Home Security Recommendations

craigt3365

The current project for the house is a home security system. I have read plenty of posts here and know it is a must! Also, have seen some recommendations regarding firms. PTL, Master Safety Enterprises, Master Safety Co., and ESC are ones that I have read about. Just curious if there are any others that stand out for a recommendation? My house is in Baan Amphur, near the Ambassador Hotel.

Also, does anyone know about European rolling shutters? A friend of mine in Las Vegas installed them on his house and they look great. And I am guessing work great also. He is gone for 4-6 months a year, lives in a very rural area, and has never had a problem (Vegas is well know for lots of breakins).

Unfortunately, we can't get a dog...but are looking into having somebody at our house when we are away. It is when we are home that I am really worried. Don't want a wet bed when I see somebody in my bedroom at 3am! In Las Vegas I kept an unloaded shotgun nearby...figured just cocking the thing would get rid of someone...and being unloaded, I wouldn't shoot my foot off!

I would appreciate any thoughts you all might have.

Thanks!!!!!

Craig

I did submit a proposal ...but had it removed,possibly for describing the result,but Ill give it one last shot. A swnging arm actually a weighted swinging arm attached preferably to the ceiling of a narrow walkway in the house, I had mine chromed and indeed when in the ceiling position ie fixed it looked quite a feature. The arm pivoted on a chromed fixed point In the armed mode ie (a piece of fishing line at ankle height) was pulled the retaining pin was withdrawn that held the arm in position sending the arm on its way,the head of the arm about 4.5 feet from ground level, A spike (removable) was attached at a position of 280 degrees from the horizontal,the angle to give maximum result on the downward swing.

Did its job anyway,had no more callers after one trial run.

I did submit a proposal ...but had it removed,possibly for describing the result,but Ill give it one last shot. A swnging arm actually a weighted swinging arm attached preferably to the ceiling of a narrow walkway in the house, I had mine chromed and indeed when in the ceiling position ie fixed it looked quite a feature. The arm pivoted on a chromed fixed point In the armed mode ie (a piece of fishing line at ankle height) was pulled the retaining pin was withdrawn that held the arm in position sending the arm on its way,the head of the arm about 4.5 feet from ground level, A spike (removable) was attached at a position of 280 degrees from the horizontal,the angle to give maximum result on the downward swing.

???? What exactly is that? :)

Anyways, Hörmann doors are available in Thailand, PM me for details :D

Basically a swinging arm,OK with a couple of added features.The spike,actually I did mine at 15 inches in length, the fixing bracket was deliberately weakened in the ceiling so the whole thing detached and became as one in the intended.I suppose if you are that way inclined the spike could incorporate a barb but lets not go into detail.

Im in a rented condo right now, I put one in the house I owned previously,Ill see if I can dig something out.Not really thought of taking a detailed photo of it though .Simple enough to make/install just right for the darkside I should imagine.

Im in a rented condo right now, I put one in the house I owned previously,Ill see if I can dig something out.Not really thought of taking a detailed photo of it though .Simple enough to make/install just right for the darkside I should imagine.

Better don't come home pissed and forgetting about the device :)

Hard to visualize, sounds very medieval

Better don't come home pissed and forgetting about the device :)

That's what I'm thinking

getting nailed by your own device

Hard to visualize, sounds very medieval

I think I got it now...does the kit come with a bucket and a mob?

Basically a swinging arm,OK with a couple of added features.The spike,actually I did mine at 15 inches in length, the fixing bracket was deliberately weakened in the ceiling so the whole thing detached and became as one in the intended.I suppose if you are that way inclined the spike could incorporate a barb but lets not go into detail.

Believe the OP was asking about serious intruder protection not something that will kill or maim and put him in jail.

Believe the OP was asking about serious intruder protection not something that will kill or maim and put him in jail.

Yes, that is what I am looking for. It would be my luck on of the relatives would stumble into this trap...not a good outcome. Think I will pass on this type of security!

I have gotten a few PMs. Thanks! I think the new wireless technology is a great way to go. Hooked into a PC with cameras, etc. The builder is going to install motion detectors with lights and alarms on every corner of the property. Not loud alarms for these, but enough to hopefully scare some off.

I will try and post an update of the final arrangements. It is a bit costly, but worth it in the end!

Craig

I have a mixture of door/window alarms coupled to motion sensors and automatic halogen lights around the house. It is a good idea to mix the systems, manufactures and power source. That way if one system goes down there is another system still in operation.

Don't underestimate the value of cameras placed high up so they can not be reached. Some cameras or camera cases that can be seen from the road don't hurt either. The hard drives should be inside a secure room

The bedroom can be made into secure room with a steel door or bolts on the existing wooden door, a camera placed in the open area of the lounge say, with a monitor inside the bedroom will show you if there are intruders inside the house without going outside. A panic button or siren can easily be wired from the bedroom, keep your telephone in the bedroom as well.

Motion detectors are OK used in cold weather climes,here in Thailand they become virtually useless especially when the weather warms up.Cover exposed skin,move slowly,see just how close you get to a detector to make it work,at times never.

Electrify the back door,by-pass the curcuit breakers,put a pot of water at foot of door that will easily overturn,thats a good deterrent.

MElectrify the back door,by-pass the curcuit breakers,put a pot of water at foot of door that will easily overturn,thats a good deterrent.

Again a killing machine ???! :D

Where are you from jb4446 ?

Do you realize how stupid it is to suggest a system that would automatically kill anyone who try to enter ?

I whish I never will be one of your neighbors :)

Have a heavy big arse safe securely bolted down to concrete .Many robbers are looking for gold and cash which you can keep in a safe .

I also like the idea of having the bedroom as a safe room .I would not want to wake up with a knife at my throat .

Motion detectors are OK used in cold weather climes,here in Thailand they become virtually useless especially when the weather warms up.Cover exposed skin,move slowly,see just how close you get to a detector to make it work,at times never.

Electrify the back door,by-pass the curcuit breakers,put a pot of water at foot of door that will easily overturn,thats a good deterrent.

Are you sure you still seeing your doctor on a regular base?

Well I may just have my first post deleted by a moderator, I hope not.

Anyone entering my property with intent to do bodily or property harm is a waste of skin and does not deserve the air he is using.

Whether I am willing to end their life is a very different consideration.

Unfortunately traps of the kind discussed here are pretty silly. Maybe the metal door, panic room ideas deserve consideration.

The Thais would not let me bring in my Texas burglar alarm. Speaking of guns an unloaded gun is just a scary looking stick and NO gun should be pulled or pointed unless you are

trained in its use and willing to deal with the consequences of using deadly force. I am well trained and kept my skills current back in the world. I have thought of the conditions in which I would

be willing to use deadly force and accept the consequences. Taking a life is so easy to talk about in the abstract, but the real thing is a life changing event and not just for the one with a round or 2 in them (always double tap).

It is silly for someone with no weapons training, nor recent and regular practice to even own a gun.

Best idea for the untrained is to make yourself not look like an easy victim. Also many passive suggestions have been mentioned and when visible to the general thief will elict alternative target seeking behavior.

Be safe and smart

kdf

Not a smart system for a falang in any home in Thailand.

If used, it would have you in and out of court for the rest of your bank balance or life, what ever goes first.

not a good idea.