very low salary, you are going to see corruption, whether it be in Thailand, Burkina Faso, Kyrgyzstan or East Timor. It is human nature.

The question should not be: "Why is Thailand corrupt?" but "How did other countries manage to reduce corruption?"

Generally, the answer is development, transparency, respected civil institutions and the other trappings of true democracy.

They do not have the elite structure and attitude of not questioning your "superiors" that other countries have acquired. And Thailand very much runs on the concept that if you can't beat them join them. A "What's in it for me attitude".

Issues such as paying traffic cops - if you did it wrong - you probably look back at the USD100+ fines and points et al against you - apart from being further recorded into Big Brother and the Eye In The Sky... I would say corruption is more a 'tip at this level.

Climb the food chain - commit murder - and the going price for freedom is USD50,000 :D

In a country who has police purchase their own weapons, pays a starting salary of under 8,000 Baht a month, is it no wonder when the deceased Inspector General of Police a few years ago was assessed with more than USD1BN followed by a press release (full page of The Nation) that the top cop - him - was on Baht 54,000 a month and that corruption was not at critical level within the police force!

Oh yeah and former ousted criminal in exile ... was a cop! He was trained well...

I must get the name of their financial adviser as mine cannot compete with that sort of return - I must be doing something wrong... :)

I don't know any Farangs that object to handing over 100 or 200 Baht to a traffic cop when they are caught speeding instead of going to the police station and paying the full ammount.

Corruption is a terrible thing when you don't gain out of it, but when you do gain, it's acceptable.

Obviously you haven't been stopped at a toll gate recently. You're right though, I never complained about 100 or 200 baht when I was speeding. At Lad Krabang toll gate it cost me 2,000 baht and I was innocent. If anything I was going too slow because I had a visiting friend from the US who was VERY nervous in the traffic, so I was taking it slow to try to calm him down. The cop was a hardened professional thief.

You don't pay for the sex, you pay for them to leave ...

Charlie Sheen said that I think.. Very true.

Actually I have done exactly that, refused to hand over 200 Baht to a traffic cop and insissted that he take me to the station. He pretended to write a ticket, but after 5 minutes he gave my license back and told me to go. He is always at the same spot collecting tea money but now when he sees my car he just waves me through. The lesson is that they will not take you to the police station because it takes too much time and energy, and more importantly, it takes away the opportunity for them to collect money from other motorists that are prepared to pay.

You forgot to add 'Police' to the beginning of this topic title, puts it all in perspective. Until Thailand gets a 'Police watchdog' this isn't going to get any better, and frankly no government wants to risk pissing off this strong political ally.

Corruption is the oil that lubricates things in this country, imagine how inefficient immigration or the land department etc would be without the motivation of gratuity.

National Anti-Corruption Commission member, Vicha Mahakhun, said 2,933 complaints filed with the agency were mostly against police officers accusing them of malfeasance and abuse of power but he added that he could hardly be expected to prosecute the accused who were only doing the job they'd signed on the dotted line for.

Why is this sentence different from that in post #1 Surely The admin didn't leave this part of the sentnce out deliberately!!!! :)

It was my feeble attempt at a joke.

Actually I have done exactly that, refused to hand over 200 Baht to a traffic cop and insissted that he take me to the station. He pretended to write a ticket, but after 5 minutes he gave my license back and told me to go. He is always at the same spot collecting tea money but now when he sees my car he just waves me through. The lesson is that they will not take you to the police station because it takes too much time and energy, and more importantly, it takes away the opportunity for them to collect money from other motorists that are prepared to pay.

That's an extreemly good point and very pragmatic.

There is a time when farangs should stick to their principles and not lower themselves to their level.

If you had of opted to go to the station to pay this he may have dropped the price to 500 baht - maybe

It is not human nature at all.

It is part of an engrained system where morals are lacking, laws don't apply, education is not valued, money is god and poverty endemic. Statistically, less than 5% of the populace will own 95+% of the wealth.

Those are the incubatory conditions. Therefore, it is induced not in bred.

Thailand fits the descriptors. End of story.

Sums it up very well. Just one addition, Not enough Thais want to change these malaise , The 95% want to be in the 5%

It is not human nature at all.

It is part of an engrained system where morals are lacking, laws don't apply, education is not valued, money is god and poverty endemic. Statistically, less than 5% of the populace will own 95+% of the wealth.

Those are the incubatory conditions. Therefore, it is induced not in bred.

Thailand fits the descriptors. End of story.

Sums it up very well. Just one addition, Not enough Thais want to change these malaise , The 95% want to be in the 5%

And those who may want to stand no chance of getting any change to the system. The dice is loaded against them

Strange, I recall being it being said once Thaksins was removed from office corruption would decrease, as he was the most corrupt PM (and goverment) in Thailands history. In fact people said that on this very board.

Doh :) Time to wake up and smell the coffee

Strange, I recall being it being said once Thaksins was removed from office corruption would decrease, as he was the most corrupt PM (and goverment) in Thailands history. In fact people said that on this very board.

Doh :) Time to wake up and smell the coffee

Suggest re-reading the OP. It's about police corruption mainly, not about PM's. Monetarily speaking, Thaksin remains the most corrupt PM by far. That's not changed.

Pervasive and diverse corruption in the country remains problematic because of an adversity to doing anything about it. If he had been rotting away in some prison for the past couple of years instead of his global gallivanting around, it might have made an impact on corruption here. Instead of a being a prime example of the fallout for being corrupt, he's a role model for "go ahead and do it, nothing happens."

If there is no deterrence or repercussions for corruption, there's no incentive for people to shun it.

Until such time that there is, corruption will remain rampant.

Neither you nor I have access to the levels of corruption of prime ministers past and present. Almost by definition such league tables are not published

Published dorces in Thailand are not reliable.

But welcome to the forum and enjoy.

^

Otherwise stated as : There is no corruption in the system; corruption is the system.

Yes it permeates all areas of Thai culture/life. There would be many many more complaints if there was even a "remote" possibility of the corruption being looked into. As a Criminology professor stated ," if there is NO punishment, there is NO crime." And there are few sanctions in LOS = land of scams/lack of sanctions.

Pity, the Thai people deserve so much better/more.

I saw one in the Penalty Spot bar in Sukhumvit, ok he wasnt on the take, but he lights up a cigarette has a couple of drags then flicks the ash in the ashtray, then with one tiny speck of ash in there he shouts over the harmless waitress and tells her to clean it whilst he carries on smoking his tab, as if hes some kind of GOD like figure.

Ive never returned as the police are always there apparantly one has a share in it.

How the <deleted> people can say theyre low paid at 8/9k a month is beyond me, as they do absolutely nothing and arent worth the //deleted by admin//

The BIB's base salary might be low but with a badge and a gun some would imagine they make much much more that even an educated Thai. Sad sad sad.

Better yet, have a national search for just one honest person who rose up through the ranks without their hands, their family's hands, or someone elses hands in the big cookie jar of corruption.

I have given up worrying about corruption over here. If Thai people don’t care about it why should I. I am just watching my pocket very well and hope the best for the Thai people

I have asked a number of Thai people a/b corruption. The typical answer is “what can we do”? I thought about this with a heavy heart. It appears that Thai people have no representation or voice. There is a bar – in the lot of an abandoned hotel at the intersection of Thonglor and Petchburi road. The have a history of blasting loud music all through the night and into the next morning. It can be heard for a few sois and people hoping to sleep are forced to “get over it.” Oh did I mention the bar ( I am told) is owned by BIB?

Another apartment building/Hotel has spotlights aimed across Petchburi and into the apartments/homes of Thai people. Their dwellings are light up like it's daylight. Can anything be done???? Who has the power? Certainly not the Thai people.

Corruption comes with the Job of Policemen in Thailand, The Not of the Norm is the Policeman which is not corrupted, Where my wifes family lives in a suburb of Bangkok, The Local policeman who every body is frightened of, Mainly because he struts around without a Uniform on doing exactly what he likes, He takes food from anybodies plate, or Drink from them. He gets drunk on Duty with a gun at his side. So how would a Thai go about making complaint about a corrupt policeman, There life would not be worth living, Because all that would happen is the Corrupt police would be protected by other corrupt police, It has to start at the Top, but then again they are probably Corrupt too.

I had a motorbike stolen and went to the cop shop for some help and more importantly a letter to confirm the bike was stolen for the insurance.

After sitting about for a few hours I was ushered up to a desk where the cop asked what I wanted. I told him my bike had been stolen and needed a letter for the insurance. He said don't you want your bike back? I said of course it's new but what is the chance of that? He said give me 1000 baht Diesel money and I will personally drive to a few places where it could be. I said OK and you give me a letter as well just in-case you don't find it? He said yes.

So I gave him the 1000 baht and he immediately walked away telling me to wait 5 mins. He returned with a shopping bag from 7/11 full of goodies and shared them amongst his colleagues.

He typed me out the letter and said he would call me if he found the bike. He just blagged me for a 1000 baht so he could go to 7/11, not buy Diesel to go find my bike! It was a good one I give him that, cheeky bas%$ard!