aviador88

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did he go ? :D

He was lurking yesdy :D

Yes "HE" was lurking yesterday :D at least while the lurking was good :D

Still alive and kicking. Only the good die young, isn't that the old saying ?

TOT did get their act together at least for now and the connection remains active for 2 hours or more. With "true" I am connected to the 1222 number which I understand is 3 Baht per connection. Last month I just put the dialer on 500 re-dials and managed to get something after 300 or even 350 attempts. Since the number connected but then informed me that: "The remote computer did not answer within the alotted time, your PPP is not recognized by our computer's PPP, (sounds like something a girlfriend told me once :o ) the remote computer is out of service etc", I just kept plodding along. Starting to auto-dial at 4 AM and by the time I got out of the shower around 7, Glory be..... I had a connection. :D

Until I received the phone bill: 200 Baht (basic charge I suppose, I can't read Thai) and 750 Baht for whatever. No explanation, nothing. Since I never ever use the land line for anything but the computer a trip to TOT in Takuapa was in order. I asked the scare crow at the counter, (god do I dislike this woman. I had several run-ins with this farang hating individual) what the additional 750 Baht were for. Her answer: "You play internet". It turned out that I was charged for every connection even though it only resulted in the modem at the other end informing me: "Sorry Charly, not now". Simple arithmetic : 250 re-dials = 750 baht :D

My charity project at the school kept also me hopping , but as I found out I hopped not enough. I think I mentioned that I am attempting to build another house. Man is that going to be a song and dance. I think I will erect a tent at the site in order to observe the goings on 24 hours a day. The "contractor" at the school kept asking for more and more money even though whenever I shoew up there were never more than 3 individuals leaning on their shovels at the site. I left on a business trip to Malaisia for 4 days and that was precisely the time they poured the concrete. Returning I almost fainted. :D What was supposed to be just a concrete road turned out to be an elevated race track 20 cm or more in some places around the football field which in turn became a swimming pool after the recent rains. The company's estimate of 300,000 Baht for "site preparation" consisted of someone distributing the accumulated piles of sand left over from the tsunami and simply pouring the cement on top of it. I belive this guy didn't have a clue what building a road was all about. It is in my humble opinion embarrassing.

If I had the money, I would have it torn up, get someone with "real" equipment and start all over again. Well, what's done is done. Halve a million Baht wasted, as far as I am concerned. The learning curve steepens :D

And Yes, the washing machine guy has NOT shown up as yet :D

Greetings the ol' Captain.

Yes "HE" was lurking yesterday  :D at least while the lurking was good :D

Still alive and kicking. Only the good die young, isn't that the old saying ?

TOT did get their act together at least for now and the connection remains active for 2 hours or more. With "true" I am connected to the 1222 number which I understand is 3 Baht per connection. Last month I just put the dialer on 500 re-dials and managed to get something after 300 or even 350 attempts. Since the number connected but then informed me that: "The remote computer did not answer within the alotted time, your PPP is not recognized by our computer's PPP, (sounds like something a girlfriend told me once  :o ) the remote computer is out of service etc", I just kept plodding along. Starting to auto-dial at 4 AM and by the time  I got out of the shower around 7, Glory be..... I had a connection. :D

Until I received the phone bill: 200 Baht (basic charge I suppose, I can't read Thai) and 750 Baht for whatever. No explanation, nothing. Since I never ever use the land line for anything but the computer a trip to TOT in Takuapa was in order. I asked  the scare crow at the counter, (god do I dislike this woman. I had several run-ins with this farang hating individual) what the additional 750 Baht were for. Her answer: "You play internet".  It turned out that I was charged for every connection even though it only resulted in the modem at the other end informing me: "Sorry Charly, not now". Simple arithmetic : 250 re-dials = 750 baht    :D

My charity project at the school kept also me hopping , but as I found out I hopped not enough. I think I mentioned that I am attempting to build another house. Man is that going to be a song and dance. I think I will erect a tent at the site in order to observe the goings on 24 hours a day. The "contractor" at the school  kept asking for more and more money even though whenever I shoew up there were never more than 3 individuals leaning on their shovels at the site. I left on a business trip to Malaisia for 4 days and that was precisely the time they poured the concrete. Returning I almost fainted. :D  What was supposed to be just a concrete road turned out to be an elevated race track 20 cm or more in some places around the football field which in turn became a swimming pool after the recent rains. The company's estimate of 300,000 Baht for "site preparation" consisted of someone distributing the accumulated piles of sand left over from the tsunami and simply pouring the cement on top of it. I  belive this guy didn't have a clue what building a road was all about. It is in my humble opinion embarrassing.

If I had the money, I would have it torn up, get someone with "real" equipment and start all over again. Well, what's done is done. Halve a million Baht wasted, as far as I am concerned.  The learning curve steepens :D

And Yes, the washing machine guy has NOT shown up as yet  :D

Greetings the ol' Captain.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
Cap'n, time for an update? :D

If you insist, :D although not much has happened.

My project to replace the tsunami damaged driveway at the Baniang school is done. Well, they stopped working and tell me they are finished. As far as I am concerned; Not by a long shot.

The original estimate submitted by the contractor called for:

Site clearing and preparation: Labor cost: 32,880 Bht

Back filling and compacting: Labor cost: 45,000 Bht

Total: 77,880 Bht.

3 guys at 250 Baht per day??, (which is I think the going rate)

Anyway, the driveway is not a glowing example of Thai expertise and workmanship. :D

Building a house. Well, the first guy to submit some plans was the same fellow who also did the driveway-job. I was not thrilled with any of the floor plans and in light of what happened at the school-job, he was on my sh***t list anyway. Sorry Charley. :D

Number 2 “Architect” missed 4 appointments within a 2 week period without an explanation, leaving me sitting home all day picking my nose. :D

Number 3 showed up 2 days ago, had some nice plans. It will be interesting to see how expedient he will be. I will probably have to hire a guard to watch the site, because at several construction projects here, building material disappears overnight, except at the beaches, because of signs posted in Thai, proclaiming that ghosts are patrolling the area. :o

I received a telephone call from TOT Friday, asking me, if my telephone worked. What ? It appears to be working, because how else would I be able to talk to you ? “Oh, cop koon kaaaaah“, purred the chick at the other end. The line went dead again that evening and did not come to life again until last night. Punishment for being a wise guy, I suppose. :D

I pre-paid TT&T for SDSL 5 weeks ago, nobody has shown up as yet either.

I gave up on the first washing machine mensch and called another one 3 weeks ago. Not a sign of him also.

All I a day’s work in the LOS.

Cheers, the ol’ Capt.

Have to say I do enjoy the Captains very entertaining prose.

Im back in Phuket next month & sort of dredding what Im going to find with the 2nd house I bought almost opposite the one I live in now. I set about hiring the people to renovate it when I was there in February & has since been finished at a higher cost than was estimated which I kind of expected but I just hope the work is up the the standard that I wanted. Maybe wishful thinking but we will see.

The washing machine had boken down about 4 weeks ago & the Girlfriend had the good sense to look through the draws & seek out the reciept. She rang the shop & they came & took it away saying they had to order a part Blah Blah. Anyway it has come back just recentley and seems to be working OK. Mmmmmmm I wonder.

There are other issues I would like to share with you but bed is waiting for me.

Good Wishes to you all.

:o

Crap service. :D

It isn't just Thailand.

I just called Bing Lee in SYD to order a Sandisk 12 in 1 card reader, $49.95

BL Sorry, no stock....

ME Can you get one in for me?

BL Yes, but you will have to pay $35 + GST for freight.

ME HUH?..... <deleted> are you talking about, it weighs just a few ounces?

ME can't they put it in a Jiffy bag and post it registered?

BL Sorry, company policy....... ( :o )

Fok Bing Lee.... I called a co in North Sydney and will pick it up on Friday arvo.....

Cap'n, time for an update? :o

Just a word of warning in that with the cheaper TOT and TT&T home packages no one will come.. Self install is the small rpint..

You have to supply and confugure your own ADSL modem (and they forget to give you the config details and TOT actually gave me totally wrong sign in details !!!!).. When these were expensive packages they used to send out an engineer to set it up for you but not any more with the cheapies..

Cap'n, time for an update? :D

Just a word of warning in that with the cheaper TOT and TT&T home packages no one will come.. Self install is the small rpint..

You have to supply and confugure your own ADSL modem (and they forget to give you the config details and TOT actually gave me totally wrong sign in details !!!!).. When these were expensive packages they used to send out an engineer to set it up for you but not any more with the cheapies..

I have 2 TOT ADSL modems which I bought, laying around. One was struck by lightning and repaired under warrantee :D after I purchases a second one. I was quite satisfied wit TOT's ADSL, but the Tsunami changed everything. I wanted to try TT&T just to see if there was a difference.

After 6 months, TOT still hasn't gotten their act together with even the basic phone service. (It was out again for 20 hours over the weekend but the bills keep coming) They should pay me for all the aggravation. :D

TOT's program is still on my hard drive and I would like nothing better than just to have it, vs the 17.5 kb/sec right now with "TRUE".

Oh well, LOS and no reason to get pissed, (my lips are blue from chewing) so they keep telling me. :o Greets the ol' Capt.

As a matter of interest guys,Im bringing my cheap Laptop with me next month and Ive only got normal phone line in the house for Dial Up.

Whats the best Pay As You Go deal at the moment as I dont want anymore monthly bills.

Reading the above posts I guess reliability would be a factor as well but then again it might not!!! :o

As a matter of interest guys,Im bringing my cheap Laptop with me next month and Ive only got normal phone line in the house for Dial Up.

Whats the best Pay As You Go deal at the moment as I dont want anymore monthly bills.

Reading the above posts I guess reliability would be a factor as well but then again it might not!!! :o

Try TT&T you can connect for 335 Baht for 1 month unlimited hours but they cut off about every 3 hours. Sometimes more often if you have a bad conection.

Shark bite cards are 215 for 30 days I think..

The sanook cards provide no SMTP server so watch out for that..

I have been lucky with "true". 400 some baht (don't remember the exact amount) 30 days unlimited, although 1222 number only 3 baht per "Connectionon", if it weren't for TOT's "sheytie" service. :D The bitch in Takuapa loves to see 300 or so re-connects per month. (sometimes every 2 minutes) "You play internet, you must pay" she bleeps. :o

PS, regarding "Sheyty" I hope the computer overlooks my camouflaged scriptual transgression for excrement. I posted something recently using the "H" word. (Hölle in German, invierno in Spanish), but heck, why can't I use that word?? The local religion doesn't even believe in such a place.

Greets, the ol" Capt. still coping :D

Captain, I have to say that whilst I sympathise with some of your problems........I have to confess that on the whole I have had a h*ll (thats 1 way to express your H word) of a laugh at your expense! :D !

I don't think I have ever met a person who has suffered such continuing catastophes as you! :o !

Yet you remain cheerful and optimistic.......... :D

Keep up the posts and Chok Dee with your new life! :D

Captain, I have to say that whilst I sympathise with some of your problems........I have to confess that on the whole I have had a h*ll (thats 1 way to express your H word) of a laugh at your expense! :D !

I don't think I have ever met a person who has suffered such continuing catastophes as you! :o !

Yet you remain cheerful and optimistic.......... :D

Keep up the posts and Chok Dee with your new life! :D

Thank you, but as "mi sainted motthurr used to soy" (had she been Irish) which she wasn't. :D

"Never go to bed with bad thoughts", a philosophy I have adhered to all my life. Mañana será un otro día (tomorrow is another day) is someting I learned from the people in South America. I awoke this morning and said: "Hey I am still alive and kicking." Even the ants waved HALLO

See my post about the ants.

Greets the ol' Capt.

Hi Aviador !

Just one question.....why are you Aviador and not Aviator ???  :o

mini

Ps - My fiance is also a pilot .....he calls himself Aviator :D  !! 

Your fiance was probably the person who took the nik before I could :D

Even the spanish version by itself was taken with Yahoo, hence the 88. The other plain aviador worked with mail.com. I could have tried aviator there as well, but it would have been confusing. Kapitän would have been cute, but I wasn't sure the umlaut would work.

Saludos del país de los sonrisas, el Captán viejo :D

H ell is a very, very, naughty word in Georges book  :D

Even though he has an advance booking for the next life :D

I won't take the bait ...... :D

Do you think you could get G to reply or even open his PMs?

cheers

Now, now boys. :D

How did we get from bitching about incompetent or non existent repair persons into philosphical opinions as to what awaits us in the hereafter ? I respect everybody's believe, even the stupid notion hereabouts, about people who believe in ghosts. Rumor has it, that there are ghosts of the misssing 1200 foreigners still haunting the beaches in Khao Lak, Khuck Khak and Ban Sak, impeding the employment of local Thais ( as well at the Burmese) who won't go near the places. :o

Anyway:

An engineer died, went to heaven, only to have St. Peter refuse him admission. Naturally, the only alternative was H..ell :D

As was customary, God would call Belzebub occasionally, just to see how thing are going "down there". :D

"Oh," said the King of darkness, "I meant to call you. Thanks for sending this engineer down here. He installed air conditioning, music systems and satellite TV."

"Wait", said God. "I just checked. There was mistake. He should not be down there. Send him up here as soon as possible".

"No way", was the evil one's answer. "Who knows what he will come up with next."

Now the Lord got angry. "If you don't send him up here pronto, I will sue."

"Oh yea "??? said the Devil." Where are YOU going to get a Lawyer" :D

By the way, the washing mashine repairman hasn't shown up yet :D

Greets the ol' Capt.

In keeping with the thread:

TOT’s bill for May arrived today. Always a joyous occasion and the reason to keep several antacid tablets handy prior to opening.

Everything of non-importance is in Thai as well as English, like previous balance, paid amount, and post -bill adjustment (whatever that is) All that is missing is a smiley to really rub it in how they screwed me the month before. :D

The left side, first line contains the current charges (all in Thai), with the exception of something in parenthesis (M2) Beats me what that is. Well, it’s only 200 Baht, so be it.

Second line all hieroglyphics: 1,557.00 Baht,

Next line, ditto: 18.00 Baht,

Last but not least ditto but

(Audiotex) ?? behind it: 6.00 Baht

VAT 7%: 124.67 Baht

Grand total: 1,905.67 Baht

My Thai friend tells me the above represents “LOCAL CALLS” placed from my Telephone. I know for a fact that there were absolutely no calls made from my phone, because I don’t even have a handset hooked up to it :D . I use the line strictly for the computer.

I can just see the old bitch in Takuapa telling me again: “You play internet, you must pay”. :D

I use “TRUE” as an ISP which uses the 1222 number and pay, I think 480 Baht for 30 days unlimited access.

Last month the line was more dead than alive, in fact between the 15th and 21st I had no more than perhaps 2 days on uninterrupted service. At one point there was nothing for an entire weekend. :D Whenever I did manage to get a dial tone, I was rudely interrupted every 10 or 15 minutes, because the line went silent again. :o

Assuming, (I know assume makes an ass out of you and me :>) but in reality, at 3 Baht per connection I figured I would have to have been re-connecting 519 times ? IMPOSSIBLE

Even if it were true, it means that I am paying 2,385.67 Baht a month for the privilege of lightning speed dial-up with: (let’s see 15.9 kb/sec at this moment while I am posting this here.) Asinine !!!! :D

Hand me another antacid and pour me a stiff glass of Johnny Walker Black label.

TOT’s logo should read: Bend over, we’ll drive you home. :D

P.S.

Frank Sinatra once sang a song about New York, where he says: "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere"..........

Well I lived in New York for 20 years :D

Greets the ol' Capt.