Ellis Pizza & Pasta

flip

Italian food is the world's favourite

Green, where did you come up with that little gem? I believe, by sheer bulk of population that Chinese then Indian are the "world's favorites". I think you'd be hard pressed to prove Italian is even "the favorite" of the western world...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder where the name Ellis comes from as it doesn't sound Italian to me. Is it up the Soi that runs into Nikita Bar with the 7/11 on the corner?

No the name is not of Italian origin.

Ellis is one of several popular names in medeival England derived from the Hebrew personal name "Elijah," or the Greek "Elias," meaning 'Jehova is God.' 

Surname Origin: Hebrew, Greek, Medieval

Alternate Surname Spellings: ELIS

Edited by bellste

Green, where did you come up with that little gem? I believe, by sheer bulk of population that Chinese then Indian are the "world's favorites". I think you'd be hard pressed to prove Italian is even "the favorite" of the western world...

obviously....I mean for people that knows the difference from "eat to live" (as the vast majority of indians and chinese) and "enyoi and be able to appreciate the food"...

Throughout the world's people eat but only a few Countries have a "cuisine" worthy of the name (sure not England or USA or Sweden...etc etc...IMHO. :)

Throughout the world's people eat but only a few Countries have a "cuisine" worthy of the name (sure not England or USA or Sweden...etc etc...IMHO. :D

Green... China and India had what you snootily refer to as "cuisine" before Italy was even civilized... but it IS your old-school, euro-centric humble opinion after all... :):D :D

obviously....I mean for people that knows the difference from "eat to live" (as the vast majority of indians and chinese) and "enyoi and be able to appreciate the food"...

Throughout the world's people eat but only a few Countries have a "cuisine" worthy of the name (sure not England or USA or Sweden...etc etc...IMHO. :D

I bet there are more Indian and Chinese restaurants in the world than Italian. And people go there to enjoy food, all over the world, not only for survival.

I do like Italian food, as i do like Chinese and Indian. Quality food.

I guess you know very little about English, American or Swedish cuisine, but thats your problem :) They all have highlights

Green... China and India had what you snootily refer to as "cuisine" before Italy was even civilized... but it IS your old-school, euro-centric humble opinion after all... :):D:D

Agree.....but even the England once had an Empire.....I'm talking about the "cuisine" today...not 2 or 3 thousand years ago.

My personal list sees first place is on a par: Italy, France, Spain

Second row: Japan, Perù, China

Third row: India, Greek, Thailand

I bet there are more Indian and Chinese restaurants in the world than Italian. And people go there to enjoy food, all over the world, not only for survival.

I do like Italian food, as i do like Chinese and Indian. Quality food.

I guess you know very little about English, American or Swedish cuisine, but thats your problem :) They all have highlights

I spent six months in the U.S. and more than 18 months between Sweden and England...believe me: I tried everything because I'm curious. Sure there are some wonderful higlights...but so few dishes don't make a "cuisine"... sorry.

Edited by greenwater

I've tried Ellis Pizza & Pasta a few times now for both takeaway & eat in and can give my opinion on the food alone: that I really enjoyed the pizza & the pasta bolognaise (duck), however... the buttery sauces I tried with pasta & gnocchi... not so good because they tasted like margarine was used instead of butter, which gave the flavour of the sauces a strange taste.

Has anybody else found the same with regard to the buttery sauces?

So you grow Fenugreek,Cardamon,Cumin,Asafoetida in your garden then.If so i will buy it from you .Obviously you know very little about Indian spices.

This reply is for starkey rich and so I apologise, once again, for going off topic.

I think it might be wise, starkey rich, on an anonymous forum such as this, not to make assumptions about people whom you have not met, and about whom you know nothing.

Food, more specifically Asian food, has been my life and my living for the past 40 years so I think I know something about the subject.

However, to answer your points:

We grow ginger, mint, coriander and curry leaves and, of course, lots of fresh chillies.

Cumin seeds are easily available here. Even Tops sells them and the fresh leaves from the plant are available in the market most days.

Fenugreek grows perfectly well here. I have grown it in my garden, but I don't particularly like the pungent, lingering smell and neither does my Thai wife!

Asafoetida is only used in minute quantities, so a small packet would last a very long time. Cardamon seeds are also available, although, admittedly not the same as the Indian small green ones.

It was the idea that you have to ship this stuff down from Bangkok, and that somehow this constituted a major expense, that I was questioning.

The most important ingredients for Indian food namely, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, fresh chillies, fresh coriander, onions, garlic, ginger are not only widely available they are, naturally, of the highest quality. I buy most of my dry spices from an old shop in Phuket Town where they are both cheap and wonderfully fresh.

So, as far as I can see, the only two items you would need to “ship down from Bangkok,” would be asafoetida, and good quality green cardamoms.

Actually, I have a problem obtaining large, black mustard seeds. So if you know where to get them let me know and, maybe for once, we farangs could be mutually supportive instead of constantly trying to score points off each other.

mrjohn I will reply in the Indian restaurant thread to keep everyone happy

• Like 1

Lee got us two take out pizzas from Ellis the other night. Fed him bruchetta and water while he waited.

Best pizza ive had in a hel_l of a long time. Thin and crispy, not to much tomato and cheese, with a smattering of capers ,olives and anchovies.YYYYYUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYY

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Went all the way down to Ellis the other day, for sure they will not make any Baht out of me, with that location i would never pay 100 B for a pizza, no problem with paying 300-400 for a pizza in a nice location. I will try them if they move but until then i can wait.

This thread is sure making me hungry.

My thoughts on pizza in Thailand (and elsewhere): I had some of the worst pizza of my life last night (i won't say where)

I've had the M & M pizza in Rawai and can't say I was impressed although the crust was good.

I will agree with New Yorkers who say their pizza is the best in the world. (they say it has something to do with the water from the Catskills or something like that) (although many of them put too much cheese on but American's always overindulge)

Italian and European pizza is lacking in the ingredients and toppings to me.

I think those wood fired clay or cement pizza ovens are overrated.

Tobasco does go good with certain toppings (and chicken just is not right on a pizza)

Pepperoni is the best topping. (with lemon pepper)

Artichoke hearts are good too (although not together with pepperoni)

Almost all veggies are good in the right combinations.

Now, if I could only find some pre-made pizza dough (am proud new owner of an oven as of 2 days ago and am excited to make my own)

This thread is sure making me hungry.

My thoughts on pizza in Thailand (and elsewhere): I had some of the worst pizza of my life last night (i won't say where)

I've had the M & M pizza in Rawai and can't say I was impressed although the crust was good.

I will agree with New Yorkers who say their pizza is the best in the world. (they say it has something to do with the water from the Catskills or something like that) (although many of them put too much cheese on but American's always overindulge)

Italian and European pizza is lacking in the ingredients and toppings to me.

I think those wood fired clay or cement pizza ovens are overrated.

Tobasco does go good with certain toppings (and chicken just is not right on a pizza)

Pepperoni is the best topping. (with lemon pepper)

Artichoke hearts are good too (although not together with pepperoni)

Almost all veggies are good in the right combinations.

Now, if I could only find some pre-made pizza dough (am proud new owner of an oven as of 2 days ago and am excited to make my own)

makro, 4 different frozen pizza doughs, approx 50 baht for a 3 pack

pepperoni in carrefour, Jungceylon.

Time to cook lunch :)

You can also make pizza dough in a bread maker.

My friends who first recommended Ellis consistently visit everytime they are in from Hong Kong. The only thing I don't like about the location is having to reverse my pickup out of the narrow soi. Italian music in the restaurant was pretty cool & the food is great.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ive ate at ellis, M and M's and today for the first time I decided to try Amalfi's. Ive always thought m and m's was average at best and they dont seem to know the meaning of fresh herbs. Like literally if you ask for fresh herbs they don't even know what they are! The best you will get is some dry oregano. Anyhow their pizzas are bland and the base is too greasy and flour(ee).

id give it 6 out of 10

Elllis again was similar to M and M's taste wise. Just nothing special, very average.

5 out of 10 id give it.

Amalfis... The base was perfect, thin to make for a not too filling pizza. The base is also subtle in taste so its really the toppings you are getting into you and honestly it was one of the best pizzas I have ever had! 10-10!!!!!!!!!!!! I honestly couldnt think of anything that would have improved it. In fact im currently trying to resist eating my second of the day but I'm trying to keep in shape!

Hey Fiddlehead! Let me know when you need a taste tester for your homemade pizza.

Or anyone else who needs an unbiased opinion on their homemade recipes. You don't even have to deliver as I will come to you. Don't worry about supplying beer , I'll bring my own.

Ok if I bring my wife and a few friends?

:partytime2:

back to the thread: I've eaten at the Ellis place a few times and the food was always excellent! The place had it's own unique ambience. It seems to be closed for good now. Does anyone know whether they moved to a new location?

• 9 months later...

Hey Fiddlehead! Let me know when you need a taste tester for your homemade pizza.

Or anyone else who needs an unbiased opinion on their homemade recipes. You don't even have to deliver as I will come to you. Don't worry about supplying beer , I'll bring my own.

Ok if I bring my wife and a few friends?

:partytime2:

back to the thread: I've eaten at the Ellis place a few times and the food was always excellent! The place had it's own unique ambience. It seems to be closed for good now. Does anyone know whether they moved to a new location?

They opened up again! They had health problems last year so they had to go back to Italy, problems now solved.They opened again in november.

Now they're open for lunch and dinner and doubled the space. They rented two town houses and doubled the number of tables at the same location.

Always same excellent food at very popular prices.