Thailand Local Minimum Wage Raised

webfact

Local minimum wage raised Bt1-Bt8

By The Nation

Thai workers across the country are enjoying a pay rise as official minimum wages have been increased by Bt1-Bt8 per day depending on the zones.

The Central Wage Committee today approved a rise in 71 provinces, having workers in Ayutthaya enjoying the biggest increase and workers in seven provinces receiving only Bt1.

After a 2-hour discussion, the committee at its third meeting based the decision on the different levels of costs of living across the country and the inflation rate of 5 per cent.

Workers in Ayutthaya where a large number of industrial plants are located will see their minimum daily wage raised from Bt173 to Bt181.

The Cabinet will consider the new minimum wage, which will be effective on January 1 as a New Year gift to all workers.

Samart Angwarawong, honourary chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries Khon Kaen where the minimum wage is raised Bt3 to Bt157, opposed to the move, saying that it would hit the economy. He noted that though overall economic outlook is brighter, the bullishness is concentrated in some areas.

"Bangkok and peripheral provinces would be the first to feel the pinch from any crisis, but the impacts would be seen here in Khon Kaen a year later. Vice versa, when Bangkok and peripheral provinces see improvement, it would take a year for Khon Kaen. Right now, people here tighten their belt," he said.

He noted that some employers may affect employment in the province, and the wage increase may lead to layoffs.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend's daughter works at KFC here in Bangkok. She gets 27 baht per hour. An 8 hour shift = 216 baht. She's lucky. Air-con atmosphere, relatively light work.

Meanwhile, up on the farm another friend's daughter is pitching in on the rice fields. Work begins about 6 a.m. and finishes at dark (approx 6 pm). HARD work comparatively, open to the whims of the environment, bent over most of the day. She gets 90 baht per day (and that's regarded as decent).

Meanwhile, a hand-full of filthy-rich well-fed rice baron's meet in a shop in Bkk's chinatown every week (as they've done so for years) and decide rice prices over a nice meal (whilst their drivers polish their mercs out side...)

Wages and standards (along with costs) will have to rise in Thailand and I for one would gratefully pay more (if it went to advance or better the lot of the worker).

A friend's daughter works at KFC here in Bangkok. She gets 27 baht per hour. An 8 hour shift = 216 baht. She's lucky. Air-con atmosphere, relatively light work.

Meanwhile, up on the farm another friend's daughter is pitching in on the rice fields. Work begins about 6 a.m. and finishes at dark (approx 6 pm). HARD work comparatively, open to the whims of the environment, bent over most of the day. She gets 90 baht per day (and that's regarded as decent).

Meanwhile, a hand-full of filthy-rich well-fed rice baron's meet in a shop in Bkk's chinatown every week (as they've done so for years) and decide rice prices over a nice meal (whilst their drivers polish their mercs out side...)

Wages and standards (along with costs) will have to rise in Thailand and I for one would gratefully pay more (if it went to advance or better the lot of the worker).

Something to consider then when you compare what this current government is doing for the Thai people. At least you are not trying to blame it on Thaksin

The fact is no past or probably future government of any party- in the short or medium term - is going to take on the mercedesd driving elite.

1% of <deleted> all...is <deleted> all.

Percentage pay rises are used for just the opposite.... to keep the raise low and the low paid in that place ("that" is intentional).

Once you know how money is made and who controls it, you dont need to be a Nobel prize winning Economist to work out who is doing the exploiting.

You will though if interested have to investigate the information,.....revelation is the word that comes to mind.

Issan was given a very small taste of political influence under Taksin, I doubt the powers in Bangkok will open that Pandoras box, it'd be better to keep them in there place tied to the rice fields for generation after generation after generation.

60 Baht a day in the year 2009, they ARE Slaves...it makes me sick!

Most of those 60 baht wage slaves have a roof over their head. In the US, many minimum wage workers are homeless. Its not the wage so much as the total economic environment.

Agreed, for I have been tent-domiciled in a caravan park and still working 50 hours a week lifting bullshit for middle-class garden manure before, and have long said that I would rather be a rich person in a poor country than a poor person in a frigging bloody rich country, so I reckon this news thread gets my Christmas vote as thread of the day, or more.

After reading this thread earlier this afternoon before going out and spending 1200 thb at three different karaoke bars within good long walking distance from this terminal, I did mention to a friend who was keen on a Marlboro to celebrate Christmas that 20 ciggies set me back 72 THB at the minimart, right beside a rice-field where people get paid 60 thb for twelve hours' hard labour.

Cigarettes are too expensive or basic wages are too low. Merry Christmas human beings.

Something to consider then when you compare what this current government is doing for the Thai people. At least you are not trying to blame it on Thaksin

The fact is no past or probably future government of any party- in the short or medium term - is going to take on the mercedesd driving elite.

Which 'elite' are you referring to? The bond slave-esque 'owners' or??

I won't 'blame' it on His Excellency, the Honourable Mr Thaksin. There's enough blame to go around.

However, it was Mr Thaksin's various govt's 'perfection' of systemically favouring connected TRT (Thai Rak Thaksin-Thaksin Rak Baht) pui yai's & rice miller's (you know, the one's who pay their 'grateful' bond-slaves a pittance for a right to subsist and serve their 'masters') far, far, far under the 'artificially' designated/back-handing price, all subsidised via fudget-budgets- with the Bkk Chinatown cartel never, EVER losing in the back-handing (and laughing) scheme, yet to great unknowing/kow-towing populace applause.

Meanwhile, back in Bkk's Chinatown, smiles, shiny mercs, full tummy's/off-shore accounts and back-handing wais all round.

One should reap what one sows but the prime vote-growing (fiefdom) region of Isaan constantly gets left with the shaft... (and the TRT, PPP, PTP and 'HE' Thaksin= LOL)

This IS a travesty (which some apparently wish to see perpetuated, at any cost, as long as it benefits THEMSELVES) :)

Edited by baht&sold

They will never change the STATUS QUO in our livetimes they love the rich getting richer and keep the poor in their place.No matter who runs the country.At least Thaksin sturred the pot a little and now he is everyones wipping boy.

Hardy 1943, YES His Excellency Mr Thaksin stirred the pot (for HIS ultimate benefit) but please do not edit my post to make it appear as my statement, as it was YOURS. Perhaps this is too much to ask of a Thaksin arse kisser.

PS: YOU said" "they love the rich getting richer" Now that is RICH, as in 'His Excellence' Mr Thaksin....

Edited by baht&sold

Most of those 60 baht wage slaves have a roof over their head. In the US, many minimum wage workers are homeless. Its not the wage so much as the total economic environment.

Would that be a banana frond and rice straw roof that is infested with creepy-crawlies and is never waterproof or did you have something else in mind? Maybe one of those oh so attractive and super contemporary rusty corrugated ones that produce such a nice tone when it rains?

Do you really believe that if the economy was booming then the minimum wage rise would be in double figures? I certainly don't.

Ten years ago most gave their golf caddies a 200 baht tip. That still seems to be the going amount presently. Many farangs need to put their own house in order.

A revolution would be very inconvenient right now but since these people cannot vote themselves out of this mess, what choices do they have? With a 50 million to 14 million person advantage, certainly they could physically gain back control. Or are they too lazy to mess with it as is counted on by those meeting today in China Town?

The current government has done a great deal to positiviely affect the life of rural workers. Perhaps the most impactful thing (and the thing they are bravest for taking on) is the implementation of a national property tax, with the revenue going to local administrations to manage for local improvements, etc. This has the potential to be a huge gain for local communities, and the cabinet is set to consider this proposal this week I believe.

i know gals who bend over for way more ThaN 90 baht a day. more lIke 4000 baht a day. its all in how one takes advantage of what talents god gives a particular person.

i personally would give the friends daughter 40 baht a day so she can look for better work!

It's a bit of a sick joke that the minimum wage wouldn't even cover the cost of seeing the new Avatar movie in 3D in my Isaan town. I don't exactly consider having the purchasing power to watch a simple film to be in the same league as eating a Kobe and Italian White Alba truffle burger while steering your Lamborghini Murciealago down Rajadamri.

Folks on the minimum wage here aren't living. They're existing.

The current government has done a great deal to positiviely affect the life of rural workers. Perhaps the most impactful thing (and the thing they are bravest for taking on) is the implementation of a national property tax, with the revenue going to local administrations to manage for local improvements, etc. This has the potential to be a huge gain for local communities, and the cabinet is set to consider this proposal this week I believe.

Firstly, what you refer to is being TALKED about. It has not and probably will not happen - like most of these initiatives in Thailand

This government, as with past and future governments of any party, will not take on the elite to make things fairer for Thai people. Some may want to. But no one will be able to.

For Jingthing to compare a 60 baht wage with living conditions in America is absurd. Heaven knows what he is really trying to say, nothing that could help the average Thai or the system here for sure.

Baht and Sold rose to the bait and said he was not blaming Thaksin then went on to do precisely that. He did not address the plight of low wages here either.

This is really funny for us Farang to be critical of the system, when we are all moving over here because of low cost. And low wages is way the cost for us so low.

u very smart man!

i dont think too many farangs will appreciate seeing their bowl of rice going up half a baht. even if it meant more for the pickers of rice.

i know gals who bend over for way more ThaN 90 baht a day. more lIke 4000 baht a day. its all in how one takes advantage of what talents god gives a particular person.

i personally would give the friends daughter 40 baht a day so she can look for better work!

yeah right, sure you would. help her escape poverty by becoming a sex worker, one of the gals. :)

A revolution would be very inconvenient right now but since these people cannot vote themselves out of this mess, what choices do they have? With a 50 million to 14 million person advantage, certainly they could physically gain back control. Or are they too lazy to mess with it as is counted on by those meeting today in China Town?

Thailand is still better off than three out of four of its neighbouring countries. What would a revolution accomplish? Nothing.

I for one didnt move to Thailand because of low cost, although obviously i do benifit from it, I was fortunate enough to be hired in the UK as a Western Expat working for a Multi-National.

Poverty is relative, Poor in the UK doesnt necessarily mean no roof over your head and no food in your stomach.

In the UK our Grand parents, our parents, our peers and immediate family have been indoctrinated with consumerism since they could barely walk and now 95% of parents are grooming the next generation of galloping consumers eagerly awaiting the next model iPhone or Nike trainers is the crux of the problem.

Most people i know work long hours are mortgaged up to the hilt in a house/neaghbourhood above what they can afford, have a nice TV, an Xbox nice clothes, car etc but cannot afford to go out more than once a week or even once a month, so they sit indoors surrounded by there possesions.....this is a form of slavery as they too are existing and poor but in a different way.

Current economic "theory" is that an economy has to grow, it can only do that with increased spending by consumers, no spending consumers equals depressed economy.....however the systems been fixed that way.

If people bought what they need and not what they want ALL taxes (stealth, direct and indirect taxes) would only account for 20% of the Government take out of peoples salaries to cover ALL UK Government expenditure.

The other 30% is to pay back interest to the Governments hidden masters the Banks themselves, who have the current tax payer and the future generations to come as the gaurantee for the loans.....for ever!

If the Thai Government didnt have to pay over the top interest (immoral interest) to the banks, there may be a chance that there would be more left in the pot (if the Bangkok Mafiosos didnt get there grubby hands on it) for real alleviation of poverty mainly in the Countryside.

But the motivation and aspiration has to be there to challenge the current system.

Would that be a banana frond and rice straw roof that is infested with creepy-crawlies and is never waterproof or did you have something else in mind? Maybe one of those oh so attractive and super contemporary rusty corrugated ones that produce such a nice tone when it rains?

Do you really believe that if the economy was booming then the minimum wage rise would be in double figures? I certainly don't.

Ten years ago most gave their golf caddies a 200 baht tip. That still seems to be the going amount presently. Many farangs need to put their own house in order.

I think it is obvious that being a poor person among a mass of poor people in a poor region with a strong family community is less painful than being poor in a rich country, where poor people are demonized. Try building one of the kinds of structures you speak of in a western country, and there is a good chance your poverty would be criminalized. At least in a poor country, being poor itself is not a crime.

The problem is, paying more will not necessarily better the lot of the workers. The workers are paid by the farmers, who are paid by the local rice buyers, who are paid by the mills. A farmer will generally pay what he can afford, which is more than 90 baht a day in our area. A local rice buyer will pay the farmer slightly lower than what he will get from the rice millers. The rice millers pay as low as they feel they can. The rest is their profit. To suggest that a poor farmer, living side by side with the rice cutters, is ripping them off is absurd.

The growing abundance of mechanical harvesters must also be added to the chain. They charge 600 baht a rai here, do the job a lot quicker and more efficiently than manual workers, and also thresh it - which is another cost the farmer has if he uses manual labour. In many areas, the manual workers are used only for small, oddly shaped, or tree grown fields. If they want to work the larger fields they must price themselves to be competitive with the mechanical harversters.

This system (the mechanical harvesters apart) has carried on well before Thaksin, continued through his years in charge - despite all the cries of the good he did for the rural poor, and continues to this day. The current government - despite the cries from the same Thaksin supporters that it does, and has achieved, nothing - offers a guaranteed minimum price per kilo, meaning that those debt affected farmers needing to sell their rice immediately are not ripped off by the chain of buyers (the rich at the top know that every year a large number of farmers have to sell their rice immediately after the harvest, and so the price is lowered to take advantage of them). Maybe it would be better for the government to cut the profits of those at the top and share them with those at the bottom, rather than forking out its own money to slightly better the poor while maintaining the wealth of the rich, but it's a start. Besides which, the current system is capitalism in the best tradition of bailing out the bankers, and we know what happened to another country in the region when it said enough with capitalism.

And it's not only in Thailand. How much do you pay for a pair of Nike shoes? How much do the workers in their factories in the third world get from that? Nike will tell you they make their shoes in locations with cheap labour so they can cut costs, so why do they cost more than anyone elses? Where does the saved money go? Not to the workers, not to the consumers. Some to Tiger Woods and his like, yeah, they really need the money, the rest to the Nike equivalents of the well-fed rice barons. I'm not anti capitalist, and definitely not pro socialist, I've done very well out of the capitalist system thank you. But it does seem as if there's a layer, below which the trickle down effect stops trickling and turns into a dribble.

Edited by ballpoint

I'm not anti capitalist, and definitely not pro socialist, I've done very well out of the capitalist system thank you. But it does seem as if there's a layer, below which the trickle down effect stops trickling and turns into a dribble.

What percentage of the children of rice farm workers do you reckon have a realistic chance of escaping a life of poverty (other than by the routes of lotter ticket or lottery farang)? We who have done well mostly were born into these opportunities.

I'm not anti capitalist, and definitely not pro socialist, I've done very well out of the capitalist system thank you. But it does seem as if there's a layer, below which the trickle down effect stops trickling and turns into a dribble.

What percentage of the children of rice farm workers do you reckon have a realistic chance of escaping a life of poverty (other than by the routes of lotter ticket or lottery farang)? We who have done well mostly were born into these opportunities.

Are you suggesting that what I (or others may have) was given to us, OR that by being born in the country we were born in has allowed these opportunities?

Up here in Central where I live labourers are normally paid around 180 baht a day starting around 8 and finishing around 5.30 to 6 pm with a lunch break.

When I get people in to work for me that is what I pay and I usually give them lunch plus a big cooler with ice and water.