Chanote; How Long Between Registering At Land Office

we (hubby and i) went with MIL in may 2009 to move a small piece of ex paddy land (sor kor 1) to chanote in hubby's name. all the paperwork was completed in kornbury (korat) and in the local amphur (soeng saeng) offices.

we gave his mother a POA for finishing up the paper work since we had to return to israel. his mother has been checking in every month and the offices keep telling her 'in an other month', there is a long list of names ahead of you that are waiting also (for the surveyor? for what else im not sure)... she tells us they tell her that since the changwat is so big (korat) and the office doesnt have staff, there is a long wait.

the person that has land bordering our piece has signed all forms personally-there are no land border issues with him.

there is a small stream bordering one side, the village road over a bridge the third border (minus the amount of land that the county takes in to consideration) and same same for the fourth border which is a small dirt road that also borders MIL's land.

his mother is a straightforward sort, no funny play here, but a little old lady and banork. so maybe the office is jerking her around. (father in law is useless with papers, he's an old fashioned hunter). also, do POA have calendaral limits , will we have to renew ? we wont get to thailand again for quite a while but want to finish this chanote.

. MIL has all receipts for services that were paid, taxes were all sorted out, etc.

how long does it take to finish these things??

bina and anon

israel

I would not be too hopeful because we have been trying for years to get my wife's land turned into a chanote. We have already paid Bt60,000 in "fees". Officially I don't think any kind of agricultural land can be turned into a "chanote" or for that matter sold.

We had a house (1 ngan) with nor sor 3 papers in a developed housing estate, took just over 6 months and about 30k in golden grease for the chanote. Our new house on nor sor 3 (1 rai) was on raw land, well documented, neighbors amenable and signed; this took just about a year with weekly visits to the Changwad land office by my very jai dee wife. Some false leads and bad advice wound up with about 60k in GG paid out.

One of our blocks of land is in the same situation, this is the fouth year after applying for chanort, and my husband has been actively pursuing this on a regular basis. Finally we are told to expect the surveyors in Jan 2010.

It has cost quite a bit in "fees". And we will have to pay for it to be surveyed again ( this is the 4th time ) but we have been told that this is the final stages and to expect chanort early this year. Don't ask why it has to be surveyed 4 times, the first time the bloke that did it died, so they did it again, the rest I don't know. One can never get a clear explanation.

The rules seem to change all the time.

ok, i feel better now that others are in the same boat......:D(

yes, we are heading towards the 6 month mark, but was also afraid of the 'additonal fees' problem as it seemed too easy when we were there , paid the fees, got the papers and stamps and whatever else. also, the whole changwat is only on paper, those giant geologic survey types sheets-- not computerized. i am foreseeing border/boundry problems, not with the teacher neighbhor and his cassava, but with the amphur/tambon on the three sides: stream, village road, and side road measurements... it almost would have been better to keep the piece of land on MIL' s side, and build next to sis and brother in laws (all thee siblings, in a row), but we chose to trade with fourth sibling, using a piece of ti land to trade for the piece away a bit from them... also the only piece (it has the chanote papers, we just want the name transferred to my husband)that is not morgtaged out to the bank...

the reason we want land in his name is so that in future, if we want to move to thailand, we want hm to have some property so that when applying for visa for me, he has some kind of assets (land being the only asset he could have. )since for farang women there are no other requirements, but taxes/land taxes /ownership could be asked about.

60 000 baht for?<>>>>>>>>?

so we will have to bug MIL to trundle off to the changwat office again:bah: :) , i guess physical prescense of a little old lady chewing betel will be better then the brother making phone calls.?

We have a piece of land that the wife had bought from her sister.It has a full chanot so it should be no problem with it.I do not wish to do anything with the land until it is in the wifes name.She has said to me that after you go to the ampor to apply for the land in your name they will post a notice that the land is being sold and anyone that have a claim has 3 months to claim.So it will take at least 3 months to get it done.Then they will do the survey of the land.BUT...........She has said that they do not like to survey in the rainy season.This could be the reason for the long delay in getting the chanot.

Just recently got the charnote title for our rubber factory ! year after appling, at the same time we applied for charnote on a 50 rai block. All the land and paper is in order, but the 50 rai is far from a main road and we were told, because of this it could be up to 10 years before that area was done.

You must remember that it was only a few years back that the Government decided to begin a survey of land titles throughout the Kingdom. No samll job. Jim

rain. that could be it. its on a 'main' road so distance inst the problem; we were told 'next month' so next month i will update. MIL was told that there are tons of people in line ahead of her/us, hence the delay and there is only one person plus helper to do the job. something like that.

bina

• 3 months later...

update:

we, that is, husband, called the land office, long distance from here to find out what is going on with the 'getting chanote procedure'... he was put on hold, he got irritated, and hung up... called older brother, got brother to call land office (we gave him the phone number whih we got from the website, as they have no access to directories/websites etc)... brother called. answer: there are thousands of requests , jai yen yen, just be patient and wait. we have been waiting a year. on other hand, getting paperwork done on rai was no problem for our pu yai baan, it took him 6 months.

although we applied way before teh february 8 deadline of this year, the waiting list, work load etc has been overwhelming, and also, apparently, new boss in the land office of korat (kornburi)...

wait and see.

bina

israel

update:

we, that is, husband, called the land office, long distance from here to find out what is going on with the 'getting chanote procedure'... he was put on hold, he got irritated, and hung up... called older brother, got brother to call land office (we gave him the phone number whih we got from the website, as they have no access to directories/websites etc)... brother called. answer: there are thousands of requests , jai yen yen, just be patient and wait. we have been waiting a year. on other hand, getting paperwork done on rai was no problem for our pu yai baan, it took him 6 months.

although we applied way before teh february 8 deadline of this year, the waiting list, work load etc has been overwhelming, and also, apparently, new boss in the land office of korat (kornburi)...

wait and see.

bina

israel

i've just had some land transferred on a chanote with no real problems.

it's largely how you treat the thai officials. if you hassle or not be jai yen yen and adopt a western attitude then you pay the price

caf

did i fail to mention that hubby is thai i am the jai yen one in the family, and last year they told us it would be a matter of 2-3 months and everything is signed stamped just the land measurer... this is the first time we have called in a year...so not a western attitude at all...i am more thai in maipenrai then he is...we were told to wait as thousands are now waiting...i think the sorbor 3 is more complex then others...

bina

israel

• 4 weeks later...

in case anyone is interested in follow up: we have spent tons of shekels on phone calls to anon's mom.... at first, they misplaced the papers and father had moved them to their shack as opposed to sis in law's house. papers found, mom went to khonburi to find out why not finished after being told on phone to 'jai yen yen, lots of people in line for same'. finally told 'cant be turned in to chanote'. MIL did not accept that answer since we were told that is could be converted and just needed a final step to get the chanote. MIL went to korat land office and spoke to the mayor/gov. whomeever that deals with citizen complains and also the land office. she was told 'no problem, one more month and should be ok, if not, come back and let us know.'.

obviously the khonburi city hall people want 'tea money' and so lied. we will now know in one more month.

fingers crossed. its been almost one year since we did all the paper work.........

bina

israel