Beware Of New Skype Update

Meridian007

I just want to warn all of you, it looks like Skype is automatically installing things without asking you in their new update. I just started up Skype, (I don't let it autostart with XP), and it immediately started updating itself, which I don't mind. The problem is that I then realized that a new "program" called The Browser Highlighter had been installed, along with plugins to Firefox, without my permission!

I saw in task manager that a bunch of new programs were running, and seemed to be based in TBHmonitor.exe and TBHdaemon.exe. It had also added itself in the list of start up apps when windows starts, and installed itself as a plugin in Firefox. This pissed me off so I searched and destroyed all the .exe files that had the TBH prefix. That seems to have removed it, (except for the plugin, which I removed within Firefox)

There wasn't even a option to accept the update, (along with these "extras"), it just did it. I've turned off Skype's auto-update, and won't let it do that again. They've lost my trust, and I think I'll start looking for another VOIP provider after my credit runs out with them, this is unforgivable!

Thanks for the heads up.

I see 'The Browser Highlighter' is actually an eBay "tool"

I quite agree that these things should not be installed without asking, and those of us on limited bandwidth or people with older PC's do not want our precious bytes being used to go searching for unwanted information.

If I want to search for a link to something on a web page, I am quite capable of doing it myself. Especially with this Firefox extension installed.

The good news is that this malware only works in Windoze, so will serve to hasten my full time move to Linux

Also, the latest SKYPE update hangs up with dual processor MacBooks. So far, its the only program I have ever have problems with. Problem comes in often when you start or end SKYPE. It goes to never-never land and you have to Force Quit. Must be all the extra baggage causing the problems.

Also, the latest SKYPE update hangs up with dual processor MacBooks. So far, its the only program I have ever have problems with. Problem comes in often when you start or end SKYPE. It goes to never-never land and you have to Force Quit. Must be all the extra baggage causing the problems.

I've had no problems with Skype on a Mac. I'm using it on a Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, and iMac without any hangs or crashes that I can recall. I think the Skye for Mac UI is much cleaner looking and less "baggage ridden" than the Windows version as well.

No problems with call quality either. It's as clear as ever, although of course that will degrade if you do not have a reasonably fast connection. I've been using a jailbreak hack that allows me to use Skype via EDGE on my iPhone, and I'm being told that call quality (SkypeOut) is better than direct dial IDD. One caveat there, however: not all EDGE connections on AIS are fast enough to support voice calls. I find this particularly true in high use areas such as at the airport. One day in my dreams, perhaps Thailand too will have 3G..... :)

Edited by bubba

Anyone know a good alternative to Skype? Skype seems to be going down the drains... not just the crapware, call quality seems to be really bad of late too (and it's not my connection).

There are numerous other VOIP systems. Here are just a few. The problem is persuading all your friends to change.

If you go to the SIP protocol then many companies support this and are compatable with each other.

For PC to phone I get good results from VOIPCheap which is much cheaper than Skype for UK calls - free for 90 days after buying 10 Euro credit

Edited by thaimite

What new update are you talking about? Their website is still showing version 4.1.0.179 that was released back on October 12. If I remember way back then, it was quite easy to opt out of all the additional crapware they wanted to install. But I will keep a look out for anything they try to slip past me on any new update, as I have to do with just about all of the Windows freeware I use.

I like Skype, and they even support Linux!

This is nothing new, the browser plugin has been there for at least a year, and also the "highlighter". The plugin can be removed from Firefox, the highlighter from windows add/remove programs. Annoying nevertheless of course.

Edited by Phil Conners

Anyone know a good alternative to Skype? Skype seems to be going down the drains... not just the crapware, call quality seems to be really bad of late too (and it's not my connection).

I use Yahoo most of the time, though that's still rather infrequently, and have no complaints. Rates to the USA are cheaper than Skype too.