General Anupong Rules Out Coup Next Year

webfact

It doesn't seem likely Newin would find welcoming arms from Thaksin if Thaksin's minions managed a re-coup of power.

So I can not see that the current coalition is so much in disarray in this possible eventuality.

The only side that could want a coup is Thaksins. Newin benefits more from elections minus Thaksin,

and with Dems than anything resembling a Thaksin lead government.

So Suthep can expect cooperation if push comes to shove vs Thaksin's probable attempts at treasonous action.

Oh and please in future;

add all the stuff around my words when you quote me.

Such as what is bold highlighted above.

Since you ignored the surrounding text, it made it possible for twist my words

just enough to try and make your less than clear rebuttal argument.

In context my point comes across more as a well reasoned argument,

and not a hyperbolic statement for you to skewer at will.

Amen

LaoPo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And on the seventh day he rested?

:) ..in the old days they did.

Nowadays there's a side -certain countries in the Far East- who works 7 days a week and another -the West- 5 days.... :D

Ah well, that's the difference between the haves and the haves not. It's all in the game.

LaoPo

Regarding the assets case, I think a percentage of between 10 to 20% will be returned to Thaksin, enough to show acknowledgment of funds earned prior to being PM, but crippling most of his wealth in Thailand.

If that were to come to pass, I imagine most of that would go

to the now pretty much silent other side of the defunct marriage bed.

Let him try and weasel it out of her if he can....

Still, not all his funds were in this pile,

as has been quite clearly shown he had large undeclared,

and thus illegal amounts off shore.

So maybe they could say,

this is from an questionably legal enterprise, but it's what we can lay our hands on,

out of what we know is a bigger pile he also has illegally off shore,

in contradiction of Thai law.

Edited by animatic

Regarding the assets case, I think a percentage of between 10 to 20% will be returned to Thaksin, enough to show acknowledgment of funds earned prior to being PM, but crippling most of his wealth in Thailand.

If that were to come to pass, I imagine most of that would go

to the now pretty much silent other side of the defunct marriage bed.

Let him try and weasel it out of her if he can....

Still, not all his funds were in this pile,

as has been quite clearly shown he had large undeclared,

and thus illegal amounts off shore.

So maybe they could say,

this is from an questionably legal enterprise, but it's what we can lay our hands on,

out of what we know is a bigger pile he also has illegally off shore,

in contradiction of Thai law.

On the basis that TIT, anything can happen. However, the scenario you describe would be tantamount to a completely arbitrary judgement. Precedent law doesn't exist in Thailand and thank god too, because a judgement like that would have every single well to do Thai quivering in his boots.

And well they might quake if they are hiding cash off shore illegally.

RICO laws in USA go after all assets if a large percentage are deemed illegal,

it is assumed that regardless of laundering and such, a preponderance is

of illegal provenance and so most is subject to confiscation.

Let the lwayers prove the provenance later.

The only side that could want a coup is Thaksins.

Incorrect.

You don't want to bet too much money on that....you might loose.

There are more possible causes for a coup if the coalition falls to pieces and I painted the scenario above.

Too many democracy examples of failing coalitions. They happen all the time and Thailand would be no exception to the rule, not even being a democracy.

The only difference between Thailand and real democracies are the Generals.

LaoPo

IN this your statement "Incorrect"

implies quite clearly that others than the 'Thaksin Side',

would want a coup in 2010.

Secondly "possible causes" means nothing,

if there are not PEOPLE behind the coup to make it happen.

Since I NEVER quoted you, only tried to parse your rather obscured meaning in this post,

that directly stated that ; I am "incorrect", then you have made a statement with no backing facts.

Just some vague general scenario.

And since your point directly countradicted mine, demanding an apology for not

just rolling over as subservient supplicant to your intellect is quite disingenuous.

Animatic, you are the last person on Thaivisa who should castigate a member for "obscure meanings".

The only side that could want a coup is Thaksins.

Incorrect.

You don't want to bet too much money on that....you might loose.

There are more possible causes for a coup if the coalition falls to pieces and I painted the scenario above.

Too many democracy examples of failing coalitions. They happen all the time and Thailand would be no exception to the rule, not even being a democracy.

The only difference between Thailand and real democracies are the Generals.

LaoPo

IN this your statement "Incorrect"

implies quite clearly that others than the 'Thaksin Side',

would want a coup in 2010.

Secondly "possible causes" means nothing,

if there are not PEOPLE behind the coup to make it happen.

Since I NEVER quoted you, only tried to parse your rather obscured meaning in this post,

that directly stated that ; I am "incorrect", then you have made a statement with no backing facts.

Just some vague general scenario.

And since your point directly countradicted mine, demanding an apology for not

just rolling over as subservient supplicant to your intellect is quite disingenuous.

Animatic, you are the last person on Thaivisa who should castigate a member for "obscure meanings".

And you seem to be the first person to castigate me these days.

Makes me almost miss ferwert... well not quite.

And that mini-flame is apropos of what?

Read his post above, it is not at all clear.

He usually is, and that's why the comment.

One camp consists of traditional loyalists, another follows the money especially closely and other camps range from the indifferent to the weathermen who watch which way the wind blows.

So you mean one part is he traditional loyalist and the rest have no idea what the f...they think or want but only want the money etc :)

Supreme Army Commander Gen Anupong stated that the army's (military's) concerns were nation, religion and the monarchy, and I believe he made the otherwise ludicrous statement there wouldn't be a coup this year in the setting of a news conference and in response to the specific question from the press, rather than as a pronouncement out of the blue. The question itself reflects the always tenuous nature of Thai democracy, particularly in the present, while the answer compounds our concerns.

I am sure Gen. Anupong's answer of no coup this year refers to any action that may be contemplated by red generals, officers and troop units loyal to them because the reds in the armed forces are on the outside of power and government. The reds' guy isn't even in the country much less in the government, so if, as increasingly appears to be the case, the government could be headed into an election this year from an improved position, how else but by a coup could the red generals get their guy reinstalled?

Why would a general pleased or satisfied with the present government want to overthrow it in yet another coup under the spotlights of CNN, the BBC and the like turned back on them again? The government isn't disintegrating so that possible reason for a coup doesn't presently exist. If in the events surrounding the decision in the Thaksin assets case there is any street chaos, the army would be the final barrier to prevent any collapse of the government. So Gen Anupong and his loyal commanders shouldn't have any reason whatsoever to be contemplating a coup.

My Post # 36 to this thread discusses the core matter of any sociopolitical views red generals and any officer followers in the military might have, probably do have, to include any political ideology red generals are likely to harbor. Career military officers are grads of the nation's military academy which, noting the code stated by Gen Anupong, teaches and imbues them with the nation's code. Some may stray from the code for ideological reasons and/or for other additional reasons, or may acquire a different interpretation of the code. One such possible additional reason to stray very well could be money. 

Assuming red generals do have sociopolitical views, do have a political ideology, nothing says they wouldn't mind an additional house in the countryside or a yacht. Core views or no core views, as we've seen so often in the past, for instance turncoat spies during the Cold War, money usually trumps ideology and codes.  

Edited by Publicus

.... how else but by a coup could the red generals get their guy reinstalled?

Through fair elections Einstein.The likes of Anupong came to prominence through a military coup and contempt for democracy.

In a democratic system with division of power it is debatable whether elections could return Thaksin. Right now he is a convicted criminal and awaits trial which is under the judiciary and not the legislature or executive. A parlaiment could theoretically grant an amnesty on a conviction but it would have a lot of trouble trying to legislate away upcoming trials and it could be a situation whereby a constitutional court ruling would be needed over seperation of powers. Considering the poltical mess in Thailand that would be quite some challenge for Thai democracy.

Anupong was prominent and in line to his present chair prior to the 2006 coup.

He just made the transition as his boss rotated out,

partly choosen because he was not seen as a loose cannon.

Just as his replacement will rotate into the chair in 9-10 months,

Through fair elections Einstein.The likes of Anupong came to prominence through a military coup and contempt for democracy.

The complete sentence I wrote is:

"The reds' guy isn't even in the country much less in the government, so if, as increasingly appears to be the case, the government could be heading into an election this year from an improved position, how else than by a coup could the red generals get their guy installed?"

The elements of my statement are:

*an election

*the view Abhisit's chances of winning it are improving steadily

*should Abhisit win, Thaksin's only viable path to power would be via a red coup.

Kindly watch both your quoting practices and your manners, thank you. 

"The reds' guy isn't even in the country much less in the government, so if, as increasingly appears to be the case, the government could be heading into an election this year from an improved position, how else than by a coup could the red generals get their guy installed?"

*an election

*should Abhisit win, Thaksin's only viable path to power would be via a red coup.

Perhaps you should watch yours too. The poster made a valid point and was quite polite about it.

If you cool your posts down you may get a more sympathetic hearing for your strange ideas. :)

caf

*an election

Perhaps you should watch yours too. The poster made a valid point and was quite polite about it.

If you cool your posts down you may get a more sympathetic hearing for your strange ideas. :)

caf

The exact same can be said for many of your recent posts Caf.

They have seemed very 'directed' as of late, mostly negatively monochromatic,

and with a rather limited field of subjects.

Bee in your bonnet?

The points Pub is making are quite logical.

His last comment is about making hyper critical personal comments towards him regularly.

Jayboy did take him out of context, and twist the meaning, S.O.P for him.

The sarcastic, low comedy, use of "Einstein" was a just sub-flame,

meant in a negative light. Meant as a dig to enflame feelings.

And as such is subject to an admonition about watching manners.

But you need not have weighed in on a personal basis such as this.

Some of us want to read Publicus' assorted thoughts,

without a very few others personalizing editorials about his style.

Since they often come as a intended distraction from his points.

I would rather not be made to feel motivated to even have to say this.

The mods have given warnings about family feuds,

and yet you keep at him, and often me.

Edited by animatic

Far from it.It was a light hearted comment on the hypocrisy of generals who have achieved influence through a military coup taking a moral posiition about any such future events.If the soubriquet offends I am happy to withdraw it.

Far from it.It was a light hearted comment on the hypocrisy of generals who have achieved influence through a military coup taking a moral posiition about any such future events.If the soubriquet offends I am happy to withdraw it.

I thought the same.

Publicus and Animatic are reading flames into posts where they do not exist if posters do not agree with their opinions.

Contrast the tone of my post "Perhaps you should..." with the reply " The exact can be..."

And the reference to moderator warnings? I suggest they use the report button not the open forum to complain. I can defend my posts. And you have shown in your reply that you can defend yours.

caf

I said last month I doubted Pheua Thai's claims to hold a censure debate as soon as Parliament opened and now I see it's been put back to next month or March.

Not enough information to grill. They really should start to feel embarrassed with their countless unfulfilled claims.

*an election

If you cool your posts down you may get a more sympathetic hearing for your strange ideas. :D

caf

Thank you for your (repeated...........and repeated.............and........)  suggestions and advice.

You can be sure they will receive the appropriate attention and due consideration they deserve. :)  

Quoting when replying

caf, Animatic, Publicus, etc:

Please quote only the part of a post to which you are replying, not complete lengthy posts or even multiple nested posts. From the Forum Netiquette:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing...

Thank you.

--

Maestro