Can Uk Citizen Set Up Thai Bank Account Easily?

Hi, I'm going to be in thailand in the next week or so, I was originally going to use my bank credit card to take out funds when necessary but I decided to phone up the bank of thailand offices in london to ask if I could get a bank of thailand account with them instead, and transfer the money from my UK account to my Thai account electronically. It would work out cheaper that way with the rates my bank charges for taking out money!

He told me I cant get one in this country but I can in Thailand as there is paperwork that I need to fill in, that can only be done when in a bank of thailand bank, when im IN thailand......... I'm just double checking that..... i can get a thai bank account easily enough when I come to thailand and im not going to be snookered? Can this be done?

thanks

PS what will the nighttime temps be in northern thailand at this time of year

ta

Edited by joejogs

Easy to get bank accounts but there is regular talk of some bank branches wanting to see non immigrant visas and others wanting to see a residence certificate from the local police or more likely immigration office. I always have these but if you are going only on a 30 day entry stamp then you might have problems at some branches.

i never had trouble opening account,but some people have proplems i think it depends on which bank and branch you go to,i always bring travellers cheques with me now,you can get 500quid ones,and they only cost you 30 baht to change,and the exchange rate is only a small percentage less than the tt rate.and your not stuck with one exchange rate,

Kasikorn are usually farang Friendly, mate opened an account there on a Tourist Visa.

Ive often wondered about this..so where was the Kasikorn branch located?

Have been knocked back many times, and funny thing they've always ask for a work permit instead of all the other stuff mentioned above.

I read the post about how someone said they needed deposit receipts for their apartments in thailand, with a letter from the embassy

Then others saying just a pasport and visa? this is all il have, if it dosnt work would it be easier to do it in cambodia/laos/vietnam, and then come back to thailand and use the card there? or would they charge big % and fees just like a uk bank, when coming back into thailand?

hmmm

Providing you are staying for 3 months or more it should not be aproblem. I found K Bank very good on the web site but not interested when I went to a couple of branches,no one spoke English and they did not want to be bothered,so that is the key, if you can find a bank with English speaking staff,whatever Bank, you should be ok, all I was asked for was an address and passport. I ended up at Bank of Ayudyah, 4 staff happy to practice English. Good luck

Hi Joe

I opened an account with Siam Commercial Bank with just a passport and Non Imm B, very helpful and friendly and have given a good service to me. As to the night time temperatures, I am in the lower North and it is unseasonably hot during the day, therefore a bit warmer at night. I would say low to mid 20's, very comfortable to sit out in if it wasn't for the Mossies, but a smoking coil keeps them at bay.

joejogs - As per a previous post you need to check out the pinned thread at the very top of this forum.

Key to answering your question are the following

What is your visa status, is it just a tourist visa?

Where in Thailand will you be Bangkok? This has an impact on charges.

Do you have assets here i.e. a condo?

Armed with that go through the pinned thread. People with O/OA/1 year/multi entry visas/workpermits have a much easier time of it. On a tourist visa with no local assets you should probably go with GungaDin's suggestion (see thread)

Easy to get bank accounts but there is regular talk of some bank branches wanting to see non immigrant visas and others wanting to see a residence certificate from the local police or more likely immigration office. I always have these but if you are going only on a 30 day entry stamp then you might have problems at some branches.

Only 2 days ago, i walked into a Siam Commercial Bank branch and walked out 10 mins later with a new passbook. Just had to answer a few simple questions present my passport (non immigrant O visa) easy!!!

Kasikorn are usually farang Friendly, mate opened an account there on a Tourist Visa.

Ive often wondered about this..so where was the Kasikorn branch located?

Have been knocked back many times, and funny thing they've always ask for a work permit instead of all the other stuff mentioned above.

Udon Thani

Only 2 days ago, i walked into a Siam Commercial Bank branch and walked out 10 mins later with a new passbook. Just had to answer a few simple questions present my passport (non immigrant O visa) easy!!!

I know my last accounts opened at SCB in Pattaya required a residence certificate from immigration but I don't know whether they wanted a non immigrant visa. I had one and have had for years but I know I opened Bangkok Bank accounts without one, though some yeas ago. I would err on the safe side and get a non immigrant visa if I were going and had the time to organise one.

I've heard of a lot of people having problems with banks. Some people have walked in with nothing and got an account, some people have had everything and still had difficulties.

When I first tried I just had a wad of cash. The middle aged lady seemed to take great pleasure in playing games and having that feeling of power over me. As soon as i got wind of this I just asked to speak to someone in a more senior role and completely undermined her. I either get the account or I don't, no need to try belittling me.

Well in the end I got my account with just my passport and money.

You're a customer who wants to put money in the bank. I know in Thailand customers don't have many rights, but you are still the boss (foreign or otherwise) Use this to your advantage. Also, use the western style aggression of getting things done when in the bank. They don't know how to deal with it so of course they just want you gone.

Joe

There are almost weekly threads on some aspect of opening or running a thai bank account ... just scroll back through a few pages and see for yourself. The main theme is the huge variability between what is said by particular staff, in particular branches, of particular banks, on particular days.

It's pointless stressing about it, just take whatever paperwork + cash you have from one bank to the next along any particular street - and within a few stops you will have your account.

Further and more specific information can be found in my newly released book "Your Investment Guide to Thailand" which is available from the publisher (Silkworm Books) or many larger Thai bookstores.

Cheers

CMB

Edited by chiangmaibruce